kids going pillion

divster
This post is 5545 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

By prefacing your post with "Well let me throw a spanner in the works...." you are quite obviously offering your opinion on what was originally a post about the legalities of taking children pillion, and contained (what I thought) was a lot of sensible advice about how to make it as safe and enjoyable experience as you could.

I would think that most bikers who take, or intend to take their children pillion would have to answer NO to your question on the basis that if they framed it in that way, they would not be taking them pillion in the first place.

With the greatest respect your 'question' is too emotive, bordering on the preachy and focuses purely on the negative - it is what will lead us to the cotton wool obsessed nannying state that we are increasingly sleepwalking into, where our children have no ability to assess 'risk' because they have no experience of it.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

your kids should know and understand the risks like the rest of us do, but theres no reason why it could be their last ride. im sure most of you riders are ery responsable and can deal with most situations on the road with ease, and with a passenger its all the more important to take care

never bothered me when i was hanging off the back of my dads CBR900RR doing 150 down the motorway, loved it :P

your kids should know and understand the risks like the rest of us do, but theres no reason why it could be their last ride. im sure most of you riders are ery responsable and can deal with most situations on the road with ease, and with a passenger its all the more important to take care

never bothered me when i was hanging off the back of my dads CBR900RR doing 150 down the motorway, loved it :P

You have wisdom beyond your years Wild Foamy!

Good luck with the RAF thing!

WOW!

and no cotton wool!

WOW!

and no cotton wool!

No - and i bet his dad never said "Well kiddo, enjoy it cos you might die out there" either :rolleyes:

Goff,

Would I be correct in the assumption that doing 80mph over the speed limit with a child on the back of your bike is fine, is this your point of view?

Because you have not said…

Are you insane..

WTF?

But in this case I would tend to side with your attitude that it is best not to know what happens when a 7,8,9,14 or 16 year old crashes doing 150mph on the back of a bike.

If you don’t agree with my post you should not reply to it or if you think it will offend people you should delete it and send me a PM

Goff,

Would I be correct in the assumption that doing 80mph over the speed limit with a child on the back of your bike is fine, is this your point of view?

Because you have not said…

Are you insane..

WTF?

But in this case I would tend to side with your attitude that it is best not to know what happens when a 7,8,9,14 or 16 year old crashes doing 150mph on the back of a bike.

If you don’t agree with my post you should not reply to it or if you think it will offend people you should delete it and send me a PM

Where did i mention that i thought your post would offend someone?

And why are you making assumptions about me? Did i say I agreed with the speed his dad was doing?

I know EXACTLY what happens when a child is killed or injured on the back of a motorcyle - i spent 5 years working for Greater Manchester Ambulance Service and i now work in Prosthetics so FYI i think im pretty much well informed thanks.

My "insane" comment was aimed at your "have you told your child they might die" post - you didnt word it exactly like that but that is what it was.

And i would thank you not to tell me what i should and should not do regarding replying to your posts - i as everyone else am entitled to answer whether i agree or not.

Telling a child they might die is not a good thing to do at all and im still wondering why the hell you do??

its the difference between half full and half empty.

my answers no

i dont consider every time i go on my bike i'm going to die therefore i wouldnt say it to anyone.

if someone said to me jump on but you might die then i wouldnt jump on.

i told my boy all about the dangers of bike pillion and his answer was simple.

you dont want to die on your bike do you?

the answer is obvious,therefore he knows he can trust me to be careful and not put us in a position where something would endanger us.

should anything bad happen then you cross that bridge if it happens.

my answers no

i dont consider every time i go on my bike i'm going to die therefore i wouldnt say it to anyone.

the answer is obvious,therefore he knows he can trust me to be careful and not put us in a position where something would endanger us.

Great post :thumb:

my answers no

the answer is obvious, therefore he knows he can trust me to be careful and not put us in a position where something would endanger us.”

Can you explain in full detail how you protect yourself from,

Sorry mate, I didn't see you.

If you can then you will reduce the motorcycle accidents by 8,000 a year.

:grouphug:

I think this discussion is going nowhere and you should agree to disagree.

If any of us could prevent the SIDSY's we would and the world would be a better place - but we all know that isn't going to happen - we have to be as careful and as sensible as we can and do our best to educate, and empower particularly our children so that they can take 'calculated' risks understanding the potential consequences of their actions.

