Nearly lost my R1 this morning... advice please

RobSamson
This post is 5749 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Unbelievable - bought a 2001 R1 about 3 weeks ago and was woken up about 5am this morning as the alarm was going off. I knew they were popular but 3 weeks?!

Anyway, this morn - I ran out of my flat to find the cover had been taken off, the front disc lock was on the pavement and the bike was lying on its right hand side. Picked the bike up and found no scratches apart from a very, very light stone chip or two on the side cowling :huh: can only guess the alarm went and they had the good sense not to drop it?? Bizarre... thought I would be looking at some new panelling.

Couple of questions for you guys/girls and would be grateful for any advice:

- I'm assuming it hasn't been dropped as I can't see any marks. If it was dropped, is there anything I need to watch out for (bent frame etc. etc.) and how would I check it out. Could it have been dropped without obvious signs?

- Decided it's time to beef up the security. I have an alarm/immobiliser - can any people give me your top tips. I'm thinking a 6ft chain to lock it to a lamp-post and a better quality disc lock. If you have any other ideas or suggestions on brands/ types of lock that would be much appreciated.

Take care, and lock up!

Rob

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Unbelievable - bought a 2001 R1 about 3 weeks ago and was woken up about 5am this morning as the alarm was going off. I knew they were popular but 3 weeks?!

Anyway, this morn - I ran out of my flat to find the cover had been taken off, the front disc lock was on the pavement and the bike was lying on its right hand side. Picked the bike up and found no scratches apart from a very, very light stone chip or two on the side cowling :huh: can only guess the alarm went and they had the good sense not to drop it?? Bizarre... thought I would be looking at some new panelling.

- I'm assuming it hasn't been dropped as I can't see any marks. If it was dropped, is there anything I need to watch out for (bent frame etc. etc.) and how would I check it out. Could it have been dropped without obvious signs?

- Decided it's time to beef up the security. I have an alarm/immobiliser - can any people give me your top tips. I'm thinking a 6ft chain to lock it to a lamp-post and a better quality disc lock. If you have any other ideas or suggestions on brands/ types of lock that would be much appreciated.

Take care, and lock up!

Rob

You might want to think about getting one of these.

http://www.secure-a-bike.com/prijslijst.html

http://www.motosafe.co.uk/bikesafe-c19.html

Or buy a house with a garage.

Take care, and lock up!

Rob

Take a layered approach, use different types of security (Chains, alarms, disc locks etc) and from different manufacturers, with different technology (i.e. - key types).

You need to get it fixed to an imovable object - lamp-post or speak to your local council, they might let you fix a ground anchor, if you are allowed then go for a Gold Standard one.

Chain ?? lots of them around, the problem is that they mostly protect from one type of attack, liquid nitrogen will reduce most to nothing stonger than a milk bottle (quick tap and it's in a million bits!) where braded wire will resist this, but can be cut with bolt crops, you see my point? you need to layer the security to defend against multiple attacks.

There are alarmed disc locks, these are OK - at least you will be warned when they are trying to remove it

The bottom line here is simple, if they want it, they will get it. What you need to do is make them move to the next bike and leave yours alone. Noise is your best deterent, the more noise (even though most people ignor it) the less the attacker is going to want to hang around.

Some thieving scumbags tried to get my TTR 6 months ago, but a dodgy gate bolt (it kept falling out) hit the ground and the dogs went crazy, run outside to find the cover of the bike, and the disc lock damaged. I sold my boat and put the bike in garage with a ground anchor and alarmed the garage!

They should chop the right hands off bike thieves on the first offence, the left on the second - There wouldn't be a third!

Or buy a house with a garage.

or just put your bike in your house

:rolleyes:

Sorry to hear your tale but glad the bike didn't get lifted. When I bought the TDM, I asked about best security when it isn't in the garage. The dealer's response?

"Park it next to an R1"

Not much help to you, I know but it tickled me.

In addition to all of the above, try to keep your chain OFF the ground. it makes attacking it more difficult if swinging in the air. Also minimises the effect of Liquid Nitrogen, as needs to be "pooled" around the links to do a proper job.

A shotgun helps, but if you are in the city, a bit hard to get a certificate these days.

