Removing grips

Canny lad
This post is 4723 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I need to change the bars on the RXS and just wondered how you get the clutch side grip off without knacking it up...any ideas lads?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

a compressed air line on the other side with a bung will blow it off I believe...though I have never done it.

a feeler gauge with some fairy liquid on it, slide it between the grip and bars at various points, then twist the grip back and forth; it will come loose, dont try to pull it off but push it off from the grip flange. Give the grip a good wash to remove the soap when it's off

That one I have done ;)

you could always wait until it rains hard!

Have you ever noticed they always start to move about during a downpour!..well mine do! :D

hhmmm will put the bar end in hot water and see if ti swell the rubber enough to pull it off lol... i dont have an airline so will try the water thing first :D

i am not posh OG and dont possess any feeler gauges either lol

well lads it was a doddle... went out to put the sheet on the bikes and as usual ended up with the tools out, in the rain and dark to swap the bars over. :lol:

i put the bar end with grip on it into hot water and with much heaving and many expletives it came off :lol:

SHame the bars i put on are bloody awful apehanger types so will change em first chance i get B)

I need to change the bars on the RXS and just wondered how you get the clutch side grip off without knacking it up...any ideas lads?

get a healthy super dream ... attach a rope to the grip at one end & the super dream grab rail at the other. Rev the nuts out of the dream drop the clutch and the grip will stay intact ... as the dream will stall :rolleyes: but why not remove the l/h switch gear lift the edge of the grip with a small screwdriver spray wd40 underneath it and it will drop off the bars

its done Jim lol... as in my previous post :P

alot easier than i thought it would be and nothing to clean afterwards as there would have been if using washing up liquid or WD :D

Tip for ya !

When puttin on the new grips, clean and spray the bars with womens hair spray,,,,,,,,,,yes thats what i said hair spray.

dony let your other half catch ya though ;)

This will firstly help the new grips slide on and then when left for a while it gets really sticky and the grips wont be moveing afterwards.

Again hot water takes them off fairly handy in the future.

its done Jim lol... as in my previous post :P

alot easier than i thought it would be and nothing to clean afterwards as there would have been if using washing up liquid or WD :D

ah but you have got me on the super dream .. so all power tools you need will be powered by a poo Honda & dependant of the job in hand the old 99'er dream may fail ... you have to remember those 3 valve heads and optimistic speedo's made the 250 market and to be fair the dream speedo may be slightly more optimistic than most

yes that is true Jim it was just a speedo reading of 99 so may well have been 95 or even 90 for all i know lol... i dont have a superdream now but i loved my old one for its road presence... used to lean that over at ridiculous angles with a set of Avon Roadrunners on it... oh happy days B)

Tip for ya !

When puttin on the new grips, clean and spray the bars with womens hair spray,,,,,,,,,,yes thats what i said hair spray.

This will firstly help the new grips slide on and then when left for a while it gets really sticky and the grips wont be moveing afterwards.

i dont have the hasssle of a ball and chain mate lol... so no hairspray in ere but can see what you mean and could be useful in future :)

yes that is true Jim it was just a speedo reading of 99 so may well have been 95 or even 90 for all i know lol... i dont have a superdream now but i loved my old one for its road presence... used to lean that over at ridiculous angles with a set of Avon Roadrunners on it... oh happy days B)

Could just get 100 on my old kh250 by the end of blue line, and hoped the brakes worked by the upcoming island, if not it were straight up Kennilworth ave, but like you say that were clockspeed, gps would've more than likely been about 95 I reckon, in a 40 zone too lol, well it was 1979 pre cameras.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Manor+Rd/A5111&daddr=Warwick+Ave/A5111&geocode=FeNPJwMd-Rfp_w%3BFcM3JwMdxD7p_w&abauth=7a0b2eb1:Gz2nEDJBgX6YlRURix36Ky4QizE&hl=en&mra=ls&vps=14&jsv=341a&sll=52.901968,-1.49155&sspn=0.002022,0.005391&num=10

in't streetview good ey?

Tip for ya !

Well, a golfer would tell you to use strong double sided tape and petrol just like they do for golf clubs. It lasts for years and the petrol lubricates well and evaporates over a couple of hours. Only drawback is that you have to cut them off with a Stanley knife, but if youre changing them, why not?

Anyway, i see you've done it now anyway. gotta do mine soon :angry:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online