Oil leak can anyone help me ?

HarleyJay
This post is 3531 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi I haven't had my dragstar for long but when I got it home I noticed underneath was slightly oily on the left hand side of the bike kinda near the side stand along the frame and surrounding areas. Cleaned it all down and had my first run on it today went about 20 miles or so, had a look under and again was fairly oily, doesn't seem to be the sump plug but appears to be coming from up higher in that area and spreading it around the lower areas. Can't quite see very well as the bikes too low to the ground.

Can anyone help with ideas as to what it could be ?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It could be something that should be posted in the workshop section. This is the bar section.

Chances are it is a seal.

• Like 1

Hi I haven't had my dragstar for long but when I got it home I noticed underneath was slightly oily on the left hand side of the bike kinda near the side stand along the frame and surrounding areas. Cleaned it all down and had my first run on it today went about 20 miles or so, had a look under and again was fairly oily, doesn't seem to be the sump plug but appears to be coming from up higher in that area and spreading it around the lower areas. Can't quite see very well as the bikes too low to the ground.

Can anyone help with ideas as to what it could be ?

stupid boy.......hahahahahahahahahaha

• Like 2

Hi there,

if the 125 is anything like the 650, your leak is most likely coming from the neutral switch assembly, either the switch itself or the O-ring has gone. It's located near the stand (at least on the 650 it is). Replace both. Cheap fix. Lean the right side of the bike against a wall or something and you won't even have to drain the oil. You'll just get a blob of it while replacing the switch. Best of luck.

stupid boy.......hahahahahahahahahaha

I saw this yesterday and it made me laugh too. My reputation goes before me :eusa_eh:

• Like 1

Hi there,

if the 125 is anything like the 650, your leak is most likely coming from the neutral switch assembly, either the switch itself or the O-ring has gone. It's located near the stand (at least on the 650 it is). Replace both. Cheap fix. Lean the right side of the bike against a wall or something and you won't even have to drain the oil. You'll just get a blob of it while replacing the switch. Best of luck.

That could be the leak actually, I'll have to have a look. It's definitely from that area as there's oil around the area near the side stand and on the bottom of the frame near that area.

Any idea where I'd get those parts from

Shifter shaft seals tend to be the most common leak from that area. Best to pull the cover off clean it up and run the bike on the side stand and see if you can see where it's leaking before you go ordering parts.

An Eskimo is out for a drive one day when his car breaks down and he is forced to call out the Alaskan AA. The Eskimo stands in the howling wind and waits for the mechanic to arrive. When the mechanic reaches the broken car, he sets to work, looking under the bonnet until he appears to have located the problem. He looks up at the Eskimo and says, "You've blown a seal, mate." To which the Eskimo hastily replies, "No, I haven't. That's just frost on my moustache."

• Like 1

I also have a very small leak from around the same area, still haven't pinned it down yet though as its very slight, pea size dot on the floor when its hot after a ride.

I also have a very small leak from around the same area, still haven't pinned it down yet though as its very slight, pea size dot on the floor when its hot after a ride.

Yep, neutral switch mate. Easy and cheap to fix.

http://ziariderblog.com/2012/02/v-star-650-neutral-switch-oil-leak-fix/

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online