It must be nice to be able to work on your bike...

johnsnownw
This post is 4855 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

in the winter. I don't have a heated garage and it was -8F here last night. That would be -22C to most of you. It doesn't get that much warmer during the day here either. Such lovely weather here in Minnesota.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

What in the world is a Garage? Don't you have a dinning room?

i prefer kitchens personally, as your closer to the kettle. ;)

What in the world is a Garage? Don't you have a dinning room?

Oh, the wife would never let that happen. Especially with the wood floors, and my balls in her pocket :(

Do it anyway.

That way, she didn't "let it happen" as such... it 'just happened' :D

Alternatively, suck it up and be a man. I have to do all my work out on the street too, but it's better than being without the bike!!

Do you drive as well, or is this your only form of transport?

If the latter, use that as the excuse - Either you fix it inside, or SHE can run all the errands, do the shopping etc...

Unheated garages can be heated by means of one of these.......or similar

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-1500W-PORTABLE-ELECTRIC-INFRARED-SPACE-HEATER-PTC-/160534347417?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256097be99

If you want to do something badly enough, there are always ways and means dear boy, I think this rather smacks of someone who would rather stay in the warm watching the television?! :lol::lol::lol:

I have no Idea how big your garage is but I would invest in one of those Space heaters. If your garage is absolutely huge

(at least 5 cars..) Then get a Propane Gas space heater. these things don't cost much and they work perfectly!

I don't know if you have a Garage at all but if not http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Metal-Garden-Shed-10x13-10ft-x-13ft-10-x-13-/150549079280?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Garden_Structures_Fencing_CV&hash=item230d6ca4f0#ht_483wt_1022 These things are great and really easy to heat with room to put up work benches and tool cabinets!

Good luck in getting warm :)

Liam

Get one of those red & white stripey tents that the BT guys use when working on the street!!

I'm thinking of something like that myself, unless we manage to land a house with a garage....

Well, I say garage, but it's an unattached building. I suppose you could call it a shed. Also, if I had the money to spend on a heater, I would purchase the parts I want and work on the bike naked, in a big pile of snow.

There is no way you can ride a bike in Minnesota in the winter, there is snow and ice on the roads as we speak, and it's been there for a month. We've received to date 56 inches of snow, and there is still 14 inches on the ground. So, even though it is MY only form of transport, I don't have a leg to stand on.

With respect........it sounds a perfectly terible place to live. What you really need is a garage, heated or not, attached to a house in California, or Cornwall.

It's alright living here for 8 months out of the year, the winter is terrible though. Here's a pic looking out my back door. You can see the shed and a whole bunch of snow.

p1000107bi.jpg

Johnsnownw,,,,,,,what you need is internal HEAT,,,,, get a good bottle of Whiskey,,,,,,down the half of it,,,,,,,you will feel no cold

only down side is,,,,,,,,,well you know yourself. B)

Whats wrong with that shed ? ,,,,,,,tis a fine looking shed ! You could work away in that no boather.

Johnsnownw,,,,,,,what you need is internal HEAT,,,,, get a good bottle of Whiskey,,,,,,down the half of it,,,,,,,you will feel no cold

only down side is,,,,,,,,,well you know yourself. B)

Whats wrong with that shed ? ,,,,,,,tis a fine looking shed ! You could work away in that no boather.

I do have a fine bottle of scotch whiskey in the cubbard...

The outside of the shed is deceiving, it's quite basic on the inside, and only half of it is mine, the other half belongs to the landlord. It's not a bad shed, but even if I had a heater in there I don't know how it could overcome the drafts.

I do have a fine bottle of scotch whiskey in the cubbard...

The outside of the shed is deceiving, it's quite basic on the inside, and only half of it is mine, the other half belongs to the landlord. It's not a bad shed, but even if I had a heater in there I don't know how it could overcome the drafts.

I see what you mean,,,,,,,,sharing a shed is NO good at all,,,,,,,your bike bits and pieces would get lost by others messing arround........

There's no qure to your probs,,,,,,,,you might as well tare into the whiskey and think what if thaughts :lol:

hey that looks just lovely to me.

-22c just a cool spell eh. i thought you get -30 or lower at times there.

on a brighter note. ( simple shed workspace heater. get some heavy clear plastic. make a throw away frame from junk timber old bed frames etc. p.s. make the frame large enough for bike you and tools. cover it in the plastic.then get 2 cheap halogen worklights not a twin. the lights put out as much as an old 2 bar electric heater while lighting up your work area. it wont be like summer in there but will get it above freezing at least.) once your done roll up the plastic for next winter and throw away the disposable frame. then come summer you can go ride the first crisp clear ice free day.

cheers ian

hey that looks just lovely to me.

-22c just a cool spell eh. i thought you get -30 or lower at times there.

on a brighter note. ( simple shed workspace heater. get some heavy clear plastic. make a throw away frame from junk timber old bed frames etc. p.s. make the frame large enough for bike you and tools. cover it in the plastic.then get 2 cheap halogen worklights not a twin. the lights put out as much as an old 2 bar electric heater while lighting up your work area. it wont be like summer in there but will get it above freezing at least.) once your done roll up the plastic for next winter and throw away the disposable frame. then come summer you can go ride the first crisp clear ice free day.

cheers ian

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately the fact still remains that I am lacking in the disposable income department. However, when I do get some cash this may be a good temporary solution.

having 2 restoration projects on the go im well aware of just how disposable a disposal income is. best of luck with some coin. until then dream big dreams for your future dream ride.

cheers.

Hey John

I know exactly what problems you face in the winter. I built a 30'x40' shop in the summer of 2009 so I had a proper place to store my toys. In the winter it gets as cold or colder here asin Minnesota and we get a lot of snow. We just got through a 2 week spell with the temperature ranging between -27C and -20C. It's warmed up now to 0C. For the last week I have needed to change the water pump on my tractor and to drain the hydraulic fluid in the transmission as there is water in it but it has been too cold.I use a variation of DOA's method..back the bike or in this case the tractor into a corner and use a 1500w forced air heater. You can get a used one fairly cheap or....as you are a fellow rider, I'll trade you a couple of used heaters for you Xmas present and a box of shells. :P

Here's a picture of my shop (hopefully the picture will be a managable size):

IMG_0598.jpg

Rocky

Hey John

I know exactly what problems you face in the winter. I built a 30'x40' shop in the summer of 2009 so I had a proper place to store my toys. In the winter it gets as cold or colder here asin Minnesota and we get a lot of snow. We just got through a 2 week spell with the temperature ranging between -27C and -20C. It's warmed up now to 0C. For the last week I have needed to change the water pump on my tractor and to drain the hydraulic fluid in the transmission as there is water in it but it has been too cold.I use a variation of DOA's method..back the bike or in this case the tractor into a corner and use a 1500w forced air heater. You can get a used one fairly cheap or....as you are a fellow rider, I'll trade you a couple of used heaters for you Xmas present and a box of shells. :P

Here's a picture of my shop (hopefully the picture will be a managable size):

IMG_0598.jpg

Rocky

That workshop looks really nice, I bet that put you back a few. Today it was -31C when I woke up, darn cold.

I thank you for the sweet trade deal, however, I think I'll hold onto the PX4 all the same ;)

It's alright living here for 8 months out of the year, the winter is terrible though. Here's a pic looking out my back door. You can see the shed and a whole bunch of snow.

p1000107bi.jpg

Nice shed. Is that a shopping trolley buried under the snow? S'pose it saves having to buy a freezer.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online