Oh, what a shop front!!

steve_w
This post is 5008 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just thought I'd share my first real 'idiot moment' that I had today.

5pm, bikes warmed up ready to leave work and the workshop floor's wet as it's peeing down near Old Trafford.

Gets on the bike and about to leave. My right foot slipped enough on the wet floor to put me off balance and my rather weighty FZR (around 181kg I think) starts to go over. I fought hard to keep it up but it beat me in the end. To make matters worse, as it went down, I couldn't help but rev it so everyone was alerted to my antics in time to see me drop the bugger!

It's not too bad, corner of the screen is now missing (was gonna replace it at a later date anyway) right front flasher lens was ripped off (insulation tape has many uses!) and a scuff on the right side panel.....oh, and a rather dented ego. Need to whip the plugs out because I think I flooded it and it's now misfiring at low revs.

Anyone else brave enough to share anything similar or is it just me that's a complete donkey??

I am expecting someone at work to bring me some stabilizers tomorrow, be a while before I live it down

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Thanks for sharing that :lol:

Last time I did it was when the petrol was being blockaded at the refineries and petrol stations were rationing it...big queue's at the filling stations. Theres me in the queue at morrisons with my then NEW bandit ...engine off waiting my turn. So the queue starts to move and I decide to push the bike instead of the bother of starting it up, like you do.

Anyway I slipped too and the bandit...which is a hefty weight starts lo lean away from me, I hung on in vain, the bike went over and I went on top of it before gathering myself together and re-joining the queue in an orderly manner. I've never been so relieved to leave a petrol station in all my life :lol:

Thanks for sharing that :lol:

Last time I did it was when the petrol was being blockaded at the refineries and petrol stations were rationing it...big queue's at the filling stations. Theres me in the queue at morrisons with my then NEW bandit ...engine off waiting my turn. So the queue starts to move and I decide to push the bike instead of the bother of starting it up, like you do.

Anyway I slipped too and the bandit...which is a hefty weight starts lo lean away from me, I hung on in vain, the bike went over and I went on top of it before gathering myself together and re-joining the queue in an orderly manner. I've never been so relieved to leave a petrol station in all my life :lol:

and don't forget your flip flop escapade putting the bike on its mainstand!! :P

:lol::lol:

Closest i can think off, i had just finished rebuilding my DTR after it was off the road for 3 years, all new shiny plastics, stickers, powder coated frame etc. i was really pleased with myself. Wheeling it out of the back door for the first time i slipped and weight pulled me and the bike against a rough stone wall, scuffed the front mudguard, radiator scoop and rear panel without even getting 20ft. I can still hear the neighbors laughing at me. Picked it up and wheeled it back into the house as quick as i could :blush:.

:lol::lol:

Closest i can think off, i had just finished rebuilding my DTR after it was off the road for 3 years, all new shiny plastics, stickers, powder coated frame etc. i was really pleased with myself. Wheeling it out of the back door for the first time i slipped and weight pulled me and the bike against a rough stone wall, scuffed the front mudguard, radiator scoop and rear panel without even getting 20ft. I can still hear the neighbors laughing at me. Picked it up and wheeled it back into the house as quick as i could :blush:.

NOOOOO!

It's bad enough damaging your pride and joy, but it's the laughing that's the killer!

Had just ridden home from cornwall on my DTRE and got home about 11pm. Had been raining from around winchester all the way back into worthing. Wheeled the bike into the garage around my dads GT750, rather close to the wall. slipped on a mixture of oil on the floor that had been splilt previously and my wet boots, bike started to tip away from me, luckily it landed on the handle bar end on the wall.....unluckily i had been so intent on not letting go my weight pushed the bars sideways as i fell on the bike and the mudguard scuffed on the wall, broke an indicater and broke the headflight surround. Was so embaressed i covered it up and fixed it before anyone even found out.

Until my dad found the broken headlight surround. He laughed....

when i was eighteen and very skinny i had a honda cb900f . there was a small stretch of grass outside my mothers house you had to ride across to get to the road and one winters day my foot slipped on the mud and it went over.

if anyone has had a cb900f they will know that they are not a light machine and i had to leave it over on the mud until i could get enough people to help get it up , by this time the whole street had seen it very embarrassing

when i was eighteen and very skinny i had a honda cb900f . there was a small stretch of grass outside my mothers house you had to ride across to get to the road and one winters day my foot slipped on the mud and it went over.

if anyone has had a cb900f they will know that they are not a light machine and i had to leave it over on the mud until i could get enough people to help get it up , by this time the whole street had seen it very embarrassing

Eighteen an on a CB900, those were the days, can you imagine that nowadays?

Fond memories, I had a CB900 in 1982, a black one...my first new bike.

Eighteen an on a CB900, those were the days, can you imagine that nowadays?

