L-plate journey from Cheshire to Loch Ness and back

This post is 4675 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

I'm planning a ride on my 125 bike starting from Congleton (Cheshire)on 15 July (around noon). The idea is to reach Loch Ness on 16-th and to spend Saturday night in Inverness. Everyone is welcome to join me for the whole trip or for any part.

One possible route is Congleton - Worrington - Wigan - Preston - Carlisle - Galsgow - Fort William - Inverness. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated, especially if someone can recommend a place to stay on Friday night - somewhere between Carlisle and Galsgow.

I'm aware that the success of a journey like this is strongly dependent on the weather and other factors that are difficult topredict, but at least it does worth trying.

Hope there are other enthusiasts around to participate.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

......I'm aware that the success of a journey like this is strongly dependent on the weather and other factors that are difficult topredict, but at least it does worth trying.

Hope the weather is kind for you Georgie, and here is a factor to predict...Petrol station availability? lots of in town stations will close so plan your distances carefully or you'll be sleeping on the grass verge when you go onto reserve like I did all those years ago with a trip from Glossop to Cornwall. :D

Have a great trip and let us know how it goes B)

:lol::lol:

Like the idea but your bike does comfortably more to the gallon than mine does to a tankfull.

Best of luck to you though, love the spirit.

:lol::lol:

Like the idea but your bike does comfortably more to the gallon than mine does to a tankfull.

Best of luck to you though, love the spirit.

A cracking trip that, mind you seeing as you are up in Inverness, why not add an extra day to your trip and get up to John O'groats too, the coast road from Inverness to John O'groats was made for a bike, but like OG says keep in mind where petrol stations are. ;)

400 miles each way! thats some journey on a 125, best of luck to you!

the view in the highlands is amazing just remember to keep one eye on the road though, and remember your going to go through at least 2 tanks of fuel each way!

i hope you get great weather and have a cracking time and let us know how it went!! :D

Hope the weather is kind for you Georgie, and here is a factor to predict...Petrol station availability? lots of in town stations will close so plan your distances carefully or you'll be sleeping on the grass verge when you go onto reserve like I did all those years ago with a trip from Glossop to Cornwall. :D

Have a great trip and let us know how it goes B)

Good point. I have planned the refueling stops in major towns and ... I'm taking my sleeping bag anyway ;)

Thanks.

@NEVUnfortunately no chance for an extra day. So leaving John O'groats for the next time.

cheerfulgrin, I'm planning a top up stop every 100 - 130 miles. I have to stretch my legs from time to time. Don't want to finish with ugly pain in my back.

Overnight? Gretna Green. Plenty of places there and time for a few photos. Fantastic scenery all the way.

Good luck.

If i was over here i would tag-along with ya for a while.

Journey will be no boather for your YBR

Take your time and enjoy it

Best of luck to ya !

there's a youth hostel in carlise (well thee was when I cycled there) maybe book that so you have somewhere to aim for for. we travelled the A6 through the lakes to carlise (and beyond)on a trip to NW200 a few years ago takes ages but if you have the weather... fantastic journey.

good luck on your journey and takes lots of photos to show us when you get back!

Good point. I have planned the refueling stops in major towns and ... I'm taking my sleeping bag anyway ;)

Thanks.

[......

It hasnt forecast a dry weekend georgie but if that doesnt put you off (it would me) bear this in mind. Sleeping bags are not waterproof, I can understand you may not want to take a tent but really a waterproof cover for a sleeping bag is a must...any decent army / outdoor store will have them

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&sugexp=gsihc&xhr=t&q=survival+bag&cp=11&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4GGLL_enGB401GB402&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&ion=1&biw=1024&bih=540&wrapid=tljp1310550242609012&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=6011025849186126267&sa=X&ei=_GgdToOHFciDhQeAoam4Bw&sqi=2&ved=0CEEQ8wIwAA#

Yes, the forecast is not very optimistic, but this is my only free weekend in the near future and I won't give up easily.

Perhaps I should change the topic title to ...journey to somewhere north eventually. We'll see how far I can go. It's for the fun after all. If the weather gets miserable I can always change the direction to a nice pub.

oldgitonabike, I have some experience with flooded tent and wet sleeping bag. I'm not gonna do that again.

