Tips for ybr125 pulling away at junctions??

Swift1
This post is 2792 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Any tips greatly received, my first few hundred miles I had no problems then yesterday bike playing up thinking I was in gear and wasn't as light wasn't on and then stalling etc!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Just to clarify, do you mean that the Neutral light does NOT illuminate when you are in neutral or that it stays illuminated when you have a gear selected ?

Its something that happens.

Your new to motorcycles, initially pulling away was a big thing. Now a little way down the learning curve its dropped on you priority list. Started that 'automatic' stage where your fingers know what to do.

Problem being your still learning and your brain still hasnt made all the actions link up and it gets it wrong. Its annoying but it will pass.

I'm 99 per cent certain your bike is fine and you will find the prob goes away on its own. Just dont obsess about it.

Never rely on the neutral light. Always release the clutch slowly even if you think you are not in gear. False neutrals are common in motorcycle gearboxes.

Tips for pulling away? Practice.

Make sure youi give the gear leaver a good love tap when going from neutral to 1st, i dont mean stamp on the git just a nice firm press so that "you" know its in gear, feel for that nice clunk feeling when she slides in.

Apart from that id say the same as the other guys above, just loads of practice and judge your gaps in traffic to give you plenty of time to get out with out stalling.Also remember that 125's dont have much grunt so need a bit more revving to get going which should stop her cutting out on you

Yes as above, REV IT - STAMP ON IT and then FORGET ABOUT IT. :shakeno::biglaugha:

• Like 1

No No No, not like that Slice, i dont mean rag the bollocks off it, but on my 125 and even in the cage if your gental with it it can feel like its in gear and the idiot light goes off but in fact the gears aren't fully ingaged so have to go back into neutral then be a bit firmer with the lever. again i dont mean jumping on it or giving it the ol' landon kicking job just a firmer foot.

What everyone above is saying is correct - practice. What I've also learned is that gearboxes on little bikes like that aren't as refined as bigger bikes, so once you take your full test this will become very apparent!

However, as an aside it is documented on the net (and even on old threads in this forum) that YBR users have had similar issues as you've described. Even me. I don't really see this question for other 125's or even geared 50's - so don't beat yourself up too much, as there must be *something* quirky with the bike. Sure some of the seasoned professionals on here will disagree with that, but it's just my personal view.

Here are a few pointers to consider (based on my experience with the YBR):

- mine was bought new and the gearbox only settled after the initial service which is just an oil change. Honestly the bike was so completely different and suddenly the 2nd gear issue disappeared. If you bought yours second hand, it may be that the initial service wasn't done; some folk don't look after these little bikes. A different oil is used you see.

- if you let the chain get a little too slack, getting it into second can be a pig - so check that as per the manual.

- as said by others, it could be technique, but also consider the fact it has a simple gearbox so will require a more conscious effort. Definitely practice your shifting.

- if all else fails, I noticed mine would glide into second if I wound it up to 7000rpm. Honestly, it was such a smooth change. Any more or less and it would play up.

Hope that contains some useful info...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Am still quiet new to the motorbike world and have a 08 YBR125,

I have noticed that knocking down the gears as you come to a stop but while your still rolling makes getting it into 1st alot easier, you will get used to what gears are ok to change down at what speed without jerking bike

But never try and change more than 2 gears at a time without releasing clutch as it will just jam up and leave you stuck as i found out when i did my cbt when it jammed in gear and wouldn't do anything on road ride

Unless am at a set of level crossings or stuck for a while i just tend to hole it on clutch in 1st as finding neutral can be abit awkward,

If your unsure if your in 1st at junction just release clutch lever abit while you have your foot on back brake and if bike trys to move then its in first, if it just trys to stall its still in 2nd,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Another check for first (on my YBR at least) is that if you try to change down again, the lever doesn't move. I was reading an article on emergency braking and it said about shifting into first during the process (not clutching each gear, just getting the bike into first as you slow) and it read something like "How many times should you press the lever? Depending on what gear you were in, around 13 will do"

It's still good to check with a little pressure on the clutch, as sometimes you may be at the 1st gear stopper, and it can 'hop' back into neutral, or from neutral into gear. 

As an aside to help avoid catching neutral you can preload the shifter slightly before the gear change. Pop your toe under and give the lever a slight upwards pressure, then clutch and make the change. It can make your shifts a bit smoother in the other gears too. 

Don't know if you noticed Nic but this post is 2 years old, think he's got it by now!!! Check the post date before you reply mate these old posts are a good reference but can catch folks out.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online