XJ900F Petrol Tank leaks

blue2
This post is 4380 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My K Reg. Pre-Divvy XJ900F has fallen prey to the dreaded Petrol Tank Tinworm. Bugger! I have tried all of the Snakeoil "Sloshit about-lard it on" remedies, and have had to admit defeat. Scraped it all off and am horrified at the state of it.

Asked a quote from Tank Re-Nu in Hartlepool ( Allegedly foolproof solution) £150 plus VAT. Than I'd have to get it painted! Does anybody have a better cure. Good, sound second hand ones are like odourless skunks- rare indeed. I am in Aberdeen. HELP !!! Blue2 :pissed-off:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Id try a scrap yard mate but as uve said they are rare as hens teeth I aint got any other helpful suggestions sorry.

Hope you get a good and cheap result

Regards

Thanks for the reply "Misery loves company" I've got the tank in to an engineering firm I used to work with. Brazing or silver solder, they say is what they are going to try. THEN I've got to get it painted! ££££££££ flying out the wndow! Isn't biking just the biggest Fun? Hopefullt that will be the cure, and I can sell my (very nice) XJ for summat else a bit more suited to my plans. Keep it upright! Blue 2

My K Reg. Pre-Divvy XJ900F has fallen prey to the dreaded Petrol Tank Tinworm. Bugger! I have tried all of the Snakeoil "Sloshit about-lard it on" remedies, and have had to admit defeat. Scraped it all off and am horrified at the state of it.

Asked a quote from Tank Re-Nu in Hartlepool ( Allegedly foolproof solution) £150 plus VAT. Than I'd have to get it painted! Does anybody have a better cure. Good, sound second hand ones are like odourless skunks- rare indeed. I am in Aberdeen. HELP !!! Blue2 :pissed-off:

is this it?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YAMAHA-XJ900-XJ-900-...tem230039865551

Hi Drewpy, Now how did I manage to miss that! Thanks a Million Pal, I owe you a pint or three! Blue 2 :thumb:

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi there, purchased a xj900f a couple of weeks ago, it started leaking from bottom corners of the tank. I drained and removed tank and ground back to bare metal to find it had been filled with body filler. OK so after making it all safe and clean I went with a process of LEAD LOADING all the holes. Done pressure test and all seems to be good and now for a new paint job !

Hi there, purchased a xj900f a couple of weeks ago, it started leaking from bottom corners of the tank. I drained and removed tank and ground back to bare metal to find it had been filled with body filler. OK so after making it all safe and clean I went with a process of LEAD LOADING all the holes. Done pressure test and all seems to be good and now for a new paint job !

Don't leave us in suspence. Please explain the process of LEAD LOADING.

He's going old skool on us. Its what the old coach builders used to do to fill welds and such on bodywork its a lead/zink blend i believe..

Some call it silver soldering (very similar to plumbing soldering), only used on older car radiators now i think and really expensive car restorations.

My ol man could do it if i'm understanding it right.

Lead loading is where you melt solder over the joint or seam that you want to hide and then file it back smooth, used to be used on a lot of old American cars to make them look nice and smooth at the shut lines and around the light clusters, easy to do but a bugger to get off if you get it wrong. :jossun:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online