My Bobber project

Noise
This post is 3580 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Now it's been quite a few years since I did any work on a hardley,if memory serves me the fuel tap thread on to a bung welded into the tank and the tap has a conical seat when the nut is tightend up it makes a compression seal no gasket required.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yes my tap has a nut on it that i can tighten up to the bottom of the tank which more or less 'locks' it in place so i take from that and your answer then it dosen't need a gasket, (cool) i did find a 1/4" gasket from a company that im guessing would fit but it was 39p plus £5.50 P&P!!!! get fucked, aint paying that much P&P for a small O ring that cost less than a Freddo bar!

I'll fit the tap this week end and chuck some petrol in her and find out if she's ok if not looks like i will be forking out £6 for a gasket. :madflame:

Front tyre being fitted tomorrow got a nice Avon cobra to go on, bit strange really tho betty is a 2000 reg and the tyre I removed was a 100/90-19 venom, yet the Avon book said that 1994-2004 custom should have a 110/90-19to fit a 2.50 rim. So we done some digging and found that the 1994-2000 drag stars should have a 2.50 front rim and a 4.50 rear rim meaning that they should have the 110/90-19 tyre and the 2004 on wards bikes should have a 2.50 front and a 3.50 rear which should have 100/90-19 and is what I've got??? Very strange

Yey!! got the front tyre on now and i slapped on the rear tyre temporally and lowered her to the floor just to see what she looked like again on her two wheels, and MY GOD! i forgot just how low she is. Pure man happy feeling moment. now i really cant wait to get her on the road!

Just waiting on my new glass fuel filter and exhaust wrap to be delivered tomorrow, put oil in the shaft drive, bleed front brake, buy number plate bracket and indicators then we are ready to go. :hyper::drive:

Well last night before me and the wife went out to a party and she was up stairs getting ready I snuck out side and pulled her out the shed and turned her around so I can now get better access to finish off the rest of the bits and gave the shed a good mucking out with the yard brush.

DSC_0577_zpsplojcvuc.jpg

DSC_0578_zpsp7v3iihh.jpg

Still got a bit more wiring to do then it's all just little stuff to do like bleeding the brake, put oil in the shaft drive, exhaust wrap, fit rear mud guard, number plate bracket, rear light, indicators and that's about it I think.

Looking good mate, although I would have the bars following the lines of the forks (but then my taste is in my arse, as t'wife says))

Yer I know what your saying but when I had them in line with the forks it really didn't feel right when I was sat on it, also this way they look like horns ha ha.

Well last night before me and the wife went out to a party and she was up stairs getting ready I snuck out side and pulled her out the shed and turned her around so I can now get better access to finish off the rest of the bits and gave the shed a good mucking out with the yard brush.

So you had a while then eh? lol :D I know how that goes...

Bike is looking real nice!

Yer i had loads of time, i cant see how it takes woman the same amount of time to get washed dressed and tarted up as it does to fit a rear wheel, pump up the rear wheel with foot pump to 45PSI, bolt the rear wheel to the frame, find the trolly jack, lift the bike up, remove the axle stands, lower the bike, remove bike from shed, turn the bike around, have a smoke, sweep out shed, move tool chest, sweep some more crap out, replace bike in new possision, sit and have another two smokes and then go have a shit shower and shave. :crazy:

Stupid women.

Only a small bit done tonight as after a 11hr stint at work I couldn't be fooked to do much. Will finish off the wiring tomorrow I think if not I'll be fixing the washing machine.

DSC_0588_zpss2ppxdv9.jpg

DSC_0591_zps1w8l8cg4.jpg

Ha ha yer I know mate still got last week's on at the mo, trick is to catch them in the morning as they crawl down the stairs.

Started bleeding the front brake tonight but I think I'm missing a trick or some thing. I drained the whole system even the caliper, so put fresh dot4 in the master cylinder and pumped it till no bubbles came up from the bottom but after 20 mins of pumping I'm still not getting any oil out of the bleed nipple?? Do I just keep going or am I missing some thing?

Have the bleed nipple loose but still closed, slowly pull in the brake lever and hold, then with your other hand open the bleed nipple to let out the air/fluid, then release the brake lever, close the nipple and repeat.

The hydraulic fluid is reasonably thick for the pipes so it needs pressure to get it moving, I would say if your just pumping the lever with the nipple open you have not got enough pressure to push against the air in the pipes and move the fluid down.

Should i have the Master cylinder cover on at this stage till the fluid starts to come out? Dumb ass question but im about as smart as cledus from the simpsons at the moment

Dosent matter but on is better less chance of it spilling out,Brake fluid is great paint stripper so if you spill any be sure to wash it off

Yer already knew it was a great paint stripper (not saying how i found that out :eusa_whistle: ) lets just say he who laughs last, laughs the longest.

Cool well i'll get back out there tonight and crack on with it, as long as i've got the DAB on i'll be fine

Finally got the front brake sorted last night and now its working like a dream, not sure stoppies are on the cards tho with her fat ass.

Gunna finish off some little bits and bobs this week end and might even fire her up later today to get some warm oil pumping round her as i've only been turning her over by hand for the past few months so that she doesn't freeze up.

Theres so little left to do now, its all getting very exciting :hyper: