Yamaha xt 125 x problems running

Scott8155
This post is 3488 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys. I'm new to bikes and I've just bought my own 2010 model with 23000 miles on it. My dad is good with mechanics as he restores classic cars so he can help, however I wouldn't mind trying by myself first. So my problem: the bike starts after 3 kicks or so, and off the button when warm, however the battery sometimes makes a buzzing noise (needs replacing?). The bike needs some throttle to keep running and takes around 5 minutes of this to run alone. So my question is what can I do or check to improve this? So the bike will run better. Thanks in advance

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, sorry about the late response, I assumed the site would email me! My mistake. So I changed the battery, the old one was pretty much dead. I've gained some knowledge from reading and my girlfriends dad is good with bikes, just a very busy man. My thoughts are if the bike won't idle then this could mean the carb needs sorting? For now I have had to adjust the throttle cable in order to up the revs a little to keep the bike running till it's warm. Am I right in thinking the pilot air screw sorts the bike when at closed throttle/idling? However my adjustable screws on the carb are knackered, clearly been tinkered with before. The choke makes no difference. How would I go about checking the valves?

Thanks for your time

First of all mate, pick up a manual for the bike this will help now and in the future. How to's on you tube can also help (seeing it done rather than reading about it)

The air screw will adjust your mixture and the throttle stop will adjust the tick over

You need to know the valve clearances before adjusting them so once again a manual is recommended. Its great you want to do these things but get on to the gf's faither and get him to show you or keep you right. Get him a beer afterwards to show your appreciation and he'll be more willing to help out in the future

........... Am I right in thinking the pilot air screw sorts the bike when at closed throttle/idling? However my adjustable screws on the carb are knackered, clearly been tinkered with before. The choke makes no difference. How would I go about checking the valves?

Thanks for your time

Sure you should get a manual but I would think the problem is more likely fuel than valves.

Adjust the idle speed using the idle adjust screw, generally it's big screw and often has a knurled edge to grip between your finger and thumb...cant mistake it ;)

Clockwise to increase engine speed and you shouldnt have used the cable tension to achieve this, the cable needs a smidges of slack with the throttle closed

. The choke makes no difference.

Choke should stall the motor when warm :yeah: , and up the revs when cold, ,,,,choke jet blocked,,

Sounds like a carb clean is in order- albeit my bike is a 4T, I was having similar issues until I cleaned the carb. Just make sure you take pics at each stage so you know where to put bits back! I used a carb cleaner aerosol which worked a treat.

I had the same problem with my XT when starting in the mornings, had to give a wee bit of throttle until it was warmed up. Cleaned the carb, and adjusted the air mix screw a bit and this solved. Would definately recommend getting the haynes manual. Well worth the couple of quid it costs.

Thanks for your answers guys. I've looked for the Haynes manual and I did find one, however they only do the year previous model of my bike, will this make a huge difference? My gfs dad has some time off of work in 2/3 weeks and has agreed to take a look at my carb! Good news there. The two adjustable screws on my carb are knackered and can't be adjusted, so he has some for me if they do need tuning. Now for those of you that know about wiring, my speedo has stopped displaying speed, so I changed the speed sensor wire, but this didn't work. The wire did have a wire that was cut though, so it did need to be changed. Any ideas? Secondly; if I was to change the speedo how would I go about finding out what each wire does?(I have my dad to help with electrics, but I've agreed only to ask him when I really need to) the speedo has 14 wires coming from the back. So far I know what 11 may do, but don't know the colours. These are: neutral, high beam, dip beam, indicators, low fuel warning, speed sensor, odometer, power +, power -, earth, oil warning. So there's potentially 3 wires that I don't know the purpose of. The previous functions are what my speedo shows, so I guessed each wire must belong to each one?

Thanks for you time guys, I'm greatful for your help:)

Ah , time for good old trial and error on the mystery speedo wires . If they were cut the colours should still match up , no ? What's not working ? Haynes manuals are the message , local libraries here have'em and you can get them to order them in if they don't have the right one . Pity they don't have your year , although maybe there would be a lot of stuff in common with your bike ? Try to get a second hand manual as a guide , but don't take it as gospel .Best o' luck and fair play , you'll get there .

• 3 weeks later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online