Fond memories, I had a CB900 in 1982, a black one...my first new bike.

to be fair i had passed my 2 part test at 17 in 83. got the 900 in 84, could only touch the floor with tiptoes.

my memories of the bike were buckets of torque but heavy as a small car, well it felt that heavy at 18 and 9 stone

this didn't happen to me but i got involved, nine of us road up to the devils bridge on the A and B roads,then decided to go to rivington barn to finish off the day .on arrival at the barn,phil was in front of me on his new1300 bandit ,as we approuched the entrance to the car park we had to wait for some bikes leaving.thats when it happend,phil put his left foot down to steady his bike ,but there was a ditch along side of him,as his shoulder hit the ground i laughed so much it made me squirt,the others all rode into the car park oblivious of what had happend, so i had to lift the bandit off his trapped leg while eight onlookers watched.the embarassing part for me was my dad bringing my brother up to take my bike home cos i pulled my back lifting his bandit.fuck me they are heavy bastards them bandits.

this didn't happen to me but i got involved, nine of us road up to the devils bridge on the A and B roads,then decided to go to rivington barn to finish off the day .on arrival at the barn,phil was in front of me on his new1300 bandit ,as we approuched the entrance to the car park we had to wait for some bikes leaving.thats when it happend,phil put his left foot down to steady his bike ,but there was a ditch along side of him,as his shoulder hit the ground i laughed so much it made me squirt,the others all rode into the car park oblivious of what had happend, so i had to lift the bandit off his trapped leg while eight onlookers watched.the embarassing part for me was my dad bringing my brother up to take my bike home cos i pulled my back lifting his bandit.fuck me they are heavy bastards them bandits.

That's the problem I've got with this FZR 600, I reckon it's on a par with a mates XJR 1300 weight wise. Gonna have to hit the gym methinks! :P

You can renew your tags at a drive up window here at our DMV. I pulled up to the end of a 4 car line and put the kickstand down. Didn't notice the black top was broken up at that very spot. As I was digging out my papers, the kick stand twisted back up and the bike went down on it's left side on my leg. No great damage, just a couple of scratches, large bruise on leg and deflated ego. Worst part was that it happened right in front of the Motor Vehicle office and a guy on the sidewalk was taking it all in. If you haven't had something funny happen you are either VERY lucky, don't ride enough or lie a lot!! =:-)

iff it gets you when your off balance gym jim or jimmy aint gonna stop it.

:P:P

While we're talking about this, a little problem has arisen from yesterdays escapade. It's developed a misfire at low revs, seems fine under acceleration but round town is a bit annoying. Anyone got any idea what it could be?

could be some crap thats been sitting in the float bowls has blocked the idle jet on one carb. when it went over it may have stirred it up

could be some crap thats been sitting in the float bowls has blocked the idle jet on one carb. when it went over it may have stirred it up

Sounds good, thanks. Going to give em a good clean and check things like fuel filter etc, don't think it's anything major as it's fine from about 3k upwards.

Will post back any findings.

One thing I did notice was it's got CR9E plugs. I know the manual says it can use 8E or 9E but I'm wondering if 8E's are better suited to round town riding etc as I've read somewhere that the 9E's are a hotter plug(?) Of course what I've read maybe utter crap :blink:

Only asking as I've had a rough idle and it's a bit lumpy under 3k since I've started riding it in June.

Sounds good, thanks. Going to give em a good clean and check things like fuel filter etc, don't think it's anything major as it's fine from about 3k upwards.

Will post back any findings.

One thing I did notice was it's got CR9E plugs. I know the manual says it can use 8E or 9E but I'm wondering if 8E's are better suited to round town riding etc as I've read somewhere that the 9E's are a hotter plug(?) Of course what I've read maybe utter crap :blink:

Only asking as I've had a rough idle and it's a bit lumpy under 3k since I've started riding it in June.

i doubt the plugs would make much difference only at one particular rev range, but next time you change them go for the correct ones. i have been using ngk iridium plugs and found they dont seem to fowl up like regular ones and give you a smoother idle. if bought off ebay the are no dearer than shop bought regular ones.

my bike was suffering with poor power under 3000 revs, cleaned the idle jets and turned the mixture screws 1/4 in, leaning the mixture out and it runs great again.

but dont touch the mixture screws until you have eliminated dirty carbs

i doubt the plugs would make much difference only at one particular rev range, but next time you change them go for the correct ones. i have been using ngk iridium plugs and found they dont seem to fowl up like regular ones and give you a smoother idle. if bought off ebay the are no dearer than shop bought regular ones.

my bike was suffering with poor power under 3000 revs, cleaned the idle jets and turned the mixture screws 1/4 in, leaning the mixture out and it runs great again.

but dont touch the mixture screws until you have eliminated dirty carbs

Thanks. Been mooching around with it today. Found some interesting things.

The inlet rubbers are starting to perish, fuel filter has seen better days and judging by the way things like the coils, airbox and a few other things are fitted, I think Frank Spencer must've owned this bike at some point! Talk about bodge it and scarper!

I've not got the money for new rubbers, carb rebuild kit and some other bits I'd like to sort out yet so after a load of crappy fuel leaked out of the carbs when I turned em upside down I decided to put it back together for now and garage it til I've got the money in a few weeks.

Couldn't get the carbs to sit on the inlet rubbers because the coils were in the way so I performed a sports modification to the bracket to get everything to fit. Built it all back up and thought 'I'll just try it'

It actually runs a lot better than before I dropped it :rolleyes:

So, with Iridium plugs, carb inlet rubbers and repair kit and a fuel filter, it may well cure the problem completely, now for the overtime to pay for it!!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online