New To the Club!

This post is 3667 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there,

Just a quick post to introduce myself. I have owned a Yamaha XVS 125 Drag star for 2 years. It has been in storage for a year now but i have got it back out and into a motorcycle garage to get it up and running again (hopefully good to go by tonight).

I've signed up to the sight for a few reasons: Help with any mechanical issues, To give the benefit of my limited experience to whomever wants it and to get a bit of inspiration for modding the bike.

On the 1st reason i would like to ask if anyone has access to a electronic version of a workshop manual for an XVS 125 Drag star? Once i get it back from the garage i would like to keep on top of keeping it maintain and from what i have read the workshop manuals are the best and most detailed?

On the last reason, if anyone has some good examples of modded XVS 125's i would love to see them! Also people who are currently working on projects for that bike specifically i would love to see the progress! If anyone has any good sites to get nice modification accessories for and xvs 125 please share.

Many Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi and welcome to the YOC, nice to hear your back on the road and the XVS is a nice little bike, as for the workshop manual you can get PDF files off of the net but we can't tell you where as they are copyrighted and that's not a place any of us want to go to (sorry about that) quite a few owners on here so if you have questions then ask and hope for the best. :jossun:

:welcome:

Thanks for the Replies!

Quick question, im looking for a nicer sounding exhaust for my dragstar, i know its only a 125 but ive no intention of going for my liscence over the next 12 months so i'm not going to be getting a bigger bike anytime soon, so im looking around the net trying to find out info and i keep seeing these highway hawk guys pop up. they seem pretty expensive however there are a couple of second hand highway hawk pipes for a 650 dragstar on ebay that seem reasonable, will they fit my 125 or will i need to get pipes made for the 125?

(ok not so quick question) :-)

there are a couple of second hand highway hawk pipes for a 650 dragstar on ebay that seem reasonable, will they fit my 125 or will i need to get pipes made for the 125?

Quick answer - No.

There aren't than many mods for the 125 and TBH, I'd advise keeping it stock standard unless you plan to ride the bike forever. Modding 125s decreases their resale value generally and IMO modded pipes just make it sound worse. You can drill the pipes for a *slightly* better sound, but it's not worth it IMO.

You might be OK running it on straight-throughs, but that will require some messing with the carbs, rejetting and so on. You have precious little grunt on the Baby Drag as is, so I'd advise staying stock.

It will usually just sound loud rather than better.

If you want a proper meatier sound, you'll really only get that on a bigger bike. The 650 can sound pretty damn wicked but even then it lacks just the little bit of extra bass I wanted to really kick it with the bigger boys.

Thanks Ttaskmaster, I have read about the hole drilling mod but not comfortable doing that, i think it would mess with the performance. I think your right, will just have to wait for a bigger bike. I just seen some of the Bobber conversions on the 125s on youtube and thought they looked and sounded amazing!

This one in particular: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ouatq00ByMM

Just wish there was an easy, cost conscious way of doing it! lol.

One may quite reasonably argue that your 125 experiences (the naff sound, the high insurance, the low performance, the jibes and jokes, the L-Plate Haters, etc) are all just part of 'paying your dues' for when you are a full-time biker on a proper big bike, and all...

One may quite reasonably argue that your 125 experiences (the naff sound, the high insurance, the low performance, the jibes and jokes, the L-Plate Haters, etc) are all just part of 'paying your dues' for when you are a full-time biker on a proper big bike, and all...

Which will make eventually getting a bigger bike all the sweeter I suppose....

Which will make eventually getting a bigger bike all the sweeter I suppose....

Fuck, YEAH!!!!! :D