e-petition for fairer motorcycle tax

atocp
This post is 3933 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I don't know if anyone has seen this, or if it's been posted about, but found it quite interesting, if a little thin on information.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/48869

Anyone got any thoughts on it?

Bring Motorcycle road tax inline with that of cars

Responsible department: Department for Transport

Cars pay road tax on based on the emissions.

Motorcycles pay road tax based on their CC

For most motorcycles, if they were cars, they'd pay no tax whatsoever...

... but as Motorcycle's are still taxed based on the old method of judging their CC, motorcycles over 600cc pay £78 a year.

So a Toyota Aygo or Citreon C1, a tax class B car, pays just £20 a year, producing 139gm of Co2...

....but a Honda VFR making just 16.5g of CO2, pays £78 a year, nearly 4 times as much.

Motorcycles take up next to no room, are far less emitting than cars, cause far less wear/tear on the road surfaces and reduce traffic.

It's about time this fundamental unfairness was addressed, and motorcycle tax based on emission on the same basis as cars.

It is either discrimination against motorcyclists, or blatant milking of us for financial benefit.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Signed it,

I do agree with this 100% but i don't think any thing will happen with it as the last part of the quote is what they are doing it is due to the money and if they did tax us on the emissions they look at how much dosh they will lose. (even tho i cant see where they use our road tax money as the roads are still in a shit state)

It's been tried so many times but no one will ever listen.

Things to remember:

Motorcycles are dirty, dangerous, smelly vehicles ridden by unwashed and uneducated people who have criminal tendencies - at best.

Someone has to pay for the eco, tree hugging people so it may as well be us.

Next time you get a contemptuous look from a driver who is really too old to still be safe behind the wheel, just smile as you are subsidising them to go onto the roads and cause havoc. I get scared at work on a daily basis by some geriatric who shouldn't be at the wheel.

Remember the golden rule:

If the driver is wearing a hat of any kind keep away from them.

Some examples:

Baseball cap (either way around) - boy/girl racer

Flat cap - Centenarian who can't see and whose reflexes are slow. Likely to stop suddenly without warning as always lost.

Floppy Sunday best hat - Old granny who learned to drive in the war. Drives as though it is still 1945 and smiles a lot.

Stocking mask - Cash in transit robber making a getaway.

Remember the golden rule:

If the driver is wearing a hat of any kind keep away from them.

Deer stalker hat - ....Watch out, horses startle easily.

I agree, I don't think anything will get done when it is down to money. I also don't think it helps the cause being taken seriously when he petition creator writes "It is either discrimination against motorcyclists, or blatant milking of us for financial benefit". That cries out "I've had a few to drink and I'm angry with something. Screw the man, screw him good."

But it would be nice to see it at least get enough signatories to be looked at, even if we are all unclean criminals.

Signed by me too...they will just blame it on the other emissions a bike produces tho..

What if you ride a 2/? Well be paying a fourtune because of emmisions and im not complaining when i pay 16 pound a year! Lol

I just came here to post this - good to see we're already on the ball ;)

Signed

Signed it, pointless really but it's only when you stop that they know they have won.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online