Just a little thought to myself...

wild foamy
This post is 5208 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

ooh sounds good, do they work?, can't imagine you'd get much juice from AAA batteries :S

go ahead buy some and review them for us!!! lol

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

would do if i could find 'em!, they arent on their website but my basingstoke store is only about 17 miles away, will drop in after school and see if they have them :D

have found some battery operated heated gloves on ebay, and i think maplins have them on their website aswell...

only bad thing is the dont have protected knuckles or fingers... so perhaps not he safest option...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HEATED-GLOVES-BATTER...A1%7C240%3A1318

• 3 months later...

I know this is a bit of an old thread now so you might not see this but..

I take it your on a CBT with L plates? Whats the situation with your licence if your going to ROI I know it would be ok in Northern Ireland but what about the Republic. Also your insurance?

Not putting a downer on things but I was thinking about doing somethingg similar on my YBR 125 but these were concerns that I have.

Also for the amount of gear you take with you. There is no way you will need 150 litres of stuff. I did a trip over a couple of weeks in England camping on my bike and didnt have no where near that amount of stuff. You really dont need that much.

I didnt have any panniers or a top box, i took a one man tent Gelert Solo they are £20 quid and weigh 1.5kg, a light weight sleeping bag, a meths stove and fuel bottle , and a bottle of water, and a small toolkit. I put most of this in drybags, the type kayakers use on river kayaking they are cheap. then I put it on the seat behind me and the rack and used a cargo net and some bungee cords and strapped it down.

I carried a 30litre backpack on my back with a few changes of clothes in, dont need loads as you can always wash them along the way, if your doing it in the summer you wont need loads of warm clothes anyway.

Oh and a tank bag with a map in it and the small tool kit.

Let me know what you know about the licence and insurance issues and good luck.

will have to check my policy details, i know they are here somewere...

ive decided just to take a 58 litre holdall, this can easily fit half a dozen changes of shirts, jeans, socks e.t.c aswell as my maps, camras, Hexamine stover and most other bits and pieces. it also fits neatly on the back seat by means of bungee cords.

i already have a small toolkit, consisting of a pair of small molegrips, a plug spanner a nd a couple of normal spanners, this is stowed away in one of the sidepanels on my DT :), have been looking into the Gelert Solo tents and i suspect that is what i will get nearer the time.

worked out all the distances on my 'puter... 630 miles (roughly) traveling around R.O.I and 200 miles each way from Liverpool to my hometown of Newbury, Ferries £95 return from Liverpool to Dublin

Just so you know you definately can't ride your bike in the republic of ireland legally on a cbt.

You cant do it legally, doesnt mean you cant do it. Not that I would encourage it.

Northern Ireland your ok though.

Its fantasitc to see someone actually doing something on a bike rather than the usual sunday outing to Box Hill/Matlock/Devils Bridge, and this is on a 50!

Advice.

Dont take too much gear, you wont use it.

Take string, duct tape, E1-11, cable ties, air bed (sleep well, ride well), buy a bigger tent, if it rains in Ireland (which it does a lot) you can move around and store all your gear in the dry in a bigger tent, they dont wiegh that much more than a smaller tent either.

The route you have done looks ok apart from the Limerick to Dublin leg, that is a fast road with quite a bit of dual carriageway, go a different way, it will be wonderful.

Good luck, i wish one of my mates had come up with the idea when i had a 50.

Wish i was coming, sounds like a trip to remember, and a tale or two to tell for the rest of your life, usually starting with "Well of course, when me an me mate went round Ireland on 50's .............." cue beer out of noses and cries of "Round Ireland on WHAT??"

see previous post, can't do it legally because im on a provisional :(

most likely i will just follow the coastline of GB for a couple of weeks and do my ireland tour on the Jawa next year

see previous post, can't do it legally because im on a provisional :(

most likely i will just follow the coastline of GB for a couple of weeks and do my ireland tour on the Jawa next year

I've said it before, i'll say it again, do Northern Ireland!!!

Others have recommended it, time it to catch an event or two.

you wont regret it!!

Northern Ireland is a bit too far on a 50 methink, doesnt really appeal to me imparticular but i'll do a bit of research and see if it would be possible...

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i might be getting a Yam RS100x early next year if i can prize it off it`s current owner!! (he never uses it?)

if i get it, i will be using it to tour East Anglia and i am looking forward to the challenge!!!

I have a ZX6R but there`s no challege getting anywhere on that, it`s to easy.

one RS100x, back-rack, panniers, waterproofs, tent and some cash and i`ll be gone :)

anybody with a bucket of cash can get a big bike and do touring, but to me it lacks something.

i feel that i have accomplished something when i get there (wherever my final destination is) on my little bike.

in the late seventies there was a club called the "Small Bore Club" and to be a member your bike had to be less than 200cc........ reading these threads i think it might still have a place in modern biking.

More please folks from anyone who has toured Britan or parts of it on a small bike, i would be very interested to read about any problems you came across and things i should watch out for... thanks!

just so the peeps know, it aint happenin' on the DT any more... ive still got the little peashooter but now that ive got myself a little lovebus of my own it will be a mere summer plaything.

however, im still planning to tour on a bigger bike, maybe a XJ600, however because im currently doing my trade training its going to have to wait until july-ish. so watch this space!, lol

• 1 month later...

Good on you mate, ive wanted to do a bit of touring for ages with 2 of my mates, but things just keep popping up and we never get round to it. Good luck with it, mind take a few pics;)

Cheers ricky, im going to pick up my XJ600 next friday morning and can't wait! :D, the touring idea is still in the back of my mind so not all hope is lost! :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online