DT in distress part 3!

wild foamy
This post is 3302 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well i got one pic before my camera battery jacked out :(

The bike is now more or les fully stripped, but for some reason the swingarm bolt wont release :( may have to press it out, other than that all the other parts have been shotblasted and painted, so its just a case of getting this last little bit sorted out :)

Well i need something to ride to squires on.

Have found a few unsatisfactory things that need replacing, the rear brake hub has a chunk missing from the side so that will need replacing, the shocks are full of water, the swingarm bolt and shock bolt that mounts to it had to be cut off, dipstick is missing (any volunteers?) and im missing the sidestand switch :/

Piccies:

942506_10152060558418961_305022441_n.jpg

1017164_10152060558528961_1761697530_n.j

Sorry for the sucky quality, camera phone :(

Well ATM they are just held to the frame with bolts so i can move it around, need to measure up the length of bolt i need and find some tubing.

All been zinc primed, so should keep to corrosion at bay :) want to put new case bolts on it though as some of the heads are pretty chewed up, looks like its going to be an ongoing project :P

Paint it, save a fortune

"

Im ringing around looking for quotes to powdercoat the frame near Wolverhampton, i was just going to rattle can it but considering im probably going to keep this little bike until i am old and crusty it makes more sense to get it all done right from the start and not have to worry about it."

Eh, not a valid argument, you'll only use it rarely and the rest of it's cosseted life will no doubt be indoors, anyway rattle can done well is more durable than you give credit for and hey not to mention job satisfaction

Paul, try Ashton powder coat in Guide bridge, Ashton. Not too far from you and their work is superb and cheap too!

give you a tour if you ask

Well ATM they are just held to the frame with bolts so i can move it around, need to measure up the length of bolt i need and find some tubing.

All been zinc primed, so should keep to corrosion at bay :) want to put new case bolts on it though as some of the heads are pretty chewed up, looks like its going to be an ongoing project :P

looks good so far, keep at it or you'll lose interest again!

Day 3 of the DT project, Still looking for some decent plastics, i can buy brand new ones from overseas but they dont list the rear mudguard in blue or the headlamp nacelle, only the front mudguard.

1546035_10152061853993961_1309696209_n_z

1609639_10152061960648961_17226038_n_zps

Started stripping the seat down only to find a f*cking great big hornet was hiding in there (may have just been a wasp on steroids) :(, seat cover is on its way as are all the oils, still need to find my autolube pump and sort the switchgear out, other than that the wiring loom is on and should be ready to fire it up this time next week, need to make myself a near swingarm pivot bolt and spacers, monoshock needs a new lower bush (giggity). will definately be ready for squires though :)

Shopping list:

Battery

Rear Tyre

Chain and sprocket

Plastics

RH side panel

Still doesnt look anything like my donkey though :/

Havent found the part numbers yet, CMSNL dont list the DT50MX :(

waiting on some emails back to see if i can get them from a UK supplier, may have to nip in to my local yam dealer and get them to look it up on the microfiche

Also, anyone know where I can get the stickers for the switchgear?

they might be similar to standard yams so have a look at german ebay either xs or rd

hvc cycle have some pictures

http://www.hvccycle.net/search.php?search_query=decal&x=0&y=0

That looks like the sort i need, the indicator switchgear needs replacing anyway as it has rotted away inside :(

IMG_2560_zpsf6cd5295.jpg

IMG_2561_zpsa1b5116e.jpg

Also, the engine was full of mayonaise when i opened it up

IMG_2547_zpsbe109c1a.jpg

Here is how it looks now, im running with the original plastics until i can find some good originals, or paint them.

IMG_2548_zps8b59dd47.jpg

IMG_2550_zps219df5f6.jpg

IMG_2551_zps9fd1bf5a.jpg

IMG_2552_zps42b25b40.jpg

IMG_2558_zpsc0fc511e.jpg

Very happy with how the swingarm came out :)

IMG_2559_zps10a270b3.jpg

I did have a brief moment of sitting on it making vroom-vroom noises, was like being 16 again :)

Now its just a case of waiting for the postie to deliver my plastic paints, indicator relay, fork oil and seals, engine oil, case bolts, chain and sprocket set, fork gators, grips, switchgear, ignition barrel, headlight, and inner tubes. gonna be another busy weekend :) also started making a fibreglass topbox for the trip to squires, dont want another repeat of last year having to bodge a 12v socket to the fireblade and then having it catch fire :(.

• Like 1