Got my Mod. 1 tomorrow!

iSoupz
This post is 4676 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So, I'm doing my Module 1 Motorcycle test tomorrow.

I'm doing it for the 2nd time now. The first time, I did everything perfectly but ended up putting my foot down during the slow riding part (THE LAST BASTARD PART).

So, I'm giving it another shot. I shall remember this time, with any luck, to just look straight ahead instead of looking at the instructor and trying to balance.

With all that having been said: Anybody got any advice for the test in general?

Any advice for if I pass, regarding my Module 2 which I shall be booking assuming I pass?

Cheers!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Good luck mate :thumb: take care if it's wet

Cheers! Mmm, looks like I'm going to have to take extra care with the rate it's raining, especially as I've heard stories of people breaking legs etc on the swerve section - which is pretty counter productive when trying to pass a test.

I know its hard at the time but try to just relax.

Ride as normal but with more concentration on what your doing. Go through the hole procedure in your head as you go,,,,,,even talk out loud to yourself if it helps. This might make it easier for you and as you do it you will know whats comming up next. Stay focused but without tensing up,,relax your body and arms, keep your knees close to the tank. Keep your head up straight not looking at the ground,,,,,look where you want the bike to go Not where the bike is going,,,,this works because your head has alot to do with ballance, when your head is turned or tilted that is usually the direction in which the bike will go. Drag back brake on the slow stuff,,helps with ballance. Dont do anything rash if its belting down rain on the day.

Be confident in everything you do and most of all,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Good luck ;)

MOD 1 Test tips:

The test starts from the moment you get on the bike, so don't forget observations even before you're on the testing ground. Remember this sequence....Neutral/Ignition/Stand.....when getting off the bike.

Enter the first available box to complete the manual handling exercise, push it back out as if you're leaving a parking space at Tesco, use observation techniques constantly, keep going backwards in a U shape so that once you've backed into and come to a stop in the second box you'll be ready to ride out for the slalom/ figure 8. When you've finished manually manouvering your bike, stay close to it, even inadvertantly kicking a cone with your foot is a fail.

Don't count the figutre 8's only stop when he calls you over(it has been known for some people to only complete 1.5 circuits)

Pull off and round the bend, accelerate pretty hard out of the bend and only back off once your through the speed trap, flick the bike through the avoidance (if they're still doing it) and front wheel stop into the box.

The next bit is where alot of people fail, the U-Turn. Observations before you pull off, THEN AGAIN BEFORE you make the turn, don't look down! find a point in the distance towards where you want the bike to go and look at that.

Slow ride keeping up with the examiner, as 2 wheels said, drag the rear brake slightlighy keeping the chain 'tight' aids control, look where you want to go and you'll be fine Then back around the bend and through the speed trap again (Same as before) but this time it's an emergency stop. Leave the gears alone and leave the clutch until the very last seconds, stalling is OK (better if you don't) but losing control (without regaining it) is not.

Remember the test is not over until the bike is back in the parking space you started from so don't forget observations even once your off the playground. Park and get off! The test is now over.

Make sure that the bike you take the test on is between 120 & 125cc and is on the DSA's acceptable list. Some machines are not.

Make sure your insurance, MOT and Tax disc are all up to date, unbelievably when we went there was a young lad turned away from his test before it had even begun as his bike was not taxed!

I didn't know they tested on a Sunday, you learn something new everyday eh!

All the very best of luck, and don't forget to come back and let us know that you passed.

Cheers to you all for the help and friendly advice. I've spent a while reading through it all and I'm sure it's going to come in very handy!

I'll drop in tomorrow and let you all know if I pass or not.

It'll probably be a fail, but y'know - I can always book it again!

Best of luck soupz, cant really add to the great advice already given, sit up proud like your riding a horse and getting paid overtime ;)

So, I'm doing my Module 1 Motorcycle test tomorrow.

I'm doing it for the 2nd time now. The first time, I did everything perfectly but ended up putting my foot down during the slow riding part (THE LAST BASTARD PART).

So, I'm giving it another shot. I shall remember this time, with any luck, to just look straight ahead instead of looking at the instructor and trying to balance.

With all that having been said: Anybody got any advice for the test in general?

Any advice for if I pass, regarding my Module 2 which I shall be booking assuming I pass?

Cheers!

Observations

Relaxed arms

Enough speed through the curve so you dont have to gun too much coming out of it

Good luck, youve done it once save for a minor, you can do it agian

It's looking unlikely at the minute, it's hammering it down!

Well,,,,how ya get on ??? :rolleyes:

Well,,,,how ya get on ??? :rolleyes:

I failed.

They failed me because my bike skid a little bit on the emergency stop.

Normally, I wouldn't argue - but it's been raining for about 24 hours. Give me a fuckin' break.

I failed.

They failed me because my bike skid a little bit on the emergency stop.

Normally, I wouldn't argue - but it's been raining for about 24 hours. Give me a fuckin' break.

A shit man :(

That is just being nasty they are.

If you done everything right and the skid was only small and you controled the bike then i think they should of passed you.

I get the feeling they just want more money off ya.

A shit man :(

That is just being nasty they are.

If you done everything right and the skid was only small and you controled the bike then i think they should of passed you.

I get the feeling they just want more money off ya.

Ah well. Just means now I get to fester in a really bad mood for a while and decided whether I now book my Module 1 for the 3rd fucking time or if I just give up.

Mate, dont give up !

The joys of biking are too good to be missed out on. Seriously.

Your bad mood will pass and things will get better.

Take a few days to relax then re-book. Give yourself some time to save up the costs of the test again.

Dont be put off by failing, youre a good biker just luck isnt on your side at the moment.

You will look back in a few years and laugh at the time you were trying to pass your test,,,,,thinking to yourself now i have covered thousands of miles on my bike, i'm glad i did it.

I know a lot of lads that tell nobody they are doing there test,,,,,,,,for fear of failing,,,,,,,,,,,so hats off to ya for putting it on the forum and not being shy about the hole thing.

Dont be disheartened,,,,,,,,,,next time you will nail it.

Bad luck, but their reasoning is probably that it rains after you've passed your test so you need to be able to stop without skidding. Infact a skid is fine if you regain control and bring the bike to a controlled halt, but if you stop in a skid you fail. Anyway look on the bright side, at least this is the cheap part, the Mod 2 test is £75.00!

When you pass next time make sure you get some proper training before you tackle the Mod 2 test.

Oh and remember POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE!

It's looking unlikely at the minute, it's hammering it down!

I'll drop in tomorrow and let you all know if I pass or not.

It'll probably be a fail, but y'know - I can always book it again!

This sort of thinking ain't gonna help! Have some confidence man!

Right, that's you told! ;)

Ah well. Just means now I get to fester in a really bad mood for a while and decided whether I now book my Module 1 for the 3rd fucking time or if I just give up.

Fester for a very short while

Then breeeeaaaathe deep, get up, and take it again, youve done all the hard work twice, claim your place on the roads with the rest of us

Keep at it!, if you give up now you will be missing out on the enjoyment of riding, i had to take my mod 2 twice before i passed, got there in the end though and so will you,

Here's a motivational picture for you...

NEVER.jpg

Thanks loads to all of you for the support. It means a lot!

However, I can't even afford to take my Module 1 again now for about a month. (Gotta love monthly pay from work). So looks like alls I can do now is just sit and wait!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online