Let there be light!

bippo
This post is 4232 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey all!

So some of you may be aware from a previous thread that all is going well with my YBR, apart from the lame headlight bulb (full beam is fine).

It's making my trip down unlit roads really difficult as the headlight fails to light anything past 4 / 5 meters in front of me... Add to that the fact that these roads are generally national speed limit, it all makes me feel a little uneasy.

So, I've been Googling replacement bulbs (as well as looking on here), but I'm just after some clarification as I struggle to understand this (lame I know...)

The bike is fitted with a H4 12v 35w/35w bulb. I'm getting a mixture of information from the net as well as face-to-face. My questions are:

1. Should I just be looking to get a like-for-like wattage which is just halogen to improve things slightly?

2. Or, am I able to get something like a H4 12v 60w/55w xenon bulb without causing any damage to the bike?

I apologise in advance for the constant hesitation, it's just I'm hearing from some that the higher wattage will damage the bike, and others that as long as the voltage is the same it won't matter.

Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Thanks. :-)

I've decided I won't be bothering with heated grips, the new gloves I bought are doing the jobs just fine - and if things get really bad then I'll purchase some *attractive* muffs...

So as a result - sorting a new headlight will be the only electrical thing I'm focussing on. I'll try the garage to see what they say about it (good idea).

Might not be your cup of tea, but the handguards you see on the Enduro bikes deflect the wind enough to stop the cold from making your fingers numb,

Might not be your cup of tea, but the handguards you see on the Enduro bikes deflect the wind enough to stop the cold from making your fingers numb,

I can second this, since fitting my hand guards I noticed the difference straight away. The difference they make is excellent, they are great for protecting from the wind, cold, and rain.

Thanks NEV and Grouch, I'll bear them in mind for when the weather gets worse.

I'm going to try ringing the garage tomorrow to see what they recommend about a replacement bulb that won't inadvertently affect the bike. That's my main concern right now - even the slightest improvement would be great!

+1 for the hand guards, just make sure you get a set that are braced with alluminium, i had a set on the DT that were purely made of ABS and the they shattered like glass the first time i dropped it, bought a set of alluminium braced handguards and they were brilliant, couple these with handlebar muffs (alright, they look about as trendy as condoms but they do their job) and its all good, alternatively Maplins do heated gloves which run off their own battery pack (9v rating, should be able to get a step-down fom your 12v bike electrics if you really need a longer run time)

As for the bulb, the phillips high output series are quite good, if you have a halfords trade card they are even cheaper, failing that you may be better off sticking with what you have standard

Ok the 35-35 bulb is drawing 2.9 amps, the 60-55 would draw 5amps and 4.5 amps respectivly so as far a load issue on the charging system no big deal.

As you would be running the low beam most of the time you would only be using 1.6 amps more.

Putting in a xenon bulb in might generate too much heat for the light if it's plastic if its glass then I see no reason why you couldn't..

Ok the 35-35 bulb is drawing 2.9 amps, the 60-55 would draw 5amps and 4.5 amps respectivly so as far a load issue on the charging system no big deal.

As you would be running the low beam most of the time you would only be using 1.6 amps more.

Putting in a xenon bulb in might generate too much heat for the light if it's plastic if its glass then I see no reason why you couldn't..

Thanks so much for this information - very helpful indeed!

Your welcome Bippo I cant belive yam would put a 35w bulb in might as well put a candle in lol.I have a aftermarket UFO light on my wr and it's plastic and I run a 60-55 with no problems.

Hey Bippo, any update ref the bulb issue. There are a few threads here but can't see any real conclusions (unless a converter kit is put on). So keen to hear what you did or going to do.

(Have the same issue as you with the shite light!)

Hey guys - no, I'm afraid no update on the light yet - I'm currently away with work so don't have access to my bike!

I will however be looking into this once I'm back and will update this thread. My commute is beginning to become quite troublesome now that the darkness is closing in, so I'll need to get something sorted.

It looks like DT502001 has given some great advice, so that may help you guys in the meantime.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online