Bike covers?

Baggo
This post is 4364 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I had 1 before, but I also have a garage so think I used it for the bbq instead lol.

I think you woould be best with a cover than not, keep the elements off the bike. I would assume that its best not to put the cover over a hot bike though.

You definitely need a cover if your bike is going to be exposed to the elements. I bought mine from Argos a few months ago for £20 and it is sound. It is a bit thin, but it is waterproof and does the job.

No one has problems with rusting? My mate reckons I'll have problems if I don't keep it in a garage. I thought I'd ask on here as you guys would know.

I was planning on spending a bit on a decent cover to avoid the effects of the elements.

Hi

It can be a pain in the arse to have to wait for the exausts to cool down so they don't melt the cover, so try to get a cover that won't melt, as for corrosion I think there are covers that use breathable water proof materials, they should help stop some of the condensation,

Have a look at these covers,they have a thick Oxford weave, interior rub panels sewn in, reflective bits on them, incase you use the cover on the road. £22 pounds free delivery, I was so impressed I bought 2, I've seen covers like these going on sale for £80-£100 pounds.

http://www.hawkcaralarm.com/HawkOxfordMaterialLargeAllWeatherMotorcycleCovers.aspx

That one Nev posted looks good. About the same price you pay for the argos/halfords ones. I've used the argos/halfords ones before and as soon as the wind gets under them the seem to tear. I guess if you're keeping it outside, keep it clean to avoid the dirt and subsequent corrosion. I think it was you Nev talking about ACF-50. What results did you have from that? Theres lots of other brands of water repellent stuff that leaves a film to protecton it out there so I'd get some of that and go for anywhere that water might collect or run down too and anywhere else prone to rust. Depending on what bike it is I'd also look out for where water might collect on top of the seat etc with the cover on.

Mirrors are the place that stretched/ripped my covers for my DT's.

Also I have thought before about trying de humidifiers inside the cover but some might say thats getting silly. In my house i use disposable de humidifier that they sell in tesco for about a quid. They're plastic casings with salt n stuff inside that draws moisture out of the air. I have a glass door to a balcony over my garage that is in my room and condensation builds alot so I have one at the bottom always. It suprises me how much water it absorbs. I keep meaning to get a few for my shed:

a70ac58e.jpg

Hi Baggo, My neighbour swears by his ARGOS plastic green house, cost him about 30 quid and he can get most of the bike in it plus he uses it as a spray booth, talk about multi functional, always worth a look I suppose. :jossun:

Hi Baggo, My neighbour swears by his ARGOS plastic green house, cost him about 30 quid and he can get most of the bike in it plus he uses it as a spray booth, talk about multi functional, always worth a look I suppose. :jossun:

At the same time? :razz:

NO not at the same time it's not that big but he really bangs on about it. :biglaugha:

I use a Motrax Deluxe one. Sewn in soft cover for the bars. Reflective triangle for the back, front & back loops for security chains and a under bike strap.

Be careful if you go for a cover, some are not rainproof and are intended for inside.

Cool thanks guys. My mate who I work with reckons you can get a cover which has a de-humidifier attached. Might be worth looking into. Other than that I'm thinking of building something I can store the bike in.

Those covers I reccommended from Hawkalarms, are definately for outside and 100% waterproof, as often, a few hours after its rained, I have to lift up the cover slightly to get rid of a pool of rainwater, thats gathered in a crease between the seat and side panel area.

Not sure about whether ACF-50 would waterproof a bike cover Andy, if I was going to do that, I'd go find a tent waterproof spray from Milllets, or similar.

Oxford Rainex gets my vote. Not let a drop in yet and no corrosion either.

Those covers I reccommended from Hawkalarms, are definately for outside and 100% waterproof, as often, a few hours after its rained, I have to lift up the cover slightly to get rid of a pool of rainwater, thats gathered in a crease between the seat and side panel area.

Not sure about whether ACF-50 would waterproof a bike cover Andy, if I was going to do that, I'd go find