New helmet Required

muppet
This post is 4862 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ladies and gentlemen, I need some help on a new helmet please. Im looking at a arai tour x3 or shoei hornet - basically that type of helmet (dual sport) but

a: I cant really justify £280-350 for a helmet that will be used for less than 100 days a year but as they say what price do you put on your head?

b: its cheaper to buy online than a high street shop but the last time i brought a helmet i brought a helmet that cut the circulation to my head - i thought it would get better over time it didn't! How do i measure properly without buying a helmet to big or to small again or is it just better to go the shop?

c: best place to buy

d: what recommendations for a helmet.

Conditions for puchase are:

Bike used is a dt125r in red

age 30 ish

Live in north warwickshire/west midlands border but i drive for a living.

something stylish, sensible. I have looked at mx helmets (gold standard) but i might look a bit of a tit at my age with a full on mx helmet!

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

As you travel around if youspot a big bike shop stop and go in and see what they have too offer, sometimes htey have sales on that will bring the price of stuff into a more affordable range, orsearch the internet for a shop having a sale near you then you can go try the helmet on

Merv

Its definately better going to a shop and trying a lid on, different manufacturers will have slightly different sizes, the lid should be snug but not too tight, it shouldn't shove your cheeks into your eyes, spend 5 mins with it on in the shop, you will feel any pressure points, once your satisfied that its for you then go home with that 'models' size written down-browse t'internet if your looking for a bargain, if you find it cheaper on-line go back to the shop and ask them if they can match the price :)

arai are shit,check out the government findings.

buy a shark, tested by sharp.:)

I must admit arai arnt that special I always found it a pain to change the visor and it was noisy. I have just bought a Shoei XR1100 it's ten times better than the Arai, visor is easy to change and it;s far quieter than the Arai

If I was you I would seriously consider a Shoei

, visor is easy to change

While on this subject, can you buy visors for every make of helmet ? or do you just bin the helmet when visors are scratched, coz i"v looked on fleabay to no avail :huh: Lazer helmets that is ,,,,,,,,

Visors available from here Johnno

UK laser distributor

PUTOLINE DISTRIBUTION LTD

Blue Diamond House - Stirling Way

PE6 8AS Peterborough

Phone: +44/1778 349333

Fax: +44/1778 348080

Email: [email protected]; [email protected]

At the bottom of this page is a PDF file with all the 'stuff'

http://www.lazerhelmets.com/en/motorcycling/products/accessories.php

My Shark S900 is terrible. I now have had two and both of them fail to work correctly the first one the quick release was broken (fixed under warranty) the second one's sun visor decide's it doesn't want to come down. So that model seems a little shifty for me despite being voted one of the safest helmet's going. Despite this I would still buy shark but definitely not as an alternative to Shoei or Arai :)

Oh and another good make of helmet is Box they seem quite nice. Also I was told Bell make good helmets

Box they seem quite nice. Also I was told bellEnd is you helmet.

Box is comfy " and a good release fitting , £80 too" reasonable . your observation on bell is correcy criistian, :D

Thanks for link jammer ;)

helmet008.jpg

Thats a good price John where did ye pick that up m8 ?

I have one of those Airoh s4, different colour. Gets very noisy above 50, comfy and good vision for a motocross style. They work well in a crash too :unsure:

I've bought an LS2 for £89 while searching for a replacement Arai. Great fit, drop-down sun visor, anti fog insert, and quite light.

...and saved enough cash over an Arai for a new set of tyres!

LS2.jpg

where did ye pick that up m8 ?

Fleabay jammer," £80. october, as they will get dearer into springtime for shure,;)

good buy wolfie,, looks cool,

Don't get a Caberg,

Despite being very warm and comfy - they are fookin loud, and steam up really easily. It's always worth asking the assistant about what helmet they have personally - as they will have had the oppurtunity to test ride it, look through price, etc etc

Online is better, but try try try to get to a shop to try it on - always helps.

Chris

try them on in the shop,,

then buy online when you know what you want,

but don't buy an arai,cos their shit.

i nearly bought one,,the one with the england flag that looks like it's melting.

but when i saw the test results i thought feck that, and bought my shark.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online