kids going pillion

divster
This post is 5545 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

my daughter is 7 and keeps badgering me to get the gear so she can go on the back with me is there actually any laws that say they must be ..?..old or ...?...height or what :huh: i know theres a lot of bikers that do take their kids on the back

this is her at the rock and bike night at squires cafe (the owner asked me if shed like to sit on the bike) mind she can bugger off if she thinks im buying her a harley... yammy yes for sure :D

Picture4099.jpg

and the twins more bikers in the making (my old gpz750r)

imag00021sn4.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my daughter is 7 and keeps badgering me to get the gear so she can go on the back with me is there actually any laws that say they must be ..?..old or ...?...height or what :huh: i know theres a lot of bikers that do take their kids on the back

this is her at the rock and bike night at squires cafe (the owner asked me if shed like to sit on the bike) mind she can bugger off if she thinks im buying her a harley... yammy yes for sure :D

Picture4099.jpg

imag00021sn4.jpg

hi lovley kids grate bike

the law is achild must be able to reach the foot rest there is no age lim if they can reach the foot rest the is leagle

two friends off mine driled n bolted brackets so they can raise the footrests again it is leagle the pillon mus keep both feet on foot rest at all times thats the law good luck n ride safe

I'm sure you definatly don't need telling but make sure there head to toe protected. Nothing pisses me off more than seeing the parent in full race leathers arai helmet etc and the kid wearing jeans trainers and a coat :(

I'm sure you definatly don't need telling but make sure there head to toe protected. Nothing pisses me off more than seeing the parent in full race leathers arai helmet etc and the kid wearing jeans trainers and a coat :(

What that man said.

They are precious, but you don't need anyone telling you that.

Wish my daughter would get on the bloody back - wouldn't have to take the car as much....

brilliant ,cheers for the info, ;)

weve been trying fullface helmets on her , found a website called babybiker o gonna see about getting stuff ready for summer

Also if you have no sissy bar or top box it would be worth investing in some Love Handles so she can hang on to you. A sudden pull off can have severe consequences and kids arent always aware of how tight they need to hold on.

LOVE HANDLES

Also if you have no sissy bar or top box it would be worth investing in some Love Handles so she can hang on to you. A sudden pull off can have severe consequences and kids arent always aware of how tight they need to hold on.

LOVE HANDLES

Yes I toock my son on my bike ( he has a 90cc mx bike) and he dint like the pulling away bit that was on the vfr, But he likes the virago better as it has a sissy bar.

He was in his full mx gear .. :rolleyes:

as bove, make sure they are able to reach the pegs and are protected.

i absolutely love riding pillion on my dads CBR900RR Urban Tiger, that thing flies :lol: did like his CBX1000 though as that had a leather strap across the seat to hold on to,

i dont really rate sissy bars as sudden takeoffs tend to throw you back, and it just feels like your going to flip over the back of the bike.

Maybe you could buy your daughter a 1990 DT50MX?... there's one in the for sale section... *whistles* :P

i dont really rate sissy bars as sudden takeoffs tend to throw you back, and it just feels like your going to flip over the back of the bike.

There's only one Cruiser I know of that can pull away hard enough to do that - Rocket III

Besides, it's a lot harder on a Sports bike with just the two small handles stupidly situated right on the pivot point - Gives you even more of a chance that you'll flip.

In fact, I almost did on the back of a mate's VFR750. My feet came right up and I was tipping back.....

For the most part, especially on the high backrests, they are absolutely fantastic.

Having something to brace against works very well for the pillion and it means you can sit right back, allowing the rider more room.

Plus, of course, you can lash loads of kit to it and go tourin'!!

There's only one Cruiser I know of that can pull away hard enough to do that - Rocket III

i was refering more to the sissy bars on supersports bikes.

my dads CBR imparticular has that feeling that it will tip you off, mainly because its got soft suspension and the pillion seat is so high up, the sissy bar is so low down that there really isnt much leverage to stop you coming off.

when i was little(er) it wasnt much of a problem but me being the tall lanky bugger that i am now it means that i am up a lot higher on the pillion seat and more likely to tip off.

the divvy has still got its grab handles on and also got this rack given from a lad on one of the other forums i go on

Picture4082.jpg

i will be getting some of those love handles cos theyre a dam good idea , gonna go have a nosey at hein gerike too

Picture4099.jpg

imag00021sn4.jpg

i grew up around bikes, my dad always used to take me to junior school on the back of his gsx r 750. never had any problems and i used to love it.

ahh but were gonna get black gear so comes the joy of hand me downs, once the eldest is grown out of them my lad then the other daughter is only a midget so itll be a bit before shed get into them , so itd only be the helmets wed have to replace

Picture4099.jpg

imag00021sn4.jpg

you can get a lycra belt go around u n one for the kid n they stick u will know if it fills safe or not as there your kids good luck ride safe

ahh but were gonna get black gear so comes the joy of hand me downs, once the eldest is grown out of them my lad then the other daughter is only a midget so itll be a bit before shed get into them , so itd only be the helmets wed have to replace

Getting black is a very good idea - nice.

...Either that, or buy pink leathers for your boy and get him a really dark visor :P

My attittude to kids riding pillion is as near as possible to the attitude that I have with adults -----

I won't ever encourage you to ride motorbikes either up - front - or on - the - back.

That decision is YOURS !.

Once you have made that decision I will help, advise, insist and all of those things BUT NOT BEFORE

The big difference with kids is that YOU must apply the common sense that they lack.

They only think that they know everything BUT you KNOW that they don't.

Once they have idicated a desire to ride I apply the basics ----- can they get on and off ? ---- does their leg length actually allow their feet to reach both footrests (at the same time) -------- are they physically strong enough to hold - on.

You (hopefully) have the common sense and you must let it prevail.

It is much better for you to have erred on the side of safety than living with the knowledge that "you didn't"

My attittude to kids riding pillion is as near as possible to the attitude that I have with adults -----

I won't ever encourage you to ride motorbikes either up - front - or on - the - back.

That decision is YOURS !.

Once you have made that decision I will help, advise, insist and all of those things BUT NOT BEFORE

The big difference with kids is that YOU must apply the common sense that they lack.

They only think that they know everything BUT you KNOW that they don't.

Once they have idicated a desire to ride I apply the basics ----- can they get on and off ? ---- does their leg length actually allow their feet to reach both footrests (at the same time) -------- are they physically strong enough to hold - on.

You (hopefully) have the common sense and you must let it prevail.

It is much better for you to have erred on the side of safety than living with the knowledge that "you didn't"

yes the decision is mine , i have thaught about it for a long time ,my kids have grown up around bikes theyre helping me with building the bandit they like to watch moto gp ,i have NOT encouraged my daughter in the slightest its my daughters desire to come on the back of the bike she came and spoke to me about it,and ive told her when the time comes that i feel she is big enough as for any of my kids then and only then will i take them out on the road i was mearly asking as how the law stood

the eldest can get on and off yes she has got the strength in her legs ( trust me shes kicked me in the bollocks before so i know)

dont think for one moment that im gonna be a complete fucktard and take them out now before i know that theyre ready i aint that stupid :angry:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online