Mini Project XS 400 DOHC

Tommy xs
This post is 3734 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Yeah I was going to suggest pouring a small amout of rust treatment.

On my pipes I just give them a good WD and wipedown after ever use. Nothing much just bought a special microfibre cloth that I only use for that pipe. It's now caked in oil so I just wipe the pipe with it after use and it keeps it clean and protected.

I hear ACF50 is good for this.

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Love the look of them pipes Tommy, very sexy. Cant comment on how to treat them inside tho as never done it or heard about doing it, but out of the options given by the YOC gods i think a nice dollop of High temp paint would do the trick and i "think" the Halfords VHT paint has a 5-8 year garentee??? but dont quote me on it. Hammerite direct to rust paint or even hammerite red oxide paint definatly has a 8 year garentee on it. ;)

Love the look of them pipes Tommy, very sexy. Cant comment on how to treat them inside tho as never done it or heard about doing it, but out of the options given by the YOC gods i think a nice dollop of High temp paint would do the trick and i "think" the Halfords VHT paint has a 5-8 year garentee??? but dont quote me on it. Hammerite direct to rust paint or even hammerite red oxide paint definatly has a 8 year garentee on it. ;)

Decisions decisions! the Yama Gods have spoken, but which is best!

OK I managed to get exhaust off after a battle with an awkward stud & removed the back wheel & give underside another clean

I'll be back out there again in a bit. got the tyre's today,I think I should have gone for wider' well I'll know better next time, these will have to do for now. I'm still waiting for tyre levers to arrive, hopefully they'll be here tomorrow still got plenty to get on with anyway. still have to remove the carbs for cleaning will do that in the morning while mrs xs is in work as just removing them fills the house full of fumes as my garage is attached to the house

I used two fat screw drivers for trye levers :eusa_whistle:

I used two fat screw drivers for trye levers :eusa_whistle:

oh yes I remember that thread hilarious! won't be trying that on alloy rims, I was looking on youtube last night & saw a few clips of people using cable ties

and as my tyre levers still haven't turned up i thought I would give it a go, it was lot of messing about trying to feed them though cos' all the clips on youtube were done on tubeless tyres, anyway it actually works & with no tools so far only got rear tyre off. apparently you can use same method to fit as well but don't think it will work on tubed tyres for fitting & don't fancy deforming my new tyres before I even fit them.

Those exhausts look sweet! And can recommend the Avon tires, I've got some on my dt and they're just good as the Pirelli's I had before.

Nearly bid on an xs last week, what year is yours?

This is an 82 completely different bike to earlier models will post some pic's tomorrow when I get the wheels back on and push it out the garage. finding it hard to get exhaust joint's for the crossover found some but I need three and the're £15 each this is really turning out to be exspensive but I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end

Yeah that sounds steep, but it's always nice to go back to original setup, especially if you want that sound back!

• Like 1

Sorry no pics again today, still not sorted rear tyre out so haven't got wheel back on yet decided to drop the oil tonight but couldn't warm the engine up first so anyway took out sump bolt the filter & cover but after about 20 mins' there was still less than a pint of oil out.

so decided to take off the oil strainer plate, six allen bolts no problem but plate still didn't won't to move, so give it a tap with a screw driver opened like a trap door like it came away on one side so I found the rest of the oil! its all over my garage floor it came out sideways and missed the container. so cleaned it all up and left it to drain overnight. I've ordered the exhaust flange/gasket thingies

and should get them thurs/fri will fit rear tyre tomorrow.

Sorry no pics again today, still not sorted rear tyre out so haven't got wheel back on yet decided to drop the oil tonight but couldn't warm the engine up first so anyway took out sump bolt the filter & cover but after about 20 mins' there was still less than a pint of oil out.

so decided to take off the oil strainer plate, six allen bolts no problem but plate still didn't won't to move, so give it a tap with a screw driver opened like a trap door like it came away on one side so I found the rest of the oil! its all over my garage floor it came out sideways and missed the container. so cleaned it all up and left it to drain overnight. I've ordered the exhaust flange/gasket thingies

and should get them thurs/fri will fit rear tyre tomorrow.

that wasn't good!

make sure all the oil ways are clear then Tommy I would clean the mesh oil strainer too.

that wasn't good!

make sure all the oil ways are clear then Tommy I would clean the mesh oil strainer too.

Lookin into that Drew, been busy decorating son's room today will get out in garage in a bit for a couple of hours

that wasn't good!

All clear! I really must have been tired the other night I hadn't removed the sump plug for some reason, my mind was telling me the bolt for the filter was the sump plug they are right next to each other but that's no excuse just plain stupid anyhow I need a new gasket for the strainer plate as it's started leaking after I'd done the oil change ordered one with a few other bits last night from Fowlers also bought 1 new fork stanchion for only £30 off ebay but that's for future use found another on Wemoto for £120

but can't justify the the funds at the moment. all the little bits I've been buying are adding up and need to save some money for my Scotland trip.

got my bike back together tonight so far cleaned the carbs fitted new HT leads which bye the way are real pain to fit on my bike as the coils are tucked right up inside the backbone of the frame, getting them out was easy but getting them back in was a nightmare

changed the rear tyre still got to do the front one but the tyre on there is almost new so no real hurry though, will do it soon so I have a paired set on. Changed oil and filter also had to change oil filter cover as original one was damaged lucky i had a spare one off another motor I have finally got the exhaust gaskets today and fitted the new exhaust. I haven't started her since I cleaned the carbs last week will have a go in the morning as I didn't finish it after 11 tonight

make sure the carbs are drained after firing up or your back to square one

already back to square one mate, not cured the problem beginning to wonder if it is the carbs after all, will try new spark plugs next but the ones I have in have only done around 3K, maybe also try switching the CDI from my other bike

first the good news my bike is running fine again & it was an easy fix (cdi) now the bad news I need another Cdi for my other bike I had 3 units turns out only one good one, I bought one off ebay a while ago very cheap now I know why! its useless the bike won't even start with that one in well they said untested guess you take your chances on something like that I'm not going to bother finding another till I start working on it and don't know when that will be, its been standing for about 4 years now maybe someone would like to swop me for a 2t. :spin2:

• Like 1

Tommy

As I keep boring everyone with over on elvis' thread. My boys old SR went through 3 cdi units. The problem being was that I was buying them from breakers yards so was replacing a 20 odd year old part with another of the same age. If you could pick up a new one, expensive I know, that will last you another 20 odd years, and as you have 2 xs' then you can chop and change between them