DT in distress part 3!

wild foamy
This post is 3293 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey peeps! :D

i picked up another DT50 yesterday, and it starts and runs!, matching frame/engine numbers, all original albeit missing the usual parts (switchgear, wiring looms, lights) buuuuuut... when i went down to swansea i happened upon a most magnificent workshop, the best way i could describe it was the size of an aircraft hangar, divided into 3 levels with every single bike parts you could possibly imagine, there were fireblade parts, RD parts, suzuki parts e.t.c, boxes full of indicators and control cables, it was the sort of place i could get lost in for days!

and in the back of the workshop i found a DT50 paris dakar bodykit! :D, so have now decided to turn my 3rd DT into a paris dakar model

will get pics tomorrow, after i'd taken it up and down the scrubland behind the workshop a few times i couldnt bear to break it down!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It'll look nice with that Dakar kit on Foamy, a much bigger fuel tank too, where's this place nr Swansea then? am looking for rocking horse poo parts myself.

The blokes name is Joe, give him a call on 07811247517, its best to take a car and trailer down to his lockup(s) in swansea and spend atleast a day having a mooch about, sometimes you can just ask "have you got a left hand red side panel for a 1989 XJ650?" and he will dissappear into one of the far corners and point up to the rafters where you will find the panel hanging on the wall, quite a skill lol

Just tell him Steve sent ya, (or the guy who bought the DT50 if he doesnt remember me lol)

Aye will do, cheers for that, missus gets over in Swansea once a fortnight with her job, might hitch a lift sometime soon, and have a good butchers at what he's got knocking about, do I need to take a rook of tools or are parts pretty much on shelves?

parts are on the shelves mostly, he has a few bikes which are partly dismantled but most of it is either hung on the walls or boxed up on the shelves, he had a whole room full of fuel tanks of various shapes and sizes and another room completely stacked to the rafters with engines! :P

Hmmmmm, might take the wife there for our hunny moon. :eusa_think:

• 3 weeks later...

19.... 83 ish i think judging by the frame number, i picked up another DT50 last night which will serve as a donor bike, was working on it today and it now has both brakes, switchgear, a clutch that works, a straight set of handlebars, rear mudguard, a proper seat and a light cowling, going to need to make another wiring loom for it though.

gave it a few laps over on the back of the airfield, its so much fun XD

• 3 weeks later...

It was a bright sunny day today, so i decided to get outside and strip the 4th DT down, list the parts i dont want on eBay and swap all the good useable bits i want onto the blue DT, here's now it looks

left my blue rear mudguard at home though, d'oh!

IMG_00000260_zpsb83bd1d5.jpg

IMG_00000261_zpsbfeb67f9.jpg

• 7 months later...

Well peeps, i've finally pulled my finger out of my ass!.

I have all my primers, paints, and parts e.t.c, booked out the shotblast cabinet at the workshop today so from friday until sunday i will be in the stripping the DT down, painting everything and re-assembling (will be out saturday picking up grouchs' XT though...).

Im ringing around looking for quotes to powdercoat the frame near Wolverhampton, i was just going to rattle can it but considering im probably going to keep this little bike until i am old and crusty it makes more sense to get it all done right from the start and not have to worry about it.

buzzing with excitement now :D This will be my fall-back bike for Squires/YOC meet this year should i fail to get project FUCR up and running.

Bout pissing time you started doing some thing to these bikes you have. Was half expecting to turn on channel 5 and see a documentary on this bloke in a mankini ownng stupid amounts of bike lol

I think CWS (the wheel rebuilders) do powdercoating, never used them so not a recommendation but I think they are around brum. There is a guy in south Derbyshire who has a good reputation on the RD forum if that isnt too far?

Its going to be in the original peacock blue :) The last frame i had powdercoated was the XJ Turbo and cost £260 from Rolling Art motorcycles in Purton, will have to look up CWS :)

The DT should be half of that. Most are about £70 to £120 and do the swing arm free if the same colour and at the same time.

Paint it, save a fortune

"

Im ringing around looking for quotes to powdercoat the frame near Wolverhampton, i was just going to rattle can it but considering im probably going to keep this little bike until i am old and crusty it makes more sense to get it all done right from the start and not have to worry about it."

Eh, not a valid argument, you'll only use it rarely and the rest of it's cosseted life will no doubt be indoors, anyway rattle can done well is more durable than you give credit for and hey not to mention job satisfaction