yamaha R6 Gearproblems

Rupert123
This post is 3329 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

I have purchased a yamaha r6 from the year 2004. The engine has a pretty low mileage of 8900. The bike has not been used for the last few years with the last owner. Now a couple of days ago Ive been having some problems with my gearshifting. from neutral to 1st is oke and no problem. Then from 1st into the second gear it shoots into neutral. If i try this over and over again eventually it will change gear, Then from 2nd gear until six there is no problem at all.
Does anyone know what the cause may be? I've read that the 99-02 models had some problems with the 2nd gear but this should be solved in my model. I can't find any simual topics with this problem. All the other topics are about the second gear falling out on around 9000rpms.
Does anyone know what I can check for this problem and if this is a serieus matter?
Thanks allot!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It could be that you are not being firm enough with the gear lever. Make sure the oil in the gearbox is clean and that the chain is also tensioned correctly.

I bet the selector fork is badly worn or bent, or 2nd gear [ spinning gear] will be needing shimmed, it will have too much side movement, [5mm is too much] as you try to select 2nd" the spinning gear will move away from the driven gear, resulting in a false neutral. also the if bearings on the shafts are worn , this allows side movement also... all them "mm" add up to poor gear selection,, :yeah:

Id change the oil and go from there, might be nothing to worry about. Your model isnt know for a bad gearbox so hopefully all is okay inside.

• 3 months later...

Ah " youve found the post. low on oil will give change issues too. :yeah:

If it's anything like the 600r from the same years, the dogs on 2nd gear go bad from poor shifting (usually not being firm enough). Try applying light upward pressure to the shifter to preload it before you shift. It'll almost jump into gear then. On the 600r's that did this same thing, they'll pop out of gear long before 9k rpm if 2nd has gone bad. Good luck!

1st to 2nd gear chang problems 99% of the time bent shift fork,if the bike has ever been droped on the left side,even just falling over off the side stand can bend the fork.enough to cause shifting problems.false neturals.If you hold the shifter up while releasing the clutch and it goes better than most likely the fork is bent,if it blow back out of gear still then the dogs and windows are worn.

First thing to do is change the oil and if no improvment then you can open the clutch cover and check the detent spring,but mostlikely you going to have to split the case and change out the fork and re cut the dogs and windows on the 2 gears for 2nd, most racers will have that gear undercut creating a ramp so when the dogs meet the window they pull themself together.temporay fix shift to 3rd

• 2 weeks later...

My r6 gear problem has been solved it was the bearing which is on the shift rod with the selector on,we managed to get some z1 inside the bearing to free it of now I can get every gear easily.this was caused through not using the bike regularly as I should due to the British weather.

• 2 weeks later...

I do agree with them that is a common problem with that year model. But try to change your engine oil and observe if that doesn't solve the problem than no choice but to open up the cltuch assembly and gears. A pal of might did this but went for aftermarket parts instead of oem, worked great and no more shifting issue as he stated shifts better compared to stock.

• 1 year later...

I've had a similar problem when I first got my r1 2007 model. After a 60-80 mile ride my gears became stiff especialy down the box and difficult 1st to 2nd, this was new oil from the dealer I got it from. After about 300 miles the oil had a very slight amount of white floating in the top of the site glass, so I did an oil and filter change to castrol power 1, and what a difference. Much smoother. Nice into second gear. Even after a good thrash for 120 miles. Still good now and no more white stuff. Thought my head cylinder gasket had gone at first, but no oil or water lost and now ok after about 500 miles. Think it was treacle or golden syrup and not good oil.

Sent down the wires from home

Rapidgaz, if you look at the header you will see this is a 2013 post, might make more sense to open a new post rather then ressurect one from 2 years ago.

This post is 3329 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.