Squeaky back brake

J4M13H0LD5W0R7H
This post is 3484 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Oil it that will stop it squeaking !!! (only joking please don't oil it) As above really but have you tried taking the pads out and giving them a clean? or you can just gently rough them up with some sandpaper to take the shine off.

Can't remember if they are shoes or pads on your bike but either way the same principle applies.

Oh and if you rough them up remember to clean them before you rebuild them as old sandpaper can leave grit behind and f**k your discs or drums up.

Slice is right on the money. Had exactly the same problem with my YBR. I'm sure you will find that the brake shoes have picked up some crud. Just sandpaper them until they are clean. Also check that the inside face of the hub that the shoes bear on is also clean. Blow all the dust off everything before reassembling.I've still got a Haynes manual for the YBR so if you need walking through this them pm me

If your not comfortable with all thats involved with removing the brakes you can try just washing out the old dust,if there is a rubber inspection plug just pop it out and spray the garden hose in there,if not just loosen the axel and this will give you a bit of room to spray in there.

Just know that wet brakes dont work well so after go for a slow ride down the road and apply the brake lightly to dry them .If that dosen't work then you will have to pull them apart and do as above

If your not comfortable with all thats involved with removing the brakes you can try just washing out the old dust,if there is a rubber inspection plug just pop it out and spray the garden hose in there,if not just loosen the axel and this will give you a bit of room to spray in there.

Just know that wet brakes dont work well so after go for a slow ride down the road and apply the brake lightly to dry them .If that dosen't work then you will have to pull them apart and do as above

Or just ride through a river!!

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure the pads are free in the caliper. Apply a little copper grease, or better still, ceramic grease to the pad backplate sides and where the caliper body or where the piston contacts. Keep well away from the friction material obviously.