planning camping trip not done on bike before need camping list ideas

Tommy xs
This post is 4052 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone, planning a camping trip soon, not done camping on bike before, need camping list ideas iv'e done a list but could do with some suggestions i'm limited on space & weight obviously, but looking at my list can't help thinking iv'e missed something

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey Tommy, I too will be going camping around May time. I started up a thread a little while ago and the folks on here gave some good advice, check it out: It'll be my first camping trip on a bike too.

Hopefully people's responses may jog your memory. But if not, feel free to give me a shout and I'll let you know what's on my list!

hey bippo, bet your glad you put your trip back till May looking at the weather. I'm going to do a one night stay in wales in April to test out my tent & gear should realize what iv'e missed then, got similar set up to you with tank bag and soft panniers, tent across back only difference is i'll have my son on the back we're off to the TT in may just for long weekend, you'll have a fantastic time on Cornwall trip

wish i had the time to spare for a trip like that. i'll post some pics when i get back look forward to seeing yours

Hey Tommy - yeah I'm glad I put it back as well!

I'll also be going on a test run - probably over Yorkshire way, or just somewhere in the Pennines. In the meantime, it really helped me to do a test pack as it enabled me to get rid of the things I really didn't need - I am only camping in the UK at the end of the day. They claim you're never more than 6 foot away from a rat don't they? Surely the same must apply to Tesco... :babyha:

I could pack lighter - for example I'm bringing my own cooking utensils instead of eating out all the time, but that was a personal choice as I want it to feel like a real trip! When I near my destination, I'll swing into a shop and pick up some food - so I've left room to do that. I didn't really fancy relying on heading again after arriving at the campsite as I have no doubt I'll be tired doing all of it on a 125!

When I laid everything out, my fleece was the hardest to pack into a small size, so I'm just going to take the lining out of my bike jacket and wear that, things like that help to save a lot of space.

The only thing I need to do now is book some time off work for when I'd like to go, but I'll make that decision once I see an improvement with this weather...

Enjoy the TT, you lucky thing! Should be great and we'd definitely love to see photos. :hyper:

Pick and choose from some of these suggestions:

Fuel Can - Get a bottle or somesuch container suitable for petrol, that holds a couple litres. Just in case you

Tent - 2-man, even if it's just you alone. Find a decent brand that packs down small.

Sleeping bag - Get a 3-season at least. You can always open it up if you're too warm, but recovering from the cold is a BITCH when camping. Find a decent brand that packs down real small. Keep in something waterproof.

Rollmat - I personally hate these, but many find them useful. Comfort and insulation = Good night's sleep. Takes up space but weighs nowt, so strap on top of your kit. Your choice.

Cooking - Get a Trangia type set of cookware that packs inside itself, to make a small unit. Same with your chosen stove type - Plenty of good little ones out there. Include extra fuel. Cutlery is just cutlery.

Waterproofs - Take them!!

Undies - Enough, but no more.

Dry clothes - One set, packed in a watertight plastic bag. Nothing worse than trying to sleep in wet kit.

Extra clothing - A couple of bits, but not too much. Include a jumper/fleece.

Hat - Beanie cap or something similarly warm. After a long day of helmeted head, you'll suddenly find yourself getting quite cold at night.

Maps - Or GPS. Maybe a compass, if you know what you're doing.

Tool kit - Some essentials, as described on one of the other threads. Consider the small type. Include spare spark plugs, fuses, perhaps throttle and clutch cables. All the bits that might leave you standed upon failure yet are easily reparable.

TORCH - Get a decent little one. I recommend the Tactical type (can list shops, if you like) that are Pritt-Stick sized and 230+ lumens, ie a portable Sun. Batteries are tiny and last years!

Portable Communications Device - In case you need to phone the breakdown/pizza guys.

Rope - 10m+ of good quality 8mm rope. For those moments when paracord just isn't enough. Always had some, used occasionally for some of the most bizarre assistances!

Paracord - Get a 50m bundle. Make sure it has the white core, rather than being just the cheap knock-off shit. Used for all kinds of stuff, from laundry lines to boot laces, to clothing fixes, to tie downs

Pocket knife - For cutting paracord and doing general knifey stuff. Must be less than 3½" long and fold, but NOT lock. Must NOT be sprung, gravity-opened or generally one-handed operating (unless it has a thumb stud).
I ignore all that and just use the serrated lock blade I got in the Army!
Also, consider a bladed multi-tool of some kind. Avoid cheap ones!!!

Take a book or a magazine in case you get rained in all day in your tent.

This has happened to me a few times. A small, cheap MP3 player loaded with music or downloaded radio shows and a book can really keep boredom at bay and let you really relax.

I also use a 3-man tent - they cost little more than 2-man, but give you more room to get your bike kit on and off if it is damp.

I also have

19291-130112095358207082077.jpgWorth every penny.

And a fifth of you fav antifreeze the human kind,no point of beenin cold wet and stone sober :drunk:

And a fifth of you fav antifreeze the human kind,no point of beenin cold wet and stone sober :drunk:

I second that DT... That's on my shopping list for when I arrive at my camp site - will help me settle down for the night!

