Flooding

YamYamMan
This post is 3967 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guy's

Never posted before but found a lot of useful advice on the forum.

Anyway, I recently changed the main jet on my dt 125 (up from a 230 to a 250) now it just keeps flooding at idle, runs fine when being revved but every time it drops bellow about 2500rpm it just floods and cuts out.

Does the main jet have any bearing on the idle? I personally didn't think it would as I thought the idle jet would take care of the idle, or am I just stupid lol

Any help would be much appreciated

Wade

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Might need to adjust the mixture screw as you're probably now getting more fuel, so need more air to compensate.

Mixture screw should be around 1 1/2 turns out from fully in, to richen up turn right or clock wise, to lean off turn anti clockwise or left,

so that's right = rich, left =lean.

Thanks Nev, just adjusted the mixture screw and it was set about 2 1/4 turns out so I brought it out 1 1/2 as u said and it ran way better so I took it for a run and it still kept trying to die, then I turned it back in 1/4 of a turn and it seems nice now, just gotta check the plug colour.

Thanks again

Remember too that you can raise or lower the needle to make it richer or leaner, plus check your air filter make sure its clean,, and has been primed with oil, I personally use 2t oil to prime mine. btw it shouldn't be wringing wet with oil, just moist.

Its running sweet as a nut now, thanks for the help, plugs a nice chocolatey brown and air filters only a couple of months old, I used castrol air filter oil on it (the really sticky stuff) and its still like brand new

Sorted then, nice one

Good you"v got sorted, the main jet has no bearing on low engine speed. only wide open throttle. pilot jet & air screw determine idle and first 1/4 of throttle opening,, :thumb:

Cheers mate, your a star

That's what this forum is all about YYM. See we don't even discriminate against the black country.

No doubt I will get a few comments about that remark.

That's what I thought to be honest blackhat but I've never had to touch a mixture screw before so hadn't got a clue what to do with it lol

I quite liked the Black Country comment Mark but I could see others taking it the wrong way...........oh we'll you can't please them all lol