Motorcycle tax to double in 2009 Please sign petition

Blip6niner
This post is 5614 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

• 1 month later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

U.K Motorcycle tax.

Of interest to all of us! The Government are proposing an increase in bike tax to double the current rate for 2009. Please sign the following petition;

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/motorcycle-tax/

Please Sign Guys.

Signed and forwarded to all my Friends useing Face Book.

Thats ment The Smart Car is going to be free on tax from next year. Yet my CG that produces less CO2 will be £30, Are they trying to get Bikes off the road I would have thought they were trying to promote them becasue they create less CO2.

Have a good Sunday all.

Just completed the petition, but also emailed my MP, not sure what effect it will have, if any, here is what i said:

Hello to whomever reads this,

I am a one of Ms. Primarolos constuents, living in the Filwood/Knowle West area. I am presently concerned (along with many users of two-wheeled powered personal transport) about the large increses in 'raod tax' proposed for 2009.

Alistair Darling plans to exempt cars which emit less than 100 grams of CO2 per kilometre from 'road tax', which i back. However small capacity motorcycles ( <125cc the type often favoured by commutes) are subject to an increase from £15 to £33. This seems extremely unfair to me as a motorcyclist for several reasons:

1. The levels of pollutants are usually low, the very latest small capacity motorcycles meet very strigent european wide legislation (as do all motorcycles) with regard to emissions. Coupled with low fuel it is reasonable to say that although figures are not yet required, they would typically fall well short of the 100grams/km figure tax-emempt cars will be subject too (i feel i can comment on this with some understanding due to my professional background).

2. As MP for South Bristol, you will be aware that Bristol as a City, and also as a Greater Urban Area, has significant congestion problems. Small motorcycles must surely be a better choice for many commuters than any single occupancy car, low emission or otherwise.

3. Small motorcycles are often the affordable choice of transport for people on low incomes, suely it is unfair to expect to implement 'road tax' increases on this group to double the cost to this vunerable group of people, particularly in the present economic climate.

4. Motocycles due to their lower weight and generally lower per annum mileages, cause less damage and wear to road surfaces, surely this must be factored into the cost of 'raod tax' if it is to be fair to all road uses.

5. Motorcycles use less parking-space, this has many implications in a crowded urban-area like Bristol, where parking for motor vehicles puts significant pressure on green spaces and rain-water run-off.

I hope i have outlined my thoughts on this impotant subject in a considered and relevant way. I personally do not have significant problems as i work near to my home, however others are not so fortunate and rely on these inexpensive, congestion-busting motorcycles to commute to work, college etc.

I hope you are able to discuss this matter with your colleagues in government, particularly as you represent some of the most deprived areas in the South-West of England.

Kind regards

Signed and forwarded to all my Friends useing Face Book.

Thats ment The Smart Car is going to be free on tax from next year. Yet my CG that produces less CO2 will be £30, Are they trying to get Bikes off the road I would have thought they were trying to promote them becasue they create less CO2.

Have a good Sunday all.

They want Bikes off the roads as more diesel is being sold and they are at risk of being sued,as crashes on spills will become an issue. :(

URGH... i've had my motorbike for just over 10 days and already i hate the government.

im between jobs currently and can probably just about scrounge together the £15 for my tax and possibly another £20-£30 for my MOT in a few weeks, i dont see why something like my little chicken-chaser which produces less C02 than a fart should be taxed so much. £15 is alright, but £33 why?, just another excuse to screw the motorist

... f*ck you government, f*ck you... :angry:

• 1 month later...

... f*ck you government, f*ck you... :angry:

Easy tiger... They just want more money, we dont want to pay them a penny. Its how it works (Problem is, if we don't pay, we get fines :angry: )

U.K Motorcycle tax.

Of interest to all of us! The Government are proposing an increase in bike tax to double the current rate for 2009. Please sign the following petition;

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/motorcycle-tax/

Just signed the petition, not as if they will use the extra reveue generated to fill in a few potholes or remove manhole covers.

I wonder if the idea was proposed by the Chief Constable of North Wales?? now there is a gentleman that LOVE'S bikers.

Lew

just signed the petition. as a scotsman living in ireland you have my support. the extra revenue aint going to be spent on the roads thats for sure. these goverment ministers wouldnt know a pot hole or desiel spill if it bit them on thier fat f***ing a**es. the b******s steal enough of our cash already on petrol duty. when was the last time one of these overpaid criminals filled thier minesterial car with THIER OWN money instead of yours?

and you thought i was pissed off at the government :P

he speaks sense though... they're help themselves to our tax money and piss that away but such is life i guess... ¬¬

4. Motocycles due to their lower weight and generally lower per annum mileages, cause less damage and wear to road surfaces, surely this must be factored into the cost of 'raod tax' if it is to be fair to all road uses.

Motorcycles are not even considered when deciding how long a road will last, what damage will be done, the wear out rate etc.

Here's another consideration;

I have a 4x4, I don't murder people, or run over small children, or fluffy bunnies - It's a mode of transport that suits my location, weather etc. But I only do around 6000 mile a year in it, for which I have the privilege of paying £200 in RFL.

The bloke across the road has a Ford Fiesta and he does around 30,000 miles a year and pays around £80 a year.

I would wager that he does far more damage to the enviornment than I do, but I have to pay more. Just goes to show that it's nothing to do with anything except money.

And it boiles my blood to think that those in power can use it to bail out banks, who should suffer the same fate as any other business when they make bad business descisions. That and fighting a foe that no-one has ever beaten throughout history.

Motorists are an easy target, motorcyclist even easier, the cowardly rulers will do as they please , until election time.

And it boiles my blood to think that those in power can use it to bail out banks, who should suffer the same fate as any other business when they make bad business descisions. That and fighting a foe that no-one has ever beaten throughout history.

dont get me started on that shower of bankers!!!!!!

dont get me started on that shower of bankers!!!!!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online