Regarding the roll mat / camp bed point - I ended up buying a Therm-a-rest Prolite Plus mattress. They aren't cheap, but basically they pack down so small and are really light, I was able to pack that into my 15 litre pannier along with everything else - hence the reason I only need to lash the tent down onto the back.

I've tested it out already, and found it to be more comfortable than a roll mat. Guess it depends on your requirements, which for me was space saving.

I'd agree regarding a larger tent too. I have a 2 man tent, but it has a ridiculously huge vestibule - perfect for storing everything away from your sleeping quarters whilst still being able to pull up a seat and cook if the weather is bad. That was another requirement of mine. It doesn't pack down all that small, but then again it wasn't very expensive. My tent is a Vango Omega 250.

My tent is a Vango Omega 250.

OMG, that's a frakkin' PALACE!!!!!

Seriously, you could park the bike inside there...

I always preferred a smallish tent, especially if alone, as it's easier to keep warm. The bigger the space, the colder it gets and it always seems to get freezing if the day has been blazing hot!

Back in the day, I'd use either the one-man bivi bag tunnel tents, or just take a poncho, bungies and a net hammock, but riding now means I have to factor in wet kit and hanging-to-dry space as most camsites won't let you build a massive fire in their treeline! :D

MP3 players and stuff are all good, so long as you're not needing them for a week or more, or if you have charging capabilities on yer ride. Consider a wind-up radio. Some also have solar panels.

E-Books are good, but cheap trashy novels are better since once you've read a page it trebles as both firelighters and as toilet paper!!

OMG, that's a frakkin' PALACE!!!!!

Seriously, you could park the bike inside there...

Trust me - it's massive! When I first pitched it I was shocked. I'd read many reviews and found some bikers complaining about how small it was, so they were getting the 350 model instead. So I went ahead and bought it thinking it would be good for me, but also two-up trips when I get my full licence and I couldn't believe it when it arrived at my door. Not quite sure what those people were looking at...

But hey-ho, if I find myself mainly camping on my own, at least I know I can get a second (and considerably smaller) tent!

Oh and although I haven't tried it yet, I've checked the measurements against those of my bike and with the two vestibule side doors, I should indeed be able to park my bike up inside with only part of a wheel sticking out...

I'm going to look like such an idiot at the camp site, solo woman, tiny 125, portable mansion / garage... :hah:

O no bippo you won't,last year I went camping and 2 girls showed up in 2 cars packed full.They set up "camp" a 10x10 eating tent complete with tv,full size bbq, portable shower,2 full size coolers, a tent to sleep 10, half the cook wear from the kitchen. They even had a sink to wash dishes.generator to run the hair drier,blender..ect..

So I'm thinking OK the rest of the group must be comming light,mabey ridin in,or more cars packed with people,NOPE,just the 2 of them and all this for 3 days 2 nights. I shared my catch of the day (brook trout) and they fed me one of the best ceaser salads I ever had and margaritas. They spent most of the time cooking or changing clothes.Smashed drunk and laughing all the time.One of thoes times you wish you had brought a cammera

I will say they were the best looking campers,looked just as fresh the day they left as they did when they showed up.

• Like 1

cheers everyone, some good ideas there I hadn't thought of. My favorite has to be the human antifreeze enough of that and we won't need much else :buzz: already got my tent, nothing special but is a double skin will be taking mp3 but i'm leaving the satnav at home, don't think i'll need it on the isle of man. Probably not do much riding just plan on sitting outside pub with the bike flying past can anyone recommend a good pub to watch the TT ?

i'll take look, bought a few things from there in the past, usually pretty good quality stuff. many thanks

E-Books are good, but cheap trashy novels are better since once you've read a page it trebles as both firelighters and as toilet paper!!

Just make sure you do that in the right order ..... "Ring of Fire" anyone? Mined ewe, the other way could end up with some seriously smelly smoke ......

Hey Tommy - yeah I'm glad I put it back as well!

I'll also be going on a test run - probably over Yorkshire way, or just somewhere in the Pennines. In the meantime, it really helped me to do a test pack as it enabled me to get rid of the things I really didn't need - I am only camping in the UK at the end of the day. They claim you're never more than 6 foot away from a rat don't they? Surely the same must apply to Tesco... :babyha:

I could pack lighter - for example I'm bringing my own cooking utensils instead of eating out all the time, but that was a personal choice as I want it to feel like a real trip! When I near my destination, I'll swing into a shop and pick up some food - so I've left room to do that. I didn't really fancy relying on heading again after arriving at the campsite as I have no doubt I'll be tired doing all of it on a 125!

When I laid everything out, my fleece was the hardest to pack into a small size, so I'm just going to take the lining out of my bike jacket and wear that, things like that help to save a lot of space.

The only thing I need to do now is book some time off work for when I'd like to go, but I'll make that decision once I see an improvement with this weather...

Enjoy the TT, you lucky thing! Should be great and we'd definitely love to see photos. :hyper:

I know what you mean about cooking bippo its not camping if you don't cook and it helps pass the time. i booked a campsite in wales for the 27th April (dry run) but then realized the Stafford show is on that weekend so i might just go their & camp should be a good weekend

all day looking at auto jumble, my son will be board stiff but i love it.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online