DUCATI 996

slice
This post is 4160 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have been offered a Duke 996 from a friend of a friend, and to be honest I know nothing of these bikes except that they are Italian and probably have the worlds worst electrics, it's been left out in this guys back garden where it has become the home for various woodland animals and the odd weed and bush growing through it for the last 3 years. He is going to give this thing to me as it is in a bit of a state, well it would be really as it's out in the heart of the cotswolds and the weather is anything but clement and 3 years of winter and rain have taken a toll on the various bits of plastic and other gubbings attached to it. It was running when he walked away from it and he says that all the stuff worked he even has all the manuals and the original bill of sale would you believe! it was 2 years old when he left it and it has about 12K on the clock, I was just wondering if it was worth taking on as my 2013 winter project or to run away laughing. Any thoughts would be gratefully recieved as I am totally in the dark on wether this thing is the deal of the year or a mill stone round my neck.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It's going to cost a bit more than a jap bike to fix but i would grab that ASAP,part it out if for nothing else $$$$$$,but I think when you see the sexy lines you will fall in love and fix it.

Thanks guys , should have said I have seen the bike just could not move it as it was welded to the ground by weeds and brambles and probably the odd field mouse and rat holding it down, love the lines on it even in this state but just not sure if I want to spend 2 grand on an exhaust and various other expensive bits, that's my question really, at what point is it just junk and not worth bothering with?

The motor and wheels make it worth it alone if the body work is in tact then even more $$$$$$$$$ Parts for them are dear

Dont fix it just crack it for spares......unless of course you have a late gsxr11 needing some sexy running gear and tail.

Ie flog the bits at a streetfighters bash for decent return.

Why o why would someone do that?

He should have his right to own a motorcycle taken off him for the sin he has been found guilty of!!!!

Ducati might not be a brand everyone would call reliable but they make some sexy looking and sounding bikes...

Ill have it just so I could say I have a Ducati in the garage lol

Thanks guys , should have said I have seen the bike just could not move it as it was welded to the ground by weeds and brambles and probably the odd field mouse and rat holding it down, love the lines on it even in this state but just not sure if I want to spend 2 grand on an exhaust and various other expensive bits, that's my question really, at what point is it just junk and not worth bothering with?

Is he just a friend or a mate,

If a friend, grab it and make a few quid.

If he's a mate then between both of you make a few bob between yourselves.

Ducati might not be a brand everyone would call reliable but they make some sexy looking and sounding bikes...

There are some right sexy women out there too but you only want to ride them a couple of times too before they get expensive.

• Like 1