Anti personnel land mines are good too, but care needs to be taken when laying them, You don`t want to damage your paintwork.

Check your clip ons, to make sure they both at the same angle, and check your wheel alignment, in case the forks are twisted in the yokes.

It sounds like a fairly gentle lay down, rather than a crash over, as you say there is no, (or minimal) bodywork damage.

If your bar ends and levers are ok, the rest of the bike probably is too.

Good luck, I hope you don`t have the pleasure of coming across the scumbag(s) again soon.

Take a layered approach, use different types of security (Chains, alarms, disc locks etc) and from different manufacturers, with different technology (i.e. - key types).

You need to get it fixed to an imovable object - lamp-post or speak to your local council, they might let you fix a ground anchor, if you are allowed then go for a Gold Standard one.

Chain ?? lots of them around, the problem is that they mostly protect from one type of attack, liquid nitrogen will reduce most to nothing stonger than a milk bottle (quick tap and it's in a million bits!) where braded wire will resist this, but can be cut with bolt crops, you see my point? you need to layer the security to defend against multiple attacks.

There are alarmed disc locks, these are OK - at least you will be warned when they are trying to remove it

The bottom line here is simple, if they want it, they will get it. What you need to do is make them move to the next bike and leave yours alone. Noise is your best deterent, the more noise (even though most people ignor it) the less the attacker is going to want to hang around.

Some thieving scumbags tried to get my TTR 6 months ago, but a dodgy gate bolt (it kept falling out) hit the ground and the dogs went crazy, run outside to find the cover of the bike, and the disc lock damaged. I sold my boat and put the bike in garage with a ground anchor and alarmed the garage!

They should chop the right hands off bike thieves on the first offence, the left on the second - There wouldn't be a third!

Just to add to what you said ,last night someone gave me a ring they wouldnt say who they were onley that they knew me and said make sure you lock up your bike well cos someone is wanting to steal your DTR . Its realy sickend me i know a dtr isnt an R1 but i worked very hard to get the cash to buy my bike and i have a good deal of pride with it im off out tommorow to get some more locks, why cant these scumbags save up their own damm money and buy a bike rather than take sombody elses.

.....why cant these scumbags save up their own damn money and buy a bike rather than take sombody elses.

Sadly, as you pointed out yourself, it is because the thieves are low-lifes that the concept of getting something honestly doesn't compute. It doesn't matter if you own fifteen grand's worth of tricked up R1 special or a ratty XS250; losing your bike is always going to make you feel sick. I have, fortunately, so far been spared such heartache. Living in the sticks has its advantages sometimes.

Is there any way you can put your bike inthe foyer of the flats and lock it up there? Maybe to the stairs or something?

Thanks for all thoughts and feedback. I've found gated/secure parking for the daytime and beefed up the locks for the evening to make sure it's chained to something.

Next stop... shotgun & landmine shop :D

These work, not sure about the legality on the street, but my back fence is protected by them, with the landowners agreement of course.

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/ALARM_MINES.htm

They don't half make you jump, even when you know they're going off ! :biggrinbounce:

Sadly, as you pointed out yourself, it is because the thieves are low-lifes that the concept of getting something honestly doesn't compute. It doesn't matter if you own fifteen grand's worth of tricked up R1 special or a ratty XS250; losing your bike is always going to make you feel sick. I have, fortunately, so far been spared such heartache. Living in the sticks has its advantages sometimes.

What i thought, turns out it makes no difference where you live still took 2 of our bikes.

sickens me :angry:

cant own nothing now days with out worrying about it being taken!

Theres also another make of lock cant think of it at the mo but will find it.

I looked into it and most locks were off in seconds but this lock didnt brake just broke the cutters!! (professional attempt)

they also say that if your bike is stolen with there lock on they will pay your insurance excess.

Locks are about 140 quid and seem the best so far iv ever seen.

Il post again when i get the name :mellow:

AYE ROB Iv the very thing ; its called a pochers gun "simple to make,,, it takes a blank shotgun catridge [ or live if the persist] ,coupled to a trip/pull wire . scares they SHIT OUT O" THEM.. :lol::lol::D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online