Feeling rather chuffed

bippo
This post is 4229 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My new bike is now officially run-in and serviced, so today I braved my first trip into work. The reason I hadn't done it sooner is because:

A. I live in Glossop, and work in Leeds. So for those of you who don't know, that's a 50 mile one-way trip when I drive on the motorway and a 38 mile trip on back roads with my CBT and a 125. A total of 100 or 72 mile round trip, depending

B. It's a hilly ride so with a 125, revving can't be avoided and I didn't want to over-rev a new bike

C. It's taken a while to save up and buy clothing suitable for a cold ride over the Pennines in the morning

D. I'm new to riding, so I've been focussing on building up my confidence on two wheels

E. I'm not originally a 'Northerner' so I didnt know the roads or route. You get shockingly used to using motorways, you don't realise how little you know of an area until you are forced to use minor roads without sat nav!

But overall it went well! The only downside was the fact that the bikes headlight is terrible and doesn't actually light anything when riding down a road with no light pollution or street lights. But then again, what else is the full beam for?! That did an adequate job. I'm not complaining, I appreciate the YBR is a cheap 125 aimed at the city-riding market as opposed to A-road, B-road and country lane riding.

So today was the day! Even with the rain, darkness, coldness and mental memory of junctions I really enjoyed myself! The last thing I want is to be a "fair-weather rider" so I plan on doing the same trip tomorrow and as much as I can until the weather really turns bad. Even though I work in Leeds city centre, I get to park my bike for free in our underground car park, complete with military-wannabe security guards which is far better than the daily parking charge I had to stump up with the car.

As I work an early shift, the roads are much quieter, so I'm hoping to get as much practice in as I can. You'll be surprised how many hilly hair-pin bends I tackled on my route, in darkness! Roads like that I don't even think about in the car as I can't "fall off" that! So I'm hoping that practice too and from this route will soon see my right for my full licence and a bike more suited to demanding trips.

Oh - and for those YBR owners who are interested, working the gearbox meant I didn't encountered an issue. I was dealing with many 10% - 15% hills and the bike did surprisingly well. I'm 5'8" and had a backpack with my work clothes, iPad, documentation and lunch in. I rode across a lot of open moors resulting in a side wind battering, but the YBR handled itself well enough. I don't (yet) feel the need to buy a fly screen or resort to the car. It's surprising how much the right clothing assists with a demanding ride.

I can see the benefits of a larger capacity bike, and don't get me wrong, I really want to own one! But I've discovered that owning a 125 doesn't have to be a restriction, and it sure as hell is an experience!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At a girl ....real bikers don't let weather stop the ride,mind it's much more fun in nice weather.Just think free parking less gas $$ you will save up for the bigger bike in no time.

Fly screens on a small bike can cause the bike to want to steer it's self in cross winds as they are attached to the forks.The bike will handle better without in windy conditions.

wishing you many more safe and happy miles :headbang:

Well done Bippo. You will make a lot of full license holders bow their heads in shame.

A couple of things;

I don't think Glossop is Northern, the Midlands really. I am a Londoner who now lives in the Midlands

What was in your lunch box?

Well done Bippo. You will make a lot of full license holders bow their heads in shame.

A couple of things;

I don't think Glossop is Northern, the Midlands really. I am a Londoner who now lives in the Midlands

What was in your lunch box?

Thanks DirtyDT :-)

Do you know what - I have no clue as you whether Glossop is classed as 'Northern'! All I know is that when I used to work in Manchester they would joke and call me a "Southern Jessie". Obviously now that I work in Yorkshire, they really do class me as a Southerner!

Nwo for the important one... Lunch box consistent of crisps, fruit, tomatoes and a meat wrap. You know... The really 'heavy' stuff that is going to weigh down a 125.. ;-)

At a girl ....real bikers don't let weather stop the ride,mind it's much more fun in nice weather.Just think free parking less gas $$ you will save up for the bigger bike in no time.

Fly screens on a small bike can cause the bike to want to steer it's self in cross winds as they are attached to the forks.The bike will handle better without in windy conditions.

wishing you many more safe and happy miles :headbang:

That's the way to think of it! I can't wait you get more experience, pass my test and invest in a bigger bike!

Good to know about the fly screens, I assumed they would only be of benefit with head-on wind. But I found that gripping the handlebars tighter meant I got around around that for a cheaper price, ha ha!

yeah good on you. although my trip to work is only 7 miles. It is still brass monkeys when it closes in. 4 deg today on the way to work.

Not going to be long before the TDR goes back in for the big sleep. And comes back after the nasty white stuff (salt).

kind of daft really, the 25 year old bike gets put away for the bad weather and the 32 year old bike takes over. Doh.

Should I be pedantic and say that a tomato is a fruit too....................................na, I will leave that.

The other DT is right about the small type fairings. They can act like a scary sail in crosswinds.

Should I be pedantic and say that a tomato is a fruit too....................................na, I will leave that.

The other DT is right about the small type fairings. They can act like a scary sail in crosswinds.

Smart arse... ;-)

Personally the bike looks pretty cool without a screen - thanks for the useful information about them, I think I'll definitely steer clear.

So much to learn about this biking malark!

good on ya Bip.

just watch the shadows in the morning, as they sometimes have black ice on the road at this time.

good on ya Bip.

just watch the shadows in the morning, as they sometimes have black ice on the road at this time.

Thanks Drewpy, I have to admit that very much plays on my mind. I'm finding myself going round some bends a little slower than others, but better safe than sorry.

It may look a bit naff but the hand sheilds you see on off road bikes are really good for keeping your hands warm and the worst of the water off. With the grips your fingers will be toasty.

Something to cover your neck and chin too, i have an old wooly hat with the top cut open cos i'm tight. It works though.

heated grips if you're gonna continue with that hefty commute over the pennines! bippo;)

Yeah! Even with the winter gloves I bought it was pretty cold this morning!!

.................. i have an old wooly hat with the top cut open cos i'm tight. It works though.

It that the one we took a picture of you wearing?

last_of_summer_wine_az.jpg

It may look a bit naff but the hand sheilds you see on off road bikes are really good for keeping your hands warm and the worst of the water off. With the grips your fingers will be toasty.

Something to cover your neck and chin too, i have an old wooly hat with the top cut open cos i'm tight. It works though.

Hand guards make a real difference in the wind, rain, and cold. I was surprised how much of a difference they made after fit them.

Glad things are going ok Bippo! Your YBR will never fail you as long as you don't neglect it! The wind is really dangerous especially on open roads, I live in Bradford and the weather now up North has started to change, it won't be long until winter has kicked in big time.

Thanks Grouch :-) You're quite right about the weather, I'm making the most of riding now until it gets too risky down the quieter roads.

This will be my first winter on my bike and as it's my only mode of transport I'm going to stick it out until the weather is impossible to negotiate e.g. 6 foot of snow. I'm going to buy some boots and some proper bikers trousers, and possibly some winter gloves. My motocross gloves are actaully winter ones but I don't think they will be up for the job.

>Even with the rain, darkness, coldness and mental memory of junctions I really enjoyed myself!

Welcome to the club!!

THIS is what it's all about. THIS is where the real adventure lies!

>But I've discovered that owning a 125 doesn't have to be a restriction and it sure as hell is an experience!

Quote of the year, I'd say!!

Many of us have been saying this all along - Great to find someone who is really living it!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online