Foamy's New Toy, XJ650 Turbo :)

wild foamy
This post is 1244 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

well peeps all the parts are pretty much here, got a few bits and pieces stripped off but not got particularly far with it because most of the fasteners in the fairings are ceised, but hopefully in a couple of weeks it should be ready for powdercoating, im trying to find some cheaper places to take it as triple S is a bit far to go

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Another day another slight step closer to finishing this, removed the coils, switchgear and various other bits and pieces including the surge tank which appears to be filling with congeled oil/petrol and contains a small mesh filter (needless to say, caked in crap), trying to figure out an effective way to clean the surge tank and replace the filter mesh as during its removal i managed to pierce a small slit into it (stop giggling at the back)

also managed to drop it on myself whilst moving it from the storage shed to the workshop... f*ck me that thing is heavy even with most of it stripped off, nothing was damaged but im walking with a limp now... i can tell this is going to be an emotional restoration...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Work hasnt progressed very far at all, had a couple of evenings spent on it since the last update, have since got the carbs off and stripped/taged/bagged most of the other parts such as footrests, levers, cables e.t.c, still need to get the rest of the front fairings off but due to having no powerdrill and a real lack of funds i have no means for removing the stripped screws.

had a quick look at the turbo and it seems in very good condition, quite a lot of oil in it but that may well have been what saved it from corroding as the vanes and bearings seem to be in very good condition considering.

a few pics attached, didnt really take many photos this time, more updates to come

IMG00087-20110719-1943.jpg

IMG00086-20110719-1943.jpg

Work hasnt progressed very far at all, and a real lack of funds .

So the mini was free then Steve?

Bummer man, I've got a bunch of 'winter' upgrades I want to do but for the same reason they may not happen until the spring! Good luck with it all. Wish I had the gut's to get stuck into something that is so invloved. Yer an inspuraishun!

• 2 weeks later...

Well peeps this weekend was spent mostly working on the XJ, often heading down the shed at midday and not leaving until 1 the next morning, but it paid off and this is the current state of play with the 650

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMzktMjAxMTA5MTAtMTQyOC5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMzgtMjAxMTA5MTAtMTQyNy5qcGc.jpg

only a few minor problems...

exhaust (or whats left of it) is ceised on, the nuts that hold each branch of the manifold onto the collector/turbo inlet are rounded off so now i need to buy myself a disk cutter... on the bright side, i did manage to drill out the rounded fasteners holding the remainder of the fairings on, also in the absence of lifting equipment removal of the engine is going to be a pain to remove as im only a wickle bloke and its a big lump.

other than that, the bolts that hold the turbo on are ceised on solid and i managed to round one off, and because they are in such an awkward place i cant get at them with an angle grinder, need something like a dremel with a tiny cutting disk on it

Another point to make, after a lengthy chat with one of the bike club seniors i am starting to look for alternatives to powdercoating as ive been told when the powdercoating becomes damaged it leads to eggshelling and ingress of water under the powdercoated layer, has anybody ever tried any other alternatives and how did it work out?

Well ive decided to spray the frame in gloss black enamel, as per the original spec, have managed to get my hands on a dremel so hopefully will get the turbo off and the engine out next week along with the exhaust (or whats left of it atleast...)

started spraying a few bits and pieces aswell, the rear frame that holds the tail light assembly, the calipers, the airbox, sidestand and a few other odds and sods.

stay tuned for more info...

This friggin turbo is doing my head in!, i was down there all night with a dremel and a f*cking big bar trying to free it but to no avail, and whats more my dremel has broke, but i did spray up a few parts, one of the brake calipers, headlight surround, footpegs and a few other bits and the airbox/inlet, got a few pics which i will upload at some point, need to buy myself a f*cking great big hammer and chisel to get this turbo bolt off...

Have managed to find an aftermarket exhaust system for it, aswell as one for the 600, doesnt exactly look original though...

have continued work on the turbo project, with creative use of a hammer and chisel the turbos mounting nuts have been removed, as have the turbo manifold nuts but im having a lot of trouble seperating the turbo from the exhaust manifold, it just doesnt want to seperate, and i cant remove the downpipes and turbo all as one unit because the exhaust clamps are ciesed onto the studs solid.

im planning to use an aftermarket exhaust system when i rebuild this bik but im still reluctant to cut the old exhaust to bits

• 3 weeks later...

Cheeky bugger, the first 5 pics were after id washed it! ohmy.gif

anyone know if i could get a new key through yamaha?, ive got the frame/engine numbers and everything, oil filter is on order, brake rebuild kits are on order for the calipers, got some HT cable but need to find a plug cap as one of them was missing sad.gif

Merv: the "coburn & hughes" has now been covered with a sticker saying "My other toy has tits"

Hi foamy, it will be cheaper to buy a used ingnition switch and key from a bike breaker, there are plenty about, or try ebay. go to Yamaha, and they will kick you in the wallet """HARD""". Plenty of plug caps on ebay. And I would strongly recommend you strip that engine, you must get all the water out, because it will emulsify the oil, and then, bye bye bearings. :eusa_doh:

Some of the old bikes actually have numbers stamped on the lock would you believe, should be able to get keys for these no probs me thinks

Yeah my GPZ has a number behind the helmet lock that you can use to get a key cut

Cheers for the advice lads but i now have a key that fits the ignition, and...

i FINALLY got the turbo off!!, and f*ckin hell did it ever put up a fit, ended up splitting the mounting nuts with a chisel and prising the manifold off with the a chisel aswell

IMG00167-20111021-2313.jpg

came down the workshop after work yesterday about 6pm and didnt leave until 1am this morning, and today i plan to do the same, i got my laptop and speakers so will get a few tunes going, jobs a good'un (Y) :)

Just found something nesting behind the clocks... what the friggin hell is this? obviously something was living here at one point but havent seen anything crawl in or out of it...

IMG00174-20111022-1815.jpg

IMG00173-20111022-1815.jpg

and this is how the bike looks right now, need to get these downpipes off, then engine out and the frame can go off for painting, but the clamps that bolt onto the head and hold the downpipes on are ceised, seeing as im probably going to end up replacing it with a full PREDATOR EXHAUST SYSTEM, it may be easier to cut the downpipes off and then remove them with the engine out, idealy i need this thing on its wheels for february, im due to move base soon...

IMG00175-20111022-1850.jpg

Any input appreciated peeps, love to ya all - Foameh x

as mentioned at the start of this thread, it was in a garden (no tarp or cover) for 12 years until the guy who owned it died and his widow ebayed it, and after staggering home from the pub filled with alcohol i put a bid in on it and won (note to self, ebay and alcohol dont mix...)

i hope theres no aliens living behind my clocks... they could be hiding anywhere in here... what if theres one behind me... oh shit...

More turbo pics:

The exhaust coupling from the wastegate has snapped/rusted away to nothing, gonna need some creative thinking to find away around that...

wastegateexhaustside.jpg

DSCF1309.jpg

DSCF1310.jpg

TC03rh.jpg

next task is to get the exhaust off, i REALLY dont want to have to cut the downpipes off but that may well be what it comes to