WD40 on brakes

Grouch
This post is 4348 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My neighbour trying to help me put WD40 on my brakes because I told him they were squeking. Needless to say they are working about 10% of effectiveness. How do I get them back to normal, will it wear off?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Disk brakes

Clean the disk, and anything else that is contaminated, with brake disk cleaner. Throw away the pads and put new ones in.

Drum brakes

Clean the contact area of the drum, and anything else that is contaminated, with brake disk cleaner. throw away the shoes and put new ones in.

STP stuff is good.

More importantly, keep the neighbour away from your bike.

You can burn it off with a blowtorch as well. If its pads, get some copaslip and put a light coating on the BACK of the pad. This will help get rid of the squeaking

As stated above DONT let your neighbour anywhere near your bike again

Seriously it was my neighbour. I have some brake cleaner. I went inside to make a coffee and when I come back he'd done it. I knew not to put wd40 on because I asked my dad about the squeaking and he told me whatever I do not to put WD on them.

The squeak has gone though.

Seriously it was my neighbour. I have some brake cleaner. I went inside to make a coffee and when I come back he'd done it. I knew not to put wd40 on because I asked my dad about the squeaking and he told me whatever I do not to put WD on them.

The squeak has gone though.

facepalm.jpg

Definitely new pads required, then send the bill to your neighbour.

Mind you I have seen worst, one of my mates was changing the pads on his Peugeot 106 and he put copperslip on the face of the pads, luckily he only got out of his drive before he realised he had zero brakes.

He bought me a crate of Stella, so it isn't all bad. New front pads are about a £10er and my Nate will fit them for free (this mate knows what he's doing).