new bike dilemma! D:

captf
This post is 3338 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Been itching badly to replace the YBR for a while now, and I've located a couple of XJ6s [through dealerships]...

But dilemmas! This weekend is looking to be a bit dreich down [up?] here and I still need to finish off the finance on the YBR. I can't even justify part exchanging it - if they'll even allow it, due to different finance companies - because dealerships offer effective pennies for it ): [i asked elsewhere, and they only offered £1k for a '12 YBR 125, when I could sell it privately for £1600. Although, HPI may prevent that]

I could get both, but I'd then have 2 bikes, and less ability to pay off my YBR faster!

How do I cope?!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I got my YBR on finance as I just couldn't wait after getting my CBT! I paid it off when I was getting my DAS and sold it privately. Didn't take long to sell.

Gave me the most amount of money to get out and buy my Tiger. It's painful waiting but defo worth clearing your finance and selling it privately. Nothing stopping you just getting another finance deal for the XJ.

Oh, I plan to get finance for the XJ6. Couldn't afford it otherwise.

But I plan to have it at a relatively short term plan [16-18 months max], which would be straining my finances if I don't sell the YBR fast.

Short term, I could afford both. But to sell the YBR, I'd need to clear off the finance, which I wouldn't be able to do at the same time.

I mean, I could pay off the finance with this month's coming wage if needed - and sell it quickly - but I also don't want to be without a bike for any length of time (:

To be fair, I probably shouldn't have bought the YBR - got it a month before I sat my test, as I was just getting stupidly antsy for riding [and had planned to get a lot more road experience in].

I've loved my rides with it, but it's time to 'grow up' (:

[i could also SORN the YBR while I find a buyer for it, I guess, which would save me a little.]

Yes patience is a tricky bugger...! Ideally I wasn't planning on buying a new YBR, but the deal and ease of it all was good, plus I didn't want any hassle on my work commute to Leeds in the depths of winter. Some interesting roads over the Pennines at 5am in winter I can tell you!!

Do you already have plans for a different bike after the XJ in 16-18 months? Just out of interest.

If you *could* pay the YBR off with a months pay, then why don't you stick with it for a further couple of months? That way the weather will be better for an XJ, the YBR will be easier to sell and you'll have even less of a lump sum to part with. Easier said than done, I know!

• Like 1

No plans for a bigger bike after the XJ yet, I just want to get it off finance in a quick and affordable time frame.

I'm not one for going faster and faster, so I could see me keeping it for a number of years - barring accidents or me sucking at maintenance (:

[Hell, I kept my last car - a 1.4l - for almost 10 years, until repair costs became more expensive than the car. And I got a bike (: ]

I also miss friends up in Glasgow, and want to take a bike run up soon - and not on the YBR [that run's currently not happening due to poor weather]

And, paying it off now would mean I'd not be able to afford a deposit [unless I used a credit card] for a new bike for another month. Even though I do see the wisdom in waiting :/

I'm with Bippo on this mate, stick out with the YBR for now and pay the bugger off asap then go get your big boy bike otherwise your juggling with your money and that always ends in tears, plus you know that the YBR will net you £15 or £16 hundred which you can either pay off a lump of the new bike to reduce your finance or those oh so shiny bits we all want but can never justify buying for the new steed.

Defo Slice! How about aiming for the XJ around April / May? Really not far away and gives you a couple of months to sort the YBR. The good weather is only just making its way in and you'll have a riot blasting up to Glasgow on it!

Damn you sensible people!

When are bikers sensible?! We ride the roads with flammable liquid between our legs! ;)

I think I'll pay off the bike on Friday, then put it on the market.

Because, if I think about it, when it sells, that means I can then afford the deposit again... (:

I'll just need to suffer a short spell without a bike - unless I steal the housemate's ;)

I don't plan to stick with the same insurance, but I *think* might also have enough after to get insurance in a lump sum, rather than monthly payments.

That seems to be a best of both worlds

Trust me, I'm far from sensible when it comes to buying bikes, ha ha!

Sounds like you know what you want though, and you know your financial situation far better than us. So go for it and enjoy it!