Contrary to popular belief life doesn't come with a guarantee of three score years and ten; somewhere over the last fifty years I think we have lost sight of that......

:grouphug:

I think this discussion is going nowhere and you should agree to disagree.

If any of us could prevent the SIDSY's we would and the world would be a better place - but we all know that isn't going to happen - we have to be as careful and as sensible as we can and do our best to educate, and empower particularly our children so that they can take 'calculated' risks understanding the potential consequences of their actions.

Contrary to popular belief life doesn't come with a guarantee of three score years and ten; somewhere over the last fifty years I think we have lost sight of that......

Absolutely a fantastic post :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Where did i mention that i thought your post would offend someone?

And why are you making assumptions about me? Did i say I agreed with the speed his dad was doing?

I know EXACTLY what happens when a child is killed or injured on the back of a motorcyle - i spent 5 years working for Greater Manchester Ambulance Service and i now work in Prosthetics so FYI i think im pretty much well informed thanks.

My "insane" comment was aimed at your "have you told your child they might die" post - you didnt word it exactly like that but that is what it was.

And i would thank you not to tell me what i should and should not do regarding replying to your posts - i as everyone else am entitled to answer whether i agree or not.

Telling a child they might die is not a good thing to do at all and im still wondering why the hell you do??

Is Prosthetics near Manchester Goff ?

I made all of the replacement hip joints in the UK when manufacturing was still in gear (a.n.other place?)

Is Prosthetics near Manchester Goff ?

I made all of the replacement hip joints in the UK when manufacturing was still in gear (a.n.other place?)

There's limb centres all over the Uk hun. The one in Manchester is Withington :D

well i seemed to open a reet can o worms on this one <_<

no way would i want to say to my kids hey hop on the back of the bike cos ya may die wtf!

personally i will admit that when im out by myself i do go slightly mental taking the divvy to all its limits i dont fire the bike up on a sunny day thinkin mm todays a good day to die , hell if i thaught that i would have got mesen a nice little sardine can instead of a bike

whenever i have someone on the back be it my wife or a friend then i do ride sensible, so when the time comes to take any of my kids out then then it will be a gradual thing , going round the estate where we live before we venture out on the open road

well i seemed to open a reet can o worms on this one <_<

no way would i want to say to my kids hey hop on the back of the bike cos ya may die wtf!

personally i will admit that when im out by myself i do go slightly mental taking the divvy to all its limits i dont fire the bike up on a sunny day thinkin mm todays a good day to die , hell if i thaught that i would have got mesen a nice little sardine can instead of a bike

whenever i have someone on the back be it my wife or a friend then i do ride sensible, so when the time comes to take any of my kids out then then it will be a gradual thing , going round the estate where we live before we venture out on the open road

divster.

I am glad you have responded back to this topic.

I don't believe you have opened a can of worms.

As I said let me throw a spanner in the works.

It shows just how much your care for your children and how serious you take taking your child on your bike, because you asked for advice.

It’s a shame that not all people who have taken a child on the back of a bike are like you.

If this topic is read by people who have taken a child on the back of a bike without serious thought, full protective, wrong size helmets if it make’s just one of them think again it has been worth the lively input from you all.

I have 2 boys and a girl, they have all been on the back of my bike, the youngest was 8 years old when he went on his first bike ride and they all absolutely love it and still do.

You have been given sound advice by the people on this forum.

I have not given you any advice so I don’t mean me.

I wish you and your children a safe and enjoyable ride.

I think I have said enough on this topic so I will leave it alone now.

Geoff.

I have 2 boys and a girl, they have all been on the back of my bike, the youngest was 8 years old when he went on his first bike ride and they all absolutely love it and still do.

Geoff.

And do you tell them each time you take them out that it may be their last?

And do you tell them each time you take them out that it may be their last?

I asked exactly the same question - several times in fact - and never got a reply, so i too would be interested to know.

firstly i will say thank you to all who have replied / given advice ,

the general impression i get is that those who have children whove grown up around bikes generally get on the back

my kids will be , if they want to B)

NO

Sad person, perhaps you should stay in bed all the time incase you have an accident getting up.

Lew

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online