Feeling rather chuffed

bippo
This post is 4229 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

This will be my first winter on my bike and as it's my only mode of transport I'm going to stick it out until the weather is impossible to negotiate e.g. 6 foot of snow. I'm going to buy some boots and some proper bikers trousers, and possibly some winter gloves. My motocross gloves are actaully winter ones but I don't think they will be up for the job.

It really is worth it, I have just bought some boots and winter gloves - makes such a difference to your comfort levels.

The only thing I'm missing now is some proper bike trousers. Not only would I feel safer, but my damn thighs wouldn't be frozen by the time I get into work! But alas, that's for another wage packet!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watch out for the salt bippo, maybe treat your bike to some ACF50...I understant its very good at it's job and without it the salt will EAT your pride n joy!

Good for you Bippo.

I'm with Airhead on the ACF50, kept the worst of my bikes last winter, and there will be plenty of salt on the Pennines in winter

Thanks for the tip guys! I'll take a gander at that, the last thing I want is my pride to disintegrate!

>Even with the rain, darkness, coldness and mental memory of junctions I really enjoyed myself!

Welcome to the club!!

THIS is what it's all about. THIS is where the real adventure lies!

>But I've discovered that owning a 125 doesn't have to be a restriction and it sure as hell is an experience!

Quote of the year, I'd say!!

Many of us have been saying this all along - Great to find someone who is really living it!

YAY! Do I get an award for my enthusiasm?! Seriously though, thanks for the kind words, I cannot even begin to tell you how much I'm enjoying myself - just wish I'd done it sooner, but never mind!

YAY! Do I get an award for my enthusiasm?!

You already have it - The title of 'Biker'. Wear it proud, mate! ;)

Hey bippo I assume you are continuing with the mammoth commute, keep on top of your chain lube and adjustment keep it regularly lubed,

all this rain and the long distances you are covering will wash off the lube in days ........apologies if i'm telling you how to suck eggs lol

Scottoiler would be a good move, i got 22k miles from my scottoiler equipped 600 on one chain and sprockets.

I have a scottoiler on the tdr too.

Hey guys, no thanks for the advice, I'm completely clueless with bikes. I have chain lube, the garage set me up with a whole raft of goodies (Yamalube and Scottoiler are in the pack).

Luckily for me, I'm working from home tomorrow - it's blowing up a gail outside!

All this talk of riding in the cold and wet takes me back. Im a confirmed fairweather rider now but ive served a long hard apprenticship. All the advice I read is spot on. Makes me yearn for my youth when the choice for getting to work was bike or bike. You will certainly be more hardy for it and you cant beat the bike craft you will learn with a regular ride like that.

How's the commute going btw Bippo? Loving it ya? I live quite close to work so not much area to stretch her legs (not that an 80 has much leg to stretch), but it's still a fun little jaunt. :)

All this talk of riding in the cold and wet takes me back. Im a confirmed fairweather rider now but ive served a long hard apprenticship. All the advice I read is spot on. Makes me yearn for my youth when the choice for getting to work was bike or bike. You will certainly be more hardy for it and you cant beat the bike craft you will learn with a regular ride like that.

Thanks Captain! You're right, I am learning a lot from this commute. I'm now getting the courage to filter to the front of traffic lights during rush hour, whereas before I would just sit there in the traffic. Well, I still do that sometimes, but I'm not in a rush to get places so its ok!

How's the commute going btw Bippo? Loving it ya? I live quite close to work so not much area to stretch her legs (not that an 80 has much leg to stretch), but it's still a fun little jaunt. :)

Hey Sacha! Yeah it's still going really well - I'm still enjoying myself! Yesterday was a bit trying because the fog was so thick, it nearly caught me out on a hairpin bend. It's ok though - it was 5.30am, so I was the only one on that country lane!

The thing I'm struggling with most is the poor headlight on the YBR. The moment I'm travelling down a road with no street lights or light pollution I can't see a thing. That's really not good considering those roads make up most of my commute... I just want to leave it on full beam all the time, ha ha!