Planning on getting a new or 2nd hand XJ? Are you going for the Diversion / F?

As Slice said... Once you get that, enjoy justifying spending copious amounts of your hard earned cash on farkles... Ha ha!

2nd hand for this one. I just know I'll drop the bugger within the first few weeks [hours?], and scratching brand new bodywork would make me cry.

And going for the XJ6N. I know fairings are great for faster travel, but I really don't like the look of them. I prefer naked all the way! :D

Getting second hand will also have lower insurance, and lower finance costs [at about £300 per month, I can clear it off in the 16-18 months]

Now, where is the best place to sell a second hand bike? Autotrader/eBay/gumtree?

Tempted to go for Autotrader first

Cool, well keep us posted on progress!

My bikes have been new so not really one to comment but when looking for cars Autotrader has served me well. Don't forget about MCN either.

Capt,

I'd try Facebook first. I've got some deals on there through the pages and its been positive for me.

Where are you getting the new bike from? P+O in Eccles have some stock and have a good rep at servicing bikes (esp Yams)

would it be cheaper to get a loan rather than finance as at least you'll own the bike rather than "borrow it" from the finance company?

anyway, It'll do you good to cycle to work for a few months and get fit for the season if you sell the YBR ;)

If I got a newish bike I think i'd go for the MT-01

Which facebook page(s) in particular? Obviously, I've put out word to friends I'll be selling it, but not sure of where else.

PO - whenever I've looked there, it's always been just scooters they have. I should really pop in again though, since it's literally a 5-10 min walk from my home. Online stock looks quite bare..

Never tried them for servicing [and I should get the bike serviced before I sell it, I think]

Loan vs Finance seems about even, but I did have that thought too - especially in regards to it being "mine" and being able to sell it off if needed.

I wonder if I'd be able to broker a better deal on the bike too if I can effectively pay it outright: check it out, slap a deposit down, sort out the loan and then pay the remainer...

One to ask, I guess.

I would go for ebay every time mate, only because that if you price it right it's gone in 7 days and that means you can get your new bike in that much less time than waiting around for a friend to come up with the money, which usually means they want a discount AND time to pay, "I don't get paid till next month" or some such nonsense.

Looking at sold listings for a similar year/mileage YBR, I'd be fleeced... they're going for ~£700-900. A dealership offered more than that O_o

I don't actually have friends that are learning right now to need to sell to them (:

Autotrader is looking the better option right now... possibly the better known for new people.

Looking at sold listings for a similar year/mileage YBR, I'd be fleeced... they're going for ~£700-900. A dealership offered more than that O_o

I don't actually have friends that are learning right now to need to sell to them (:

Autotrader is looking the better option right now... possibly the better known for new people.

Which facebook page(s) in particular? Obviously, I've put out word to friends I'll be selling it, but not sure of where else.

PO - whenever I've looked there, it's always been just scooters they have. I should really pop in again though, since it's literally a 5-10 min walk from my home. Online stock looks quite bare..

Never tried them for servicing [and I should get the bike serviced before I sell it, I think]

Loan vs Finance seems about even, but I did have that thought too - especially in regards to it being "mine" and being able to sell it off if needed.

I wonder if I'd be able to broker a better deal on the bike too if I can effectively pay it outright: check it out, slap a deposit down, sort out the loan and then pay the remainer...

One to ask, I guess.

try this One

https://www.facebook.com/groups/506768789355314/

TBH there are loads on facebook, just get a northwest one

We just bought a car and the cheapest route was a loan. 4%. Used a credit card to buy it (zero'd for the purpose) so we could shop around and barter etc. Then use the loan to pay the card.

No finance hassles. Clean process and i can pay it off as fast as i like.

That's a tempting option, especially since my own credit card is zero'd at the moment, with a high enough allowance for an XJ6.

Who was the loan with?

If it where me I'd wait, pay off the YBR and sell it priavtely, then but a new bike on finance, or save up and just outright buy it.

Also I'd get a supermoto, ultimate in parcticality, but you sem set on your XJ6s.