new bike dilemma! D:

captf
This post is 3337 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I actually paid off the finance for the YBR on Friday. Now just waiting on it going HPI clear, then putting it up on Autotrader. [should be tomorrow]

Plan with the next bike is buy it on the credit card, then get a loan of comparible - or cheaper - APR to finance, and pay off the credit card with that. This means the bike is mine from the get go, and I can sell it on without the HPI issues.

For the XJ6, I want one very largely due to the aesthetic of it. I honestly don't like the look of supermotos.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

There is no logic in the way you plan to finance the bike. If you took out a bank loan, this would be an unsecured loan and not against the bike for the purposes of any HPI check.

Exactly. I wouldn't want it against the bike. If the loan is outstanding, and I decide I want a new bike, I'd not be preventing from selling the current bike, unlike if I had it on finance.

Wont comment on finance made c**k ups with finance in the past. How many bikes have you had a go on or are you just sold on an XJ600 there's loads of different models and makes of 600s you should try several you might surprise yourself as to what you like and more importantly feels right for you. Go and get some test rides but leave your money at home so you don't make an impulse buy.

It's highly unlikely I'll be able to get a test ride - too new a rider. So, any new bike is a bit of a risk for me.

For the XJ6 [from about 2009 onwards], it's the look of it that initially spoke to me, and having done a bit of research on it - reviews, etc. - it seems to be a reliable and smooth bike to ride. I find the seating position quite comfortable too [friend has one, and has allowed me at least that (: ]

I know that I'm putting in a lot of trust to other people here, but in these cases I feel I have to.

Have to agree with Steve (above) about the test ride mate, you should ride it even if it's around the car park of the shop, that can tell you a lot about any bike especially how it handles at low speeds. If you tell them you will only buy if you can test it they will come up with a way to get you out on it. I once heard of a guy who took his mate with him to view a bike, the mate had a full licence and had been riding for years so no probs with the test ride then round the corner he jumped on and took it for a spin! Not suggesting you do that but who's going to know unless you bin it? :biglaugha:

Capt, any decent garage will let you have a test ride. When I got my Tiger, I only had my full license for a very short time and they offered a test ride where one of the sales guys followed on another bike. I didn't even have to ask.

Originally I was sold on a Kawasaki ER-6f, but actually I would have got bored of the bike in a short space of time. The engine vibrated through the pegs, sounded like it was getting strangled at motorway speed and didn't really excite me.

Whilst I've not ridden an XJ, like most newbies it was on my list. However sitting on one in a showroom it felt dated and heavy for what it was. They weigh the same as my Tiger did but it didn't feel right. Don't get me wrong, they are a tried and test model and I love the look of them, but if you've not ridden one, give it a try.

Appreciate you aren't in it for the speed etc, but just knowing you'll be comfortable on it and it doesn't expose any annoying habits to you personally will really help your decision. So speak to a local garage, you never know.

I do see the wisdom in a test ride, and I definitely agree that slow speed handling tells a lot - and can be the most crucial, since that's the most likely time to drop the thing.

I'll have an ask when I go to check one out.

[And I'm now worried that I'm going to have to find more bikes I like the look of! The ER-6N was comfortable seating, but the handlebars were definitely not - too in-turned]

Capt " the MT07 is great [ check write ups] cheap too, The old Fazer600 , are cool :icon_cool:, And the Triumph street675, [ daytona frame]

best handling ever,

If I buy a new bike , [ havn"t since 1976] it will be either a Yamaha Tracer, OR 800 Tiger XR :rolleyes:

Plan some time thinking about what you want out of a bike, trawl the net and then spend a day trekking around different showrooms to look at the ones you're interested in. Every showroom I've been in have been a relaxed bunch who are happy for you to ask questions and spend ages sitting on bikes. Things like that will really help you out.

Blackies right - the Triumphs are great and if I had the money / space I'd still own my Tiger. Engine is effortless and smooth. I miss mine but the Street is a riot - incredibly easy to ride.

Really liking the new Yammys they are churning out now too... A much more enticing selection than the likes of Honda and Kawasaki.

You're lucky Capt, there is so much choice out there! Enjoy finding the one for you.

The Housemate would murder me if I got an MT-07 before her :D

Oddly though, I don't like the seating position of it - for some reason I can get my feet more planted on an XJ6 compared to the MT-07, even though the seat is lower on the MT.

Triumphs don't quite do it for me - granted, I've only really looked at striples. Quick check shows the tiger being more bike than I want right now, and the striple is over budget...

I do need to have a proper gander round a good dealership soon. Hopefully that new CMC gets opened in Manchester sharpish, and I can go for a more leisurely look see.

The Kawa Z600 [naked ninja!] also looks interesting to me...

The Housemate would murder me if I got an MT-07 before her :D

Oddly though, I don't like the seating position of it - for some reason I can get my feet more planted on an XJ6 compared to the MT-07, even though the seat is lower on the MT.

Triumphs don't quite do it for me - granted, I've only really looked at striples. Quick check shows the tiger being more bike than I want right now, and the striple is over budget...

I do need to have a proper gander round a good dealership soon. Hopefully that new CMC gets opened in Manchester sharpish, and I can go for a more leisurely look see.

The Kawa Z600 [naked ninja!] also looks interesting to me...

don't forget the manchester bike show end of month, you can walk there its that close

Oh yeah, forgot about that! Walking would be about 30-45 mins, I think...

We should see how many from the local area are going. And get T-shirts. ;)

Drewps has possibly the best club t-shirt... I was rather jealous when I saw it at Squires! That's the top we need for the next YOC meet...

• Like 1

Ask Foamy if he will do the T-shirts, that should be good for a laugh !!! :shakeno::crazy::biglaugha:

• Like 2

I actually paid off the finance for the YBR on Friday. Now just waiting on it going HPI clear, then putting it up on Autotrader. [should be tomorrow]

Plan with the next bike is buy it on the credit card, then get a loan of comparible - or cheaper - APR to finance, and pay off the credit card with that. This means the bike is mine from the get go, and I can sell it on without the HPI issues.

For the XJ6, I want one very largely due to the aesthetic of it. I honestly don't like the look of supermotos.

Congrats dude! You now own your bike and it's all paid off!....but it's as good as useless now that you don't want it...

Unless it's amazing condition I wouldn't get my hopes up for 1.6K, there are cheaper options that people will take, I got my YBR Custom for 1K, great bike. I'd lower the price, but I suppose it doen't hurt to try yoiur luck.

Of course it's not useless - I'm still using it :D

As for price, it's actually a fair price - cheaper than the same bike at a dealership - given that age will also factor into what it will command.

There are differences as well between years - for instance, the change from carbs to fuel injection on the YBR after '09

Basically, I'll try it at that price, see how it goes.

Of course it's not useless - I'm still using it :D

As for price, it's actually a fair price - cheaper than the same bike at a dealership - given that age will also factor into what it will command.

There are differences as well between years - for instance, the change from carbs to fuel injection on the YBR after '09

Basically, I'll try it at that price, see how it goes.

Wait, these bikes are going to £1600 in good condition....me wonderes if I can turn a proffit on my YBR custom...