XJ6 Rear Tyre replacement

David Baker
This post is 4789 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

want other people's opinions on replacing the back tyre. I've just had my 6000 mile service and my back tyre needs replaced. I'm currently running on Dunlop/Roadsmart 160/60-ZR17 (69W) on the rear and they want 130 for the tyre and 29.95 for fitting. What is other peoples opinions on this? Am I getting the piss taken out of me or should I replace with a different tyre?

Blah, the opinions, thanks for your inputs in advance

I also had a wee look at the Michelin Pilot Power. Anyone had any experience?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

This is what I have on mine David

http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk/productinfo.aspx?catref=566310&tier1url=Tyres&tier2url=Road-tyres&tier3url=Bridgestone

-have a go at fitting them yourself, plenty of 'you-ya-tube' vids on 'how to' :)

cheeky sods,most tyre places down here price of tyre includes fitting just had bridgestone b-23 tyres fitted front and rear £258 the price bridgestone quote no charge for fitting but one garage wanted £20 per tyre extra for fitting you can guess my reply. :P

I told him i'll think about it. Just back, I dont even want to post how much it cost me. Is it usual to replace the oil and filter for the 6000? Also i was running around with a cracked front brake disc, he said it cracked when he took it out the brake calliper. Hmmm, I dont like this yamaha garage too much. Also now my heated grips aren't working, he says he replaced blah blah blah and its still not working so its a warranty claim but he says am gonna have to pay for labor to replace them.

What sort of grip quality you get from them? I'm not looking to get down on one knee.... yet maybe but what about in the wet and crap?

I have Bridgestone Bt45's on the old Diversion and BT 021's on the XJ6, not had any issues in the wet and they wear well too they are a 'sport touring rated tyre' and last, yep service her at 6000-another DIY job unless you want to sell it and have a wee book of ink stamps to pass on to the new owner B)

I have Bridgestone Bt45's on the old Diversion and BT 021's on the XJ6, not had any issues in the wet and they wear well too they are a 'sport touring rated tyre' and last, yep service her at 6000-another DIY job unless you want to sell it and have a wee book of ink stamps to pass on to the new owner B)

i found the bt 021 on my XJ6 rubbish, in the wet it was possible to hang the rear out with a touch off lean and in the dry it was a real bugger to get fully warmed up.

If i still had mine i think i'd run diablo corsa. i was on my third rear when it got wrote-off, a maxxis which was ok grip-wise, but wearing quite quickly.

btw barky, you are right do the tyres yourself if poss, you can then buy the tyre from a net/phone discounter and literally half the cost.

Yebbut, its a good all round tyre (did ye see what I did there ) ;)

what about balancing the rear tyre? is it quite difficult or should i not worry about it? I did look about and found the tyre's cheeper and also found a garage that will fit the rear tyre for 14 quid.

what about balancing the rear tyre? is it quite difficult or should i not worry about it? I did look about and found the tyre's cheeper and also found a garage that will fit the rear tyre for 14 quid.

no need ta balance rear tyre

might i ask why?

Well its a matter of choice really,,,,,,,,some peps do some dont,,,,,,,, i dont boather.

Back wheel only goes in a straight line all the time, its not going to give you bad vibs or affect the handeling.

On your new tyre there will / or there should be a yellow or red spot stamped on it. This is allready a balance mark to allow for the extra weight of the valve. The coloured dot should go opposite the valve when the new tyre is being put on.

If the lad fitting the tyre for you is offering to ballance the rear tyre then by all means let him do it, but its not essential.

Mabey the other lads on here might stand me corrected !

Well its a matter of choice really,,,,,,,,some peps do some dont,,,,,,,, i dont boather.

Back wheel only goes in a straight line all the time, its not going to give you bad vibs or affect the handeling.

On your new tyre there will / or there should be a yellow or red spot stamped on it. This is allready a balance mark to allow for the extra weight of the valve. The coloured dot should go opposite the valve when the new tyre is being put on.

If the lad fitting the tyre for you is offering to ballance the rear tyre then by all means let him do it, but its not essential.

Mabey the other lads on here might stand me corrected !

*Cough* - The dot is acksherly the light bit of the tyre and should go next to the valve.

Agree about not bothering with balancing the rear tyre, what with chains(shaft?), brakes and the like all whirling round, a few grammes of rubber here or there ain't gonna make much difference. Front tyre, maybe, but even then we're not talking a huge amount.

Easy enough to do at home - just hang the wheel from the spindle so that it can rotate freely. Spin it and mark the lowest point with some chalk once it stops. Repeat a few times and look at the distribution of marks - if they're close together there's a heavy spot down there, if they're all over the place then the wheel's pretty much balanced. Add some weight to the opposite point of the marks and start the spin/mark/spin business again. Repeat until there's no obvious heavy point - you soon get the knack, or give up in disgust.

A good source of weights is to get the wife/girlfriend/cute sister to go bat their eyelashes at the boys from Kwik-Fit ... not that I'd condone any such sexist actions, y'understand, just sayin' ..... Solder is also good on spoked wheels - wrapped around the end of the spoke with a light touch from the soldering iron to secure it.

You're welcome.

'cough'

and put the tyre on using the 'direction of rotation arrow', yes you can easily get this wrong-just ask Wild Foamy :P

'cough'

and put the tyre on using the 'direction of rotation arrow', yes you can easily get this wrong-just ask Wild Foamy :P

Surely no-one's that stup .... Wild Foamy you say? Riiiiight!

Dunlop/Roadsmart 160/60-ZR17 (69W)

Aye davie " that Roadsmart , is a duel compound tyre, ie soft on ouside and hard in centre, grips on corners & long wearing on the striaght s, Was that 6000 mls on the last one ? :blink:

If it was , you"l only get 3000 mls on De-ablo" and the like ,

Aye davie " that Roadsmart , is a duel compound tyre, ie soft on ouside and hard in centre, grips on corners & long wearing on the striaght s, Was that 6000 mls on the last one ? :blink:

If it was , you"l only get 3000 mls on De-ablo" and the like ,

Sorry i was away up north this weekend. Am looking for something that will do 6000 miles or more and still allow me to be confident in the corners.