First full day out on bike after passing test!!!

Antz
This post is 5116 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

What a day guys!!!...well today was my first day out all day after passing my bike test tuesday :D ....so i done the shopping this morning done the daddy thing with my daughter pleased the missus ;) ...then i was all ready to go out at 10.00am on the dot!!!....so of i went to the petrol station to fill the little beauty up, and then it all went wrong!!!...i been waiting for today for 3 full days!!!, well i got to the garage where another biker had just filled up, got of the bike put it on it's side stand, walked to the pump and then :( ...yes the bloody thing fell straight on it's side and all you could hear was smash crack....i was sooooo gutted!!!...Lucky for me when i bought the bike a couple of weeks ago the bike came with crash bars on both sides so the only real damage was the left hand side mirror!!!...i felt like a right twat as the whole garage could see me picking the bike up...so i spent the next two hours riding around to find a replacment mirror and bracket..after all of this i finally got onto the a32 and just about every where else...and i have fallen head over heals with biking!!!!...I love it :D

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well done Antz. You couldn't have started at a better time of the year.

Just be aware that as we are in a bit of a dry spell of weather when it does rain the roads will be slippery.

Have fun

Well done Antz. You couldn't have started at a better time of the year.

Just be aware that as we are in a bit of a dry spell of weather when it does rain the roads will be slippery.

Have fun

Cheers mike!!..i no it's been lovely weather but like you said when it rains it's going to be dodgy!!!...i have not riden this bike in the wet at all yet :unsure:

and whatch those bleedin' pot holes from winter!!

glad your out and enjoying it! nothing comes close to the feeling!

Glad you enjoyed it Antz" great to feel free isnt it, plenty of summer days ahead, take care tho, them cage drivers dont do mirrors, Last week we were following a car[b class road], it stopped dead in front of us then on came revercing light.mad.gif , we let him kno with horns and gestulates, And thers been two fatallitys here this week, both involving cars at juntions, So be-aware , slacken off for juntions.wink.gif

and whatch those bleedin' pot holes from winter!!

glad your out and enjoying it! nothing comes close to the feeling!

Yep i was caught out nearlly twice!!! :angry:

Glad you enjoyed it Antz" great to feel free isnt it, plenty of summer days ahead, take care tho, them cage drivers dont do mirrors, Last week we were following a car[b class road], it stopped dead in front of us then on came revercing light.mad.gif , we let him kno with horns and gestulates, And thers been two fatallitys here this week, both involving cars at juntions, So be-aware , slacken off for juntions.wink.gif

Thanks for the advice....i no what you meen i was doing 60 behind a van that was following a car in a 60 limit on the A32 near alton and the tosser in the car in front of the van decided to turn left with no indication and i nearlly become that fuzzy little bear thats sticks to the rear window of cars :huh:

The 600 div is very stable in the wet I've found, mine has Bridgestone BT45s (the best tyre for it), keep it smooth-dont blip the throttle even on a straight and use the enging braking to decelerate, dominate your space on the road as you will have to corner slowish and ignore the pussy behind you :)

i nearlly become that fuzzy little bear thats sticks to the rear window of cars :huh:

Great description....

Remember the old 2 second rule, it'll save your bacon one day, but it only works between 30 (at which speed 2 seconds is too long a gap) and 70 (where the gap becomes too small).

Try this in fast moving traffic;

• Use all the road to get the best possible view, don't discount the inside line either (although never rely on it for a full picture),

• If ther is no possibility of an overtake, back off, give yourself a 2 second gap, you'll get a much better view of the road ahead. When you see a gap in the traffic, close up the gap nice and smooth so that when the gap appears you are ready to pull out and get passed.

• Remember your lifesavers, they are called this for a reason!

• Read Roadcraft, the motorcycle version it will give you lots of very good advice. Learn the system of motorcycle control.

• Get yourself on a Bike Safe course, they are all starting up in the next month and will give you access to the highly trained Police Motorcyclist, and thier wealth of knowledge,

• Keep up on your low speed skills, and take as many opportunities to practice your emergency stops (big carparks on Sunday mornings are a good place) - the last place you want to practice this is in an emergency! The ability to carry out a feet up U-turn shouldn't be underestimated, it shows real skill not just the ability to move your right wrist, which any idiot can do!

sorry you had abit of a bad experience on your 1st legal ride out after passing, hopefulyl the more you ride the more fun and better it gets :)

The 600 div is very stable in the wet I've found, mine has Bridgestone BT45s (the best tyre for it), keep it smooth-dont blip the throttle even on a straight and use the enging braking to decelerate, dominate your space on the road as you will have to corner slowish and ignore the pussy behind you :)

Thanks for the advice!!!...i really want to be safe and feel safe!!

Great description....

Remember the old 2 second rule, it'll save your bacon one day, but it only works between 30 (at which speed 2 seconds is too long a gap) and 70 (where the gap becomes too small).

Try this in fast moving traffic;

• Use all the road to get the best possible view, don't discount the inside line either (although never rely on it for a full picture),

• If ther is no possibility of an overtake, back off, give yourself a 2 second gap, you'll get a much better view of the road ahead. When you see a gap in the traffic, close up the gap nice and smooth so that when the gap appears you are ready to pull out and get passed.

• Remember your lifesavers, they are called this for a reason!

• Read Roadcraft, the motorcycle version it will give you lots of very good advice. Learn the system of motorcycle control.

• Get yourself on a Bike Safe course, they are all starting up in the next month and will give you access to the highly trained Police Motorcyclist, and thier wealth of knowledge,

• Keep up on your low speed skills, and take as many opportunities to practice your emergency stops (big carparks on Sunday mornings are a good place) - the last place you want to practice this is in an emergency! The ability to carry out a feet up U-turn shouldn't be underestimated, it shows real skill not just the ability to move your right wrist, which any idiot can do!

All this advise really does help and thankyou...the guy i passed my test with had a saying...( if in doubt CHICKEN out!! )...i keep this locked away in the back of my head at all times when riding, also i am not 20 no more i fear death!!!...as a result i am very VERY cautious of traffic...etc T-junctions and cars that like to stop in the middle of the road for god knows what reason??? :blink: ...like today this happend...i took a day off today to go cruising and just get used to my new big bike and am lovin every second :)

sorry you had abit of a bad experience on your 1st legal ride out after passing, hopefulyl the more you ride the more fun and better it gets :)

Thanks mate i had fun today took the day of to go crusing!!! i love being on the road and just want to keep going!!! :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online