That aside, it's giving me great practice with my cornering, I'm slowly building up the confidence to realise that I don't need to slow down quite as much for some of the bends, which is great as its making my journey flow much better.

Another reason to make me want to continue the commute is just how cheap it is when compared with my car or the train! More money to spend on bike stuff, ha ha!

You can get brighter bulbs for the headlight. Phillips do the most popular 60w ones and it's just a simple swap out. Just make sure you get the right kind for your headlight and that's it. I think even Halfords sell the bulbs.

Yes, I believe I will need to change the bulb, when I'm next out and about in the dark, I'll pull over and take a picture of it's reach. When you don't know the road, it's just plain scary.

Again, I know it's just an 'about town' 125, so I'm not expecting Blackpool Illuminations, but improving it a little is better than nothing. Aside from that, I could always just ride around with my full beam on constantly, just like the car drivers like to do to me, ha ha!

I may need to do some research though - I don't know ANYTHING about this kind of thing, but I wouldn't want to go out and get a bulb that causes any damage to the wiring... (Don't laugh - I really am that clueless...)

I'm looking through the user manual, and I have a quartz bulb headlight, 12v, 35W/35W. I'll have a little Google session and see what's the best replacement out there...

Yes, I believe I will need to change the bulb, when I'm next out and about in the dark, I'll pull over and take a picture of it's reach. When you don't know the road, it's just plain scary.

Again, I know it's just an 'about town' 125, so I'm not expecting Blackpool Illuminations, but improving it a little is better than nothing. Aside from that, I could always just ride around with my full beam on constantly, just like the car drivers like to do to me, ha ha!

I may need to do some research though - I don't know ANYTHING about this kind of thing, but I wouldn't want to go out and get a bulb that causes any damage to the wiring... (Don't laugh - I really am that clueless...)

I'm looking through the user manual, and I have a quartz bulb headlight, 12v, 35W/35W. I'll have a little Google session and see what's the best replacement out there...

IDK how those headlights are set up so this may sound really dumb, but is there a way to adjust the level of the beam? But my guess is, because the high beam level is good, it's probably pointing where it should. :)

There will/should be a model number written on the bulb itself. Pop into Halfords and get the 55/60w Philips one that matches the model type and you're good to go.

And yes, you should be able to alter the beam direction, as they will test it's alignment on your MOT. Likely just turning one of two screws on the headlight casing. The manual should explain it.

IDK how those headlights are set up so this may sound really dumb, but is there a way to adjust the level of the beam? But my guess is, because the high beam level is good, it's probably pointing where it should. :)

Yes, I've read other posts about adjusting the level. It has just had a service, but you never know - I will still check this when I sort another bulb. Better safe than sorry eh?!

There will/should be a model number written on the bulb itself. Pop into Halfords and get the 55/60w Philips one that matches the model type and you're good to go.

And yes, you should be able to alter the beam direction, as they will test it's alignment on your MOT. Likely just turning one of two screws on the headlight casing. The manual should explain it.

Thanks for this, a job for the weekend!

Nah, likely take you an hour at the absolute most, including cups of tea and cigarettes!

Another tip for riding in colder weather Bippo, is to 'borrow' a pair of tights of the missus/girlfriend, keeps the legs nice and warm mate under your trousers, just say a prayer after putting them on, that you don't have an 'off' as sometimes when the paramedics are cutting your jeans off, it can make for awkward questions, I did give the same advice to DirtyDT, but forgot to mention to him that they go 'under' your trousers.

A cracking commute you have there every day that mate,those open moors are awesome to ride a bike along, you'll be forgetting all the bad weather you've endured, come the good weather again, next Spring.

p.s just noted you're a female, so you'll not need to borrow off the missus/girlfriend, mind you these days nowt surprises me.

Tights ladder very easily (which upsets the wife) and can be expensive, as well as being very girly.

You can pick up thermal underlayer sets from bike accessory shops for a few quid, or a set of NOS army surplus thermal Long Johns from surplus shops for a few quid less - Both do a much better job IMO, the military ones being the best (naturally)! ;-)

I would've suggested long johns, but the incessant bleeding sending me the Damart, catalogues every 3 days stopped me.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online