Home made screen?

steph g
This post is 3897 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Has anyone ever made their own screen?

I work for a sign company and have access to all the materials and equipment I think I'd need to make one up.

It's for my dragstar 125.

Any pointers?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Not sure about this? But was thinking that it would have to comply with some sort of British Standard and safety standards, might not of course but you should probably check if you need to think about any of these things, you don't want to find that you spend all the time to make something and then it's not the right materials. Or even that it's dangerous, sure you can find something on EBAY that will be cheap enough rather than go to the trouble of making your own?? Unless of course you just want to find out if you CAN do it which is more fun and you have the satisfaction of knowing you got exactly what you want at half the price of buying someone else's idea of what you want. Can't hurt to try anyway.

Just my 2p but..................................... WHY FIT A SCREEN!? scared of a few bugs in your teeth? the reason most people ride a bike is to munch on a nice fat blue bottle and fell the diesel fuel in your face! if you want a screen buy a cage.

But on i nicer note, hand making things is cool and i hope it goes well for you.....................but man up for christ sakes :biglaugha::eusa_whistle:

Oi !!!! I have a screen, it's not the odd blue bottle that worries me it's the wasps and thumb sized bumble bees that I want to avoid. Oh yeah and I'm OLD!!!!!

:razz:

I admit it...I'm wimp! Used to have a screen on my old suzuki and it made a hell of a difference riding during the winter.
Would have it off the rest of the year but the Scottish winters can get bloody cold.
I have a ready supply of high grade polycarb, the right stuff - I checked.
I like making as much as I can myself (not tight, just skint!). Just finished making my solo back rest and solo rack (the wife wont get on the bike) and got the notion to do the screen as well. Have checked ebay but your still talking a ton for cheap screen. After that the bikes getting vinyl wrapped. Can't help customising.

Share pictures of your creations, would be good to see them and may well help others!

I'll upload some tomorrow. I have a cnc router and metal shaping machines at work, as well as a few fellas in the workshop that owe me a few favours :D.

The problem is that when I see something I'm always wondering if I can do it myself.

Recently converted a cheap set of sling over leather panniers to ridged back ones bolted to the side of the bike with a few off cuts of black ali.

Here's a few pics that I took this morning. Shows the back rest, solo rack and rigged panniers.
The rack and shaped metal chair back (not shown) are going to the powder coaters shortly. I'm sneaking them in with another job. The panniers still need a little tidy but they are solid once on.
A bit of tweaking is always going on with things though.

2013-08-28081730_zps569b0801.jpg

2013-08-28081744_zps1f6771a8.jpg

2013-08-28081738_zps866c7658.jpg

The rear rack looks good on there, but the back rest looks poo. Thats just me tho so hopefully you wont get disheartened im the type that rips every useless bit of crap off my bike id ride without handle bars if i could ha ha

Mmmm, no handlebars.... Move the foot pegs to the front wheel axle and just steer from there, could be interesting.

Diving with your feet sounds just plain scary. Once had a boss that drove with his knees whilst on the phone. Needless to say he rolled his car.
I agree with you about the back rest but that was my first attempt at one. The next one will be better. :spin2: Got a bundle of the material left and an idea in my head. It's going to match the rack.
Stripping back isn't my thing. It's all about comfort & convenience for me. If I can cart a load back from the supermarket on the thing then it's perfect.
Don't care if a few extra Kg's slow me a little since I drive like a Granny anyway.

Heres a few pics of my good old trustey gn250 winter hack

i know its not prity but it gives you an idea

theyve been on bike for two years with no problems

i also live up north and gets very cold in winter

no trickle charges in my garage

rain snow ice of to work i go

your mods look great by the way

another page i keep going back to

you might find intresting

www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?s=ebc4de397615470565392f69d943b799&t=440464

Photo2034.jpgvPhoto2035.jpg

Photo2037.jpg

I like it. Looks like it would take a bomb to the front and still stand.
Love the link. Some ingenious bits of work on there. It's like the A-team on their. A cabbage and a pipe and they've got a new bike!!!
It does seem that duct tape can fix everything. Nice to know that I'm not the only one that thinks this.
I'm pretty much heading down the tank look for winter driving.

Last year was a nightmare but with the trains constantly getting cancelled it was either bike it or walk for miles in the snow and wind.
Can't afford 4 wheels as well as 2 so the 2 won.

Just my 2p but..................................... WHY FIT A SCREEN!? scared of a few bugs in your teeth? the reason most people ride a bike is to munch on a nice fat blue bottle and fell the diesel fuel in your face! if you want a screen buy a cage.

because riding during the winter is a pain with no shields, because I prefer to take a stone, a branch, or a seagull in windshield not in face, because i was forced to exit from motorway after 20 miles in a windy day, my neck muscle was broken, because you get less noise and you will enjoy your engine sound, because a cruiser look better with a windshield, because is a bit hard to ride with a hamburger or a mc donald bag stuck on your visor at 80 m/h and not the last, because people had diferent opinions about riding :)

that`s what my reasons for fitting a windshield.

about homemade windshield for cruisers, I think is a bad idea to make home windshields and helmets. ofcourse you can do this but is worth? first, you will lose the cool looking battle, also the safety battle. and if you make a mistake and you need to buy another materials, you will also lose the finance battle. i guess a windshield for xvs125 will not cost you more than 150 pounds included the shipping

Bit the bullet and ebayed myself a screen. £40 used. Looks ok and will do for the time being.
Mark 2 back rest is getting started next week. Making it a little lower and wider to hug the top of the seat.

Lallasro, yep I do agree with you with the whole winter wind thing, but I still thing screens look silly along with saddle bags, back rests, tassels, studs, viragos etc etc lol.

When riding in the cold I stick on an extra layer and grit my teeth, as for the wind and rain.....i just get wet ha ha.

And with the random maccy D flying bag, just turn my head or pull it off ha ha

I've got everything but the tassles on mine!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online