False neutrals

Jimbosimbo
This post is 5127 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi There

I wonder if anyone can throw some light on to why false neutrals happen. I an still a learner and have had a lot of these recently. I had the bike (YBR 125) serviced and last week had the chain tightened. I had a bad one tonight, nerely went over the handle bars, wobbled all over the shop AND sounded my horn just to draw attention to myself. I have learned not to panick when this happens but I feel they are too frequent. It only happens when go from first to second it could be that I'm to light with the shift.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

wearing soft shoes can lead to false neutrals, also old oil or the wrong oil can lead to false neutrals.

Hi There

I wonder if anyone can through some light on to why false neutrals happen. I an still a learner and have had a lot of these recently. I had the bike (YBR 125) serviced and last week had the chain tightened. I had a bad one tonight, nerely went over the handle bars, wobbled all over the shop AND sounded my horn just to draw attention to myself. I have learned not to panick when this happens but I feel they are too frequent. It only happens when go from first to second it could be that I to light with the shift.

Any ideas?

Cheers

considering neutral is between 1st and 2nd yes you are being too light on it. wear bike boots help as trainers are too soft over the toes.

I occasionally get caught out, especially if I hare to down shift quickly at roundabouts

Pushing the gear lever from 1st to 2nd gear means going from a gear that revs with some speed to another with lower speed and thereisn't anything on the YBR125 to equalize the revs from the one to the other gear (I don't know the word in english). So if you don't change gear with a quick and dare movement all the way up (or down) till it "cliks"... its very probable to see this hapen. I think that this hapens when upgearing (1st to 2nd etc) rather than downgearing.

Pushing the gear lever from 1st to 2nd gear means going from a gear that revs with some speed to another with lower speed and thereisn't anything on the YBR125 to equalize the revs from the one to the other gear (I don't know the word in english). So if you don't change gear with a quick and dare movement all the way up (or down) till it "cliks"... its very probable to see this hapen. I think that this hapens when upgearing (1st to 2nd etc) rather than downgearing.

Falase neutrals tel me about em always seem to happen at the worst possible moment just when dropping a cog for powering out of a corner, only real cure a scooter with belt drive :thumbdown::banghead: i remember poodling along a straight in the seventies on me RD250 minding my own business when i was passed by another rd took off after him like a scalded cat caught him on a series of bends then missed a gear and lost everything,

merv

Cheers Guys

I am wearing bike boots but they have a rubber section for preventing wear on the boots when changing gear. It's possible the rubber gets slippery in the rain. The problem is not remembering wot I done to cause the false neutral in the first place. The oil has been changed during a service they put silcoline in it, thelast oil used was Shell helix plus 10w40 the man said silcoline is THE BEST.

I suspect this is one of the thing you have to put up with on 2 wheels.

On the subject of catching up with other bikes my YBR has a problem keepin up with its own exhaust emissions

Jimbosimbo

• 1 year later...

I recently bought a YBR125 and after initially loving it, I am now sick to death of it.

I am now seriously on the verge of selling it because of these false neutrals.

There seems to be no logic to it. Some journeys it doesn't stick at all. Other journeys it can stick repeatedly. One 7 mile journey I had it up to 15 times.

When riding In central London with a white van stuck up your arse and you're in the middle of 4 lanes of traffic, where you can't pull over or put hazard lights on it is a total nightmare.

I have tried with soft shoes and motorbike boots and it doesn't seem to matter how hard you push up, it just will not pass through neutral into second.

I have my first service next Monday and my confidence is now so shot on the bike I am worried about the ride to the dealership.

If this is a feature of bike riding, I'm going to get an X-max or car. Sick of it.

It happens occasionally, to all of us. Even me. :rolleyes:

I do mean occasionally, though. Most of it will just go with time as your riding habits develop. Whenever it happens to me I'm never expecting it, but I just recognise it and re-shift. No worries.

Try not to pay any attention to what the little green light is doing - Learn to know your bike and it's behaviour from sound and feel.

If your bike is continually doing this, like Murbster's, then there's either a fault which needs fixing, or you bought a crap bike and should swap it for something else... Cruisers are good (nudge nudge) ;)

Hi There

I wonder if anyone can throw some light on to why false neutrals happen. I an still a learner and have had a lot of these recently. I had the bike (YBR 125) serviced and last week had the chain tightened. I had a bad one tonight, nerely went over the handle bars, wobbled all over the shop AND sounded my horn just to draw attention to myself. I have learned not to panick when this happens but I feel they are too frequent. It only happens when go from first to second it could be that I'm to light with the shift.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Surely if its happening between first and second its not a false neutral, it IS neutral.

You have just got to learn how to ride the bike. A false neutral comes between any gear and when you consider the other extreem is 2 different gears meshing together at the same time and locking the box terminally solid. I can live with the odd one.

Just relax and ride, you are concentrating on the gearchange, just forget about it and it will stop being an issue. If it persists you may want to adjust the gear linkage/lever to get a more positive throw

• 2 weeks later...

I now know the reason why my 'false neutrals' were happening. When I took it in for its first service the mechanic told me that the chain had become loose which was causing the problem.

Falling back in love with riding. It was quite scary before.

• 1 month later...

Surely if its happening between first and second its not a false neutral, it IS neutral.

You have just got to learn how to ride the bike. A false neutral comes between any gear and when you consider the other extreem is 2 different gears meshing together at the same time and locking the box terminally solid. I can live with the odd one.

Just relax and ride, you are concentrating on the gearchange, just forget about it and it will stop being an issue. If it persists you may want to adjust the gear linkage/lever to get a more positive throw

My 77 xs 400 often times green nuetral light comes on between 1 and 2 but it is actually still in gear. I've been riding for years this bike I've owned for over a year and it's quite embarrassing to stall. Is there a specific reason this happens?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online