Fuel pump

Keith Higgins
This post is 2655 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If it's like a buzzing/rrrrtttttttttttttttttttttttt that slows/stops after a couple of seconds, then yes it's just priming.

If it's a slow click-click-click like spokey-dokeys, then possibly something else and possibly a problem...

1 hour ago, Keith Higgins said:

I have a 2001 fazer 600 when I turn the key on then the red switch on i can hear a clicking noise coming from the pump is this normal or is it the pump priming?

When I turn the key it was clicking for a few seconds  yesterday it stop clicking and the bike is pulling back like it's getting no fuel  would it be the pump

Might well be the pump, yes.

If it usually clicks/buzzes, then it's usually working fine. If it doesn't make noise and the bike runs fine, then I'd assume it's already primed.

If it doesn't make any noise and the bike runs badly, then it could just be the cold or your points may need servicing. If you're happy taking things apart, it's likely just a case of lightly sanding the point surfaces.

Yes, but bear in mind this is an internet diagnosis only, based on what info you posted. Could still be several other things.

You haven't done the silly and left the fuel tap off or anything, have you?

On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 5:04 PM, Ttaskmaster said:

If it's like a buzzing/rrrrtttttttttttttttttttttttt that slows/stops after a couple of seconds, then yes it's just priming.

If it's a slow click-click-click like spokey-dokeys, then possibly something else and possibly a problem...

cor your posh, it was cards and sellotape round ours.

Sellotape, we had to make do with cards and a peg.

18 hours ago, Cynic said:

cor your posh, it was cards and sellotape round ours.

Not really - A pack of Cornflakes cost less than Sellotape and the Spokey Dokeys came free in the box!

9 hours ago, Campaman said:

Sellotape, we had to make do with cards and a peg.

Your assuming we bought the tape and the card.

Some fuel pumps have filters .  my mate found a  brillo pad in fuel pump .  ;) 

Spokey"s , we used  lolly pop stick,:biggrinbounce:

Carb'ed yams with electric fuel pumps usually have a fuel filter after the pump. ~It is worth inspecting this and replacing if it is blocked. Any generic inline filter will do (a motor factor will have something close on the shelf for less than a fiver), I replace them every couple of years as a routine. Also the fuel entry to the carbs may have a filter 'sock' inside the inlet pipe. It is worth removing and cleaning.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, blackhat250 said:

Spokey"s , we used  lolly pop stick,:biggrinbounce:

Nah, too warm down here for ice....:ssst:

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online