Transporting Bikes?

wild foamy
This post is 5625 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone

im still planning my tour of ireland and have decided that insted of riding a distance of 200+ miles from my hometown of newbury to Liverpool to get a ferry to dublin, it would be easier to ride to ride to somewere like reading, put the bikes on a train and get off at liverpool...

... question is, are there any services that would allow me to ride the bike on and then stay with it for the journey instead of having to send the bike in freight a few days before hand? (its just me and a mate from school so far, with another forum member possibly joining in, so make that 2 bikes with luggage and possibly a 3rd)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi everyone

im still planning my tour of ireland and have decided that insted of riding a distance of 200+ miles from my hometown of newbury to Liverpool to get a ferry to dublin, it would be easier to ride to ride to somewere like reading, put the bikes on a train and get off at liverpool...

... question is, are there any services that would allow me to ride the bike on and then stay with it for the journey instead of having to send the bike in freight a few days before hand? (its just me and a mate from school so far, with another forum member possibly joining in, so make that 2 bikes with luggage and possibly a 3rd)

Can your dad drive, how about hire a van and then youre fully in control of your transportation issues, can you hire bike trailers and tow with a car, dunno! might be worth looking into. Personally i wouldnt want to hand my bike over to anyone unless they were professional bike transporters.

Hi everyone

look in your local rag c if u can get a man with a van it might work out cheaper good luck

my dad has a van but 200 miles is too far to go and i can respect that. atleast 4 hours solid driving.

hiring a man with a van could probably work, my dads neighbour is a courier with a big curtainside van so it may be worth asking him

Start as you mean to go on mate! If you think Liverpool is too far to ride then you've knackered yourself b4 you've started. You could always do a couple of camps in Wales going to Holyhead or Fishguard and adjust your format accordingly (like coming back to Liverpool). Then RIDING HOME!

I can see your point here, the perception is that the journey starts in Ireland, and the crappy UK roads are a pain when you want to get there.

You just need to consider it all as the journey (after all it is a journey, not a race) from the momment you step out of the door.

Why not arrange to have a starting point, all together? Bike shops are pretty good for this as it puts people (even if it is just your mum and great aunty Florence with here flea bitten mutt) in and around the shop - always looks good for them. Get some mates to ride the first 20 or so miles with you etc. The point is it will make you feel like the journey started there and get you out of the starting in Ireland mindset. It also makes getting off the ferry a milestone in the journey and you'll get a good feeling, trust me.

If time is the problem, and you really want to start at the ferry then a man-in-a-van is the best option I'd say. But 200 miles? it's only really a days riding, even on a small bike. time it so you get to the ferry (ready for check in) and do it over two days.

Why not go the night before then?

Ride to Liverpool, stay overnight in a B & B - and there are plenty of cheap ones in Liverpool - and get the ferry the next day.

Why not go the night before then?

Ride to Liverpool, stay overnight in a B & B - and there are plenty of cheap ones in Liverpool - and get the ferry the next day.

hmm, quite like Goffs idea.

will have to give it a bit more thought nearer the time methink :)

It's a fair idea - but don't you want to have your bike to ride around Ireland ?? Staying in Liverpool there is a fair to medium chance that someone might like your bike more than you do...... :lol:

If you have a date in mind. I live just off the east lancs road (20 miles from 'pool.)

I 'an't got room here at home but may be able to fix something up?

Hi everyone

Whatever way you choose to do it, take your time and enjoy it. Wise move would be to definately do the trip with at least one other rider and when something goes wrong, as it does, don,t split up. If it were me, I would be taking the Quietest roads possible to the ferry and wouldn,t worry if it took 2 days to get there. There is a group in Australia that ride postie bikes over the Simpson Desert each year. They ride 800 miles just to get to the start of their desert trek !

Hope you have a blast!

it will be around 22nd may or early june depending when my last GCSE exam is.

my mate from school is deffo in. :).

went to probike last week and tried out some luggage gear, i could fit a set of panniers on there okay but will need to fabricate some tinwork to shield it from the exhaust. will also be going with a sports tankbag as a touring one just looks ridiculous on that tiny little tank.

am giving it an overhaul during the Xmas holidays, new tyres, brake shoes, the works.

also have a big bore kit and new set of reeds on the way, wont be doing anything drastic though as i still want it to be reliable.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online