a 550cc on a cbt

mark 88
This post is 3979 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi all not so long ago i rebuilt an xt 550 with the hope of passing my test and hitting the road with it. the snag was me and my lass got our first place together, and by god you learn the true meaning of money. and as i cant afford the lessons i already have a cbt i was thinking of restricting the bike down to 33 bhp. can any one give me any advice as how to go about this particularly how much the insurance would be i can imagine it would be pretty steep. thanks very much

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You should check with dvla or an approved office as i think the xt550 is under the hp limits. Its only 38hp thats well under 35kw.

You might be just peachy as is.

You can only ride a 125 on cbr.

Ah forgive my oldtimeritus.

I thought from asking about restricting the xt he was just restricted.

I still dont think the xt needs restricting though and that was the question....

Wasnt it?

it was yeah if the 550 is already low enough on bhp in its unrestricted form thats a great start. ive seen it done before every now and again Id bump into a bloke out on the green lanes he was on a crf 250 road legal with all the L plates slapped on it. I dont see him much now since a car killed my dtr 125 but he said that you restrict the bike then get it to the dyno, they give you a certificate saying its below 30kw, you show it to the insurance and job is a good.

(then take the restriction STRAIGHT BACK OUT !!!!) Then burn rubber.

it was yeah if the 550 is already low enough on bhp in its unrestricted form thats a great start. ive seen it done before every now and again Id bump into a bloke out on the green lanes he was on a crf 250 road legal with all the L plates slapped on it. I dont see him much now since a car killed my dtr 125 but he said that you restrict the bike then get it to the dyno, they give you a certificate saying its below 30kw, you show it to the insurance and job is a good.

(then take the restriction STRAIGHT BACK OUT !!!!) Then burn rubber.

If he was on a 250 with L plates and legal, it must have been over 30 years ago as the 125 law came in back in '83.

If all you have is a CBT, then you are limited to a 125, no exceptions, no restricted big bikes, nada. The only time you can be on a bigger bike with L's is when being trained for DAS and you are accompanied by your instructor.

As of January 19th this year, if you pass your test on a 125 you are still stuck on a 125, no L's and you can carry pillions, but still only 125.

To go any bigger you need to take the test on a bigger bike - it all goes by age (17, 19, 21 with previous test passes, 24 for Direct Access) and bike size: 125 up to 14bhp or so, over 395cc between 33 & 47 bhp, or over 600 and over 47 bhp. It's all a bit complicated, so here's the official Govt flowchart you can follow - Click here for a PDF file

Simply put, to ride your XT550, you're gonna have to pass at least the middleweight test - over 19, over 395cc, between 33 and 47 bhp. If you're over 24 just go and do Direct Access, it's the only sensible option .....

• Like 2

Dumbfuckexia (higher form of Dyslexia)

CBT = 125cc................thats it.

Tho if you want to ride your XT550 crack on, but im sure there will be no pity party waiting for you at the hospital.

• Like 1