Thought for the Day

jimmy
This post is 3018 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

When my auldest boy turned 16 we got him a reiju 50 (minarelli engine same as Yam use, so on topic) and at 22 he is still riding. Unfortunately he cannot put a nut in a monkeys mouth because I have done all the maintenance / repairs on the 3 bikes he has owned. My youngest will turn 14 in the summer and I'm thinking of picking up an auld DT 50 (or similar). That way he can help me restore it in time for his 16th and in doing so, pick up a bit of tinkering knowledge. I assume parts are easy to come by, and there would be no rush.

Thoughts anyone???

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sounds like a great idea to me! Every young lads dream

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I did that for my boy and he wasn't interested.

Still made a great bike before I got knocked off it

• Like 2

Drewps

He has been asking about a bike when he turns 16, so I'm hoping this will 'do' it for him.......

Think it sounds like a fantastic idea Jimmy. Even if he gets bored (hopefully not), it'll give you something fun to do.

And if he does get bored, I'll head up and you can teach me, ha ha!

• Like 1

That's pretty much what I did for my lad when he was 15 - TS50X field bike brought back to life as a road machine.

7cc0db157a82df3c9b1eb27de09f12b1.jpg

Little bugger's 26 this year and I still do all the spanner twirling!

• Like 2

I think that'd be a great idea, I wasn't given any help, but like most I've managed to hobble my way around problems and am now capable of keeping it running (after asking the knowledge of some experts). I think if you actually have your kid restore the bike with you he'd be more than capable to do most maintenance jobs, and he'd have more confidence to tackmle jobs than most, I found that to be my problem at first, getting the confidence in my ability to take tools to my bike. 

And being a 2-stroke it'd be even better, they're about as simple as it gets. However I've heard from some that old DT parts can be hard to find, not sure what it's like for a DT50 though, all I know about that bike, is that for a 16 year old it's a ball of fun. 

• Like 1