changing my head lamp bulb

mcnamara1710
This post is 3783 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

With 8v at the battery at idle I would hold off on that bulb as it may last as little as minutes. Sort the voltage issue first.

I have 6v bulb on it that works fine.just my high beam has gone.what do i have to do ref to the voltage issue guys.when i bought the bike i rode it for 3 wks no problem and when i came to check the battery it was a 12v.i was told to change to 6v as that was the correct battery for the model of bike.

I have 6v bulb on it that works fine.just my high beam has gone.what do i have to do ref to the voltage issue guys.when i bought the bike i rode it for 3 wks no problem and when i came to check the battery it was a 12v.i was told to change to 6v as that was the correct battery for the model of bike.

well like has been said, you'll cook a 6v battery in no time (keep an eye on the cell fluid levels)

Check if your bike has a regulator and that it looks ok...hasnt become disconnected etc

Time and again we seem to come back to charging issues on theses old single cylinder yamahas, I see some of them make no reference at all to a VOLTAGE REGULATOR, but they have a VOLTAGE RECTIFIER.

Then I see that the RECTIFIER has a sturdy bolt fixing and 'COOLING FINS' !!!?

Why? why does it have cooling fins if it's only a rectifier?

Because maybe, just maybe it is more than just a rectifier...maybe it's a regulator/rectifier (reg/rec)...regulators need cooling fins.

I wish someone would get to the bottom of this issue!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-DT125LC-RSX100-Rectifier-/380765719622?ViewItem=&item=380765719622&nma=true&si=CzRQzZZ1CJrmFwwiRMDLxFKhnac%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557#ht_22wt_958

Its about time you had that haynes book fella ;)

Hi airhead yes i have a rectifier just like the one you have posted,it sits on the frame under my tank.this is brand new.the guys on here said to buy a new one.also what you say about battery levels,my battery is 3 months old and have noticed my levels have dipped to min level in that time.when i say my high beam has blown,my main beam is fine but when i turn on my high beam,there is a delay and my high beams comes on but with no effect can't see passed my nose.so back to main beam i go.

Hi airhead yes i have a rectifier just like the one you have posted,it sits on the frame under my tank.this is brand new.the guys on here said to buy a new one.also what you say about battery levels,my battery is 3 months old and have noticed my levels have dipped to min level in that time.when i say my high beam has blown,my main beam is fine but when i turn on my high beam,there is a delay and my high beams comes on but with no effect can't see passed my nose.so back to main beam i go.

Get youself some de-ionised water from a car parts shop and keep on top of the levels in your cells

I wish you'd use the terms Dipped and Main, your comments are a little confusing!

Perhaps your headlamp is pointing to far skyward?, try loosening the bolts and adjusting the tilt down a little

I'd still like to know if these devices are regulators because they have screw fixing, metal body and cooling fins !

Get youself some de-ionised water from a car parts shop and keep on top of the levels in your cells

I wish you'd use the terms Dipped and Main, your comments are a little confusing!

Perhaps your headlamp is pointing to far skyward?, try loosening the bolts and adjusting the tilt down a little

I'd still like to know if these devices are regulators because they have screw fixing, metal body and cooling fins !

Sorry airhead,will do with levels in my battery top them up.in main beam i havve pointed it at a wall and moves about an inch above dipped beam level.but it is very dull for sure compared to my dipped beam so unsure.but i know these models use dinamo too,when i use dipped beam in idle mode more i rev brighter my beam.also unsure if it is a 12v why when i bought it it didn't blow my bulbs,have looked at my indecator bulbs they are 6v.had no problems when i drove it on 12v at all confused much lol.

Did you see the other post on 6-12 volt conversion,,,,, get a meter on a connection, tell us what it reads,,, :eusa_doh:

As usual with 6v systems and looking at the wiring diagram, it appears that there is no regulator for the DC on an RXS100. The battery does that itself. This is not good for battery life but you need to keep a check on the acid level. The head lights, tail lights and instrument lights are all run direct from the alternator. You will notice they do not work unless the engine is running. Indicators, neurtral light, and horn need DC so run from the battery. The system is pretty much balanced so if you change the wattage of any light or add some electrical device you will upset that balance and thae electrics will not work as they should. The headlight did blow a bit too regular on my previous bikes as the voltage was up and down depending on revs. Batteries did not last long as I rarely checked them.

I did look a bit hi tec for me i think lol,yes confused with my main beam for sure.i topped up my battery today and charged it up so all good i hope.right you say to check voltage on a connection,tell me how and where to do it and i will and ket you know.very neewbie as you can see sorry guys.

Like I said I see nothing wrong with your electrics. There is no regulator so voltage will depend on revs and current drawn. If the battery is charged, very little current will be drawn and voltage will be around 7.2 to 7.5 volts. Depending on your meter and range you could read anything from 7 to 8 volts. Put the same rated globe back in and things should be fine.

Fill77 I will see what happens,but something is wrong as my main beam just glows like a match when I switch it on.can't see anything on the road at all.where I work have to ride 8 miles through lanes so ride always on dip beam.if that ever blew I would be stuffed.as for yellow wire on headlamp will have a go and see what volts are going through hat

Don't expect to see DC voltage at the headlight. It should be AC and vary considerably with revs.

Get a short length of wire, attach one end to the +ve battery terminal, hold the headlight bulb metal casing to the -ve terminal.

then touch each of the bulb contacts with the wire end.

The dip and beam filaments will glow with equal brightness, proving the bulb is OK.

If both filaments are working then YOU know by elimination it is the circuit of the main beam which has the problem.

A likely source of the problem is the electrical contacts within the light switch, which selects dip or beam.

You see it is one power wire from the battery which is diverted to either the dip or beam filament within the switch.

Dirty contacts within the switch prevent the current flowing, thats what Airhead is suggesting to you.

bat.gif

Testing the bulb as above will confirm the bulb is in good order.

• Like 2

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online