Securely locking your bike

doodlefool
This post is 3820 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys,

I finally got my motorbike delivered about an hour ago ( :hyper: ) but my main stress at the moment is securely locking it.

I live in a closed compound with an onsite car park (with a ramp road block system), and I am parking my bike in my bay, but there's nothing to lock my bike to to secure it, and the disc lock I have for it doesn't fit through the front disc either (I have the Fahgettabout chain and that D lock doesn't go through it either). So at the moment, the only peace of mind I've got is a chain going around it, that doesn't actually lock to anything.

I've asked if I can park it next to a lamppost to secure it, but my car park is patrolled by wardens, who have said that I will get a ticket if I park outside of my bay. The logical choice is to install a ground anchor, but because I rent, I don't know if my landlord will allow, and how much they will charge to put one in.

I was also thinking of parking it outside my compound to a sturdy fence next to CCTV/busy walkway, but I don't know if that's any safer (I saw a car in the carpark opposite with a smashed window).

How is the best way to lock my bike up in this situation? I know a determined thief will get my bike if they want it, I just want to make it really difficult for them, I'm going to cover it and I'm thinking about removing the clutch cable and spark plug, but even so, it can still be lifted into a van.

Has anyone got any advice, and can anyone recommend any good alarmed disc locks? (I was looking at the Oxford Boss, not sure how good it is).

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Covering it is good.

Chaining it to something immovable, with the high quality chain off the ground is indeed the best bet.

Xena do nice alarmed disclocks.

You can also fit an alarm yourself (or have it done by someone professional).

Immobs just stop people from keying it. Alarms let YOU know someone is messing so you can get out there (weapon optional).

End of the day, as you say, if they REALLY want it, they will have it... but that is what your insurance is for.

Motrax do a ground anchor that is Thatcham approved, it costs about £60 tho but it is only small and you can park over it in a car try here http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/58493 it's at least a start to your peace of mind.

I use three good quality heavy duty chains and padlocks. I chain the the frame and both wheels to a metal fence. I have two disc locks and an an alarm. The problem is if they want it they will get it no matter what, all we can do is deter them or slow them down.

You need to install anchor quick time.

ask your landlord if you can install a ground anchor, also in your situation (parking outside of the road) is good to have an alarm system with proximity sensor (is some nice radio controlled over 5.000 m range... you will receive on a pager a message if is something wrong with your bike) also some people use to keep the bikes in house, your bike is small, so easy to keep inside. also this will lower your insurance. anyway, a determined thief will take your bike, no matter what security systems you put on your bike. BUT, because your bike is a 125, easy bike and low value, I guess you will have problems just with young bastards so, an alarm with proximity sensor and a ground anchor is enough.

Thanks for all your tips. I think I've managed to find a short term viable solution - the pipe/column which I thought was flimsy plastic next to my parking space is actually made of strong metal. Could take a hefty hacksaw to it, but you could take a heft hacksaw to anything. I've used one of my gold rated bicycle locks to lock the front disc as a short term solution, while I get a disc lock delivered.

I'm looking at Xena alarmed disc locks, do you know if they fit all bikes? Is there any good reviews anywhere/which model would people recommend?

Thank you all.

The Oxford Boss disc lock alarm is Thatcham Approved. Has the double bonus of (hopefully) reducing your insurance and letting you know when you're just about to try and ride off with the disc lock on! Even if you can't fit the lock to your brake disc, you can use it as a padlock for a chain with the same effect. If you're just buying a chain without a lock, try a cycle shop, they're often cheaper than a motorcycle shop :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online