Its done it again!

wild foamy
This post is 5582 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Yep, my trusty thrusty little peashooter decided to go pop about 5 miles from andover, 10 miles away from home in the middle of nowere on a country road.

quite happily batting along when it just died almost instantly. so i coasted to the side of the road and spent the next 5 minutes kicking it and running up and down the road. a passer by stopped and lent me his phone to call my dad, and after another 5-10 minutes of hammering the kickstart and running around in the road trying to get it to start it did eventually start up but wouldn't idle.

i managed to ride it home with my dad following me in the van, later inspection points to either an electrical fault (explains the cutting out under load) and carberation.

hmm... perhaps i should stick to skateboards... :S

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

you are not having a lot of luck at the moment! i learnt the hard way stuck in the middle of no where dark no mobile phone as i hate the bloody things but have now come to realise they do have some benifits,since that day i always carry my mobile and a small magalite torch in my jacket as its no use trying to repair a bike in the middle of nowhere in the pitch black even the bloody moon was against me , hope your luck improves as its a long way for your dad to go when you are in ireland,lol

yeh, i think i may have to get a little Suzuki or something when i go to Ireland :unsure:

Please don't swear :P

yeh, i think i may have to get a little Suzuki or something when i go to Ireland :unsure:

a suzuki god no you can,t do that just take oldgitonabikes phone number 24hr help line! lol sorry og

You need to get something like a .....nice XS250 maybe, Perfek for cruising. LOL,

(pics on ther way, VIA hotmail)

to be fair you are riding a bike thats probably already had a hard life. My mate had a DT50MX, when we were 16, and we jet washed it. afterwards it was a bugger to start. we put it down to wet lectrics. anyway it went on for a week or two with him getting stranded when it kept dying.

So we stripped the top-end, got it rebore and a new piston (a big bore kit would have been better!). We fitted a new plug, new lead and coil and afterwards it was quicker and never missed a beat till he sold it. My guess is lots of little bits had gone past of their use-by-date although it didnt sound like it was suffering from piston slap.

its most likely a leccy fault. i just put new piston rings in it so i wouldn't have thought that is the problem

had a good look at the wiring loom at the front and its a bit of a mess to say the least, the black wires are all green and corroded, so looks like during the week i will have to be replacing those.

whilst im at it i may aswell change the plug and HT lead

i dont think i could sell it... not just yet...

don't sell it, when your og's age you will be buying it back for £3k as "you miss that ole bike"

its most likely a leccy fault. i just put new piston rings in it so i wouldn't have thought that is the problem

had a good look at the wiring loom at the front and its a bit of a mess to say the least, the black wires are all green and corroded, so looks like during the week i will have to be replacing those.

whilst im at it i may aswell change the plug and HT lead

i dont think i could sell it... not just yet...

:( If the wiring has is corroding where you can see it easily, I would wonder what it's doing where you can't see it? Your trip to Ireland is going to be an ace adventure, if you give it the right amount of prep. Have you seriously considered replacing the whole loom? Shouldn't be that hard to come up with one on ebay, or maybe even a genuine new Yamaha one?

Also, you have heard of VWP ? THE knees of the bee and special parts of any other insect for wiring motor bikes. Proper wire,replacement connectors (not bullets), heat shrink tubing, self amalgamating tape (a f-kin ace idea for motorbikes!) and etc. beyond belief B)

havent considered replacing the loom as it only appears to be the black wires under the headlight that have gone all shitty, most likely because its all exposed to the wind, rain and shite.

will keep an eye out for a wiring loom on the 'bay, to keep as a spare if nothing else.

just got off the phone to my dad, he says its most likely a bit of both, when starting it the bike will rev up and then drop, and when its idling the RPMs will go up and down so its most likely a lean mixture despite the fact the plug looks black... :S

how long does it take for the effects of the mixture to show on the plug?, ive got two plugs coming from ebay anyway so i could try a new plug anyway

ive already started prepping for ireland, hence why ive now put new tyres and brakes on it and am sorting out little problems like these

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online