I like the idea for the youth hostel in Carlisle. (Gretna Green is nice, but I'm already married :) )

Yes, the forecast is not very optimistic, but this is my only free weekend in the near future and I won't give up easily.

Perhaps I should change the topic title to ...journey to somewhere north eventually. We'll see how far I can go. It's for the fun after all. If the weather gets miserable I can always change the direction to a nice pub.

oldgitonabike, I have some experience with flooded tent and wet sleeping bag. I'm not gonna do that again.

I like the idea for the youth hostel in Carlisle. (Gretna Green is nice, but I'm already married :) )

just checked out the hostel, its full :(

Did this run from cheshire [Runcorn]in 2006, god what a run that was set off on Friday at 12.00 dinnertime ish and reached fort Augustus on the shore of loch ness at 8.45pm and was pushin it most of the way. I was on my 600 fazer but my mates were on R1's and one lad on a 900 ninja. parked the bikes, shower and straight out. after brekkie and bit of a sober up went on the lake for bit of sight seeing jaunt, then rode upto inverness [28miles from FA] loch ness right by your side all the way awesome, returned home sunday teatime knackered, slept for 5hrs solid - 1148 mls over the weekend most my bikes ever done.really tired but what a rush. the scenery was just awesome

we stopped in a place called the Naa Roo Lodge in Fort Augustus its run by a ex isle of man sidecar racer found it on the 'bikestay' website

good luck you won't forget the ride mate enjoy

Best of luck with your journey today Georgiev, hope the sunshines on your Yamaha all the way to Loch Ness. Check out The Bothy' pub in Fort Augustus, very warm welcome there :-D

I managed to reach Carlisle today. Started around 10:30 from Cngloton and arrived at 17:10 here.

Could've been a bit shorter if I hadn't taken the wrong way between Worrington and Wigan.

I managed to book a discounted room in a hotel yesterday so I have where to stay tonight.

Next important thing is to find a proper place for dinner.

The plan for tomorrow depends very much on the weather. If it's going to rain too much I may decide to go back but not the same route.

Thnks to all of you for the support.

I'll keep yuo posted.

I managed to reach Carlisle today. Started around 10:30 from Cngloton and arrived at 17:10 here.

Could've been a bit shorter if I hadn't taken the wrong way between Worrington and Wigan.

I managed to book a discounted room in a hotel yesterday so I have where to stay tonight.

The plan for tomorrow depends very much on the weather. If it's going to rain too much I may decide to go back but not the same route.

I'll keep yuo posted.

Yes please, keep us posted ;)

I'll keep yuo posted.

Georgiev - post some pics to make us envious :photo2: .

The rest of you - All round to Georgiev's for a party :yay::headbang::elephant::beerchug:

I'll keep yuo posted.

Nice one Georgie, me and my lad were wondering where you'd be at, hope the weather is kind to you tomorrow, watch the locals up in Carlisle btw, they drink hot Vimto, proper weird :blink:

Aye keep us posted mate

Nice one Geordie, me and my lad were wondering where you'd be at, hope the weather is kind to you tomorrow, watch the locals up in Carlisle btw, they drink hot Vimto, proper weird :blink:

Aye keep us posted mate

hot cheeky Vimtos :D

good going today and you got the weather as well!

I'm back home.

It was raining this morning and expected to rain the hole day. So my journy to Soctland is put on hold until I manage to combine good weather and free weekend.

Since I was going to get soaked anyway, I decided take A592 insted A6 south from Penrith to Kendal. I thought I could see somethning interesting around if it stops raining for a while. No luck. It didn't stop. It just got worse in the Kirkstone Pass - rain, fog and wind ... and a long traffic queue behind a slow moving bus.

When I got back to Cheshire under the sunshine I thought - Nobody would believe me what rain is pouring there up nroth.

That't how my first attempt to go to Scotland ended.

At least it was good test for the bike. No complints from the bike except maybe the seat is not designed for long riding but it's still OK.

p.s. didn't try the hot Cheeky Vimtos...maybe next time

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online