Foamy's New Toy, XJ650 Turbo :)

wild foamy
This post is 1241 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well what can i say, what started as a post-pub ebay "browse" ended up with me and my dad picking up the XJ650 Turbo from hemel Hempstead this morning

story goes it belonged to an emergency response rider who had a heart attack 12 years ago and laid the bike up under a tarp in his garden, sadly he passed away on boxing day and the bike was listed on ebay by his widow, (where after several pints of bitter, i purchased it), so on the back of the sportage it went and after an hour and half (and a burger king) we arrived in hungerford where it was washed off and all the rotten bits assesed.

It has 19k on the clock (believed to be original) and a Givi top box mount, so far the parts i have identified as needing work are:

Brakes are ceised and need rebuilding

Keys we were given dont fit

Seat is rotten, the bottom has rusted away to nothing

Right hand silencer has rusted through and is now in two pieces

Battery obviously needs replacing (have a spare i bought for the XJ600 which will probably work)

front tyre needs replacing as sidewall is cracked

Oil needs changing, it is mostly water

Left hand footpeg is missing

Carbs need stripping down and cleaning as throttle is very stiff

Most metallic parts need respraying/powder coating.

but for £230 i didnt eexpect anything mint, should give me something to do during the winter months, will be updating this thread (sticky pwease?...) but not for a while as i am out of the country with work until the end of June

Pics:

DSCF1194.jpg

DSCF1193.jpg

DSCF1192.jpg

DSCF1191.jpg

DSCF1190.jpg

DSCF1189.jpg

DSCF1188.jpg

DSCF1187.jpg

DSCF1186.jpg

DSCF1185.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well done Foamy. I was scared just looking at the pictures. It should look nice once it is washed ;)

It could be a good project but don't scrimp on the important bit as if something major goes you will sticking back on evilbay in double quick time. A great classic and the number plate with "Coburn & Hughes" on it brought back a few memories from way back before you were born.

Get lots of Plusgas, and then get lots more....................... good luck.

It should look nice once it is washed ;)

Cheeky bugger, the first 5 pics were after id washed it! :o

anyone know if i could get a new key through yamaha?, ive got the frame/engine numbers and everything, oil filter is on order, brake rebuild kits are on order for the calipers, got some HT cable but need to find a plug cap as one of them was missing :(

Merv: the "coburn & hughes" has now been covered with a sticker saying "My other toy has tits"

Wemoto seem to have some bits for the Turbo.

I doubt that you would be able to get a key cut without a key number from Yamaha due to the bikes age. If you cant get a new barrel cheap, I would get a key that fits and then take apart the barrel and remove some pins until it turned. this will then "fix" this until you get one that works properly. There is a blank key thread HERE

That looks like a 'result' Foamster :thumb:

well done m8, and its 'pinned'-another Y-O-C Epic me thinks :lol:

probably better hunting for another turbo unit (or a re-con if available), the bearings on that one are more than likely shagged, all in you cant go wrong at that price ;)

well ive taken some fairings off, removed that battery (needless to say, sulphated to f*ck, theres rust on the bottom of the tank which has turned sticky, i suspect its leaking :unsure:

just drained the oil and its black in colour, not sure why its just the sight glass which has turned milky, i have the frame and engine numbers so would yamaha be able to make me a key from that info? failing that tomorrow i will unplug the ignition switch, put fresh oil in it and fire the bastard up... then avoid the various bits and pieces being thrown by the neighbours (silencer is rotten, remember...)

Whoa Horsey !

have you tried rotating it by using a 'crack bar' on the sprocket nut ? you need to take this nice an easy-those bores and pistons have sat around a bit :o

Whoa Horsey !

have you tried rotating it by using a 'crack bar' on the sprocket nut ? you need to take this nice an easy-those bores and pistons have sat around a bit :o

Very good advice. You don't want a turbo vane flying out at 100k revs, do you?

i dropped some oil down the plug 'oles and rocked it backward and forward to turn it over and get nice and lubed up.

now, these keys...

ignition barrell is out... where do i go from here? have stripped it right down to the bare barrel but i cant seem to get it out of the plastic housing?

DSCF1199.jpg

As soon as i can get it to a point where i can apply power to it i can check everything works and see what else needs doing, i can also get the seat off and start stripping it down so it would be nice to get the keys before i go away so im not waiting for them when i get back

That picture is hurting my eyes. There is normally a tab on the plastic surround that clicks into the outer metal of the barrel. The whole lot should slide out somehow.

BTW there are a lot of bits for sale on US evilbay. If you screw the turbo there is one here for sale LINKY

sorry bout that my camera didnt focus well on the closeup, doesnt seem to be any plastic tabs so to speak its just the barrel and the piston, is it likely i need to punch it out using a drift or something?

sorry bout that my camera didnt focus well on the closeup, doesnt seem to be any plastic tabs so to speak its just the barrel and the piston, is it likely i need to punch it out using a drift or something?

Possibly. It depends if you want to use it later to save cash or just a make do. Some have small drift pins in them which need pushing out but the metal barrel will seperate from the plastic surround somehow. A locksmith may be able to knock up a key by taking the barrel to them. You need to sit and think, do you want to buy a new one in the future - if so you can damage this one. Or do you want to try and get a key to fit this one - if so try a locksmith if you are not sure, first.

It is difficult to tell over the interweb.

There is a complete lockset on German evilbay LINKY

im keeping this bike as original as possible, hence i will be using the whole original lockset if possible, will take it down to my local locky in the morning and see if they can knock up a key, but then theres no guarantees it will fit all the other locks

im keeping this bike as original as possible, hence i will be using the whole original lockset if possible, will take it down to my local locky in the morning and see if they can knock up a key, but then theres no guarantees it will fit all the other locks

A good plan Foamy. All parts seem to be expensive so gently does it.

cant get the lock out OG, need to know how to get the barrel out of the plastic housing, will call yamaha in the morning and see what they can do for me failing that im taking the ignition assembly down the lockys

cant get the lock out OG, need to know how to get the barrel out of the plastic housing, will call yamaha in the morning and see what they can do for me failing that im taking the ignition assembly down the lockys

What I am saying is...if you can see the number you dont need to get the lock out, just get a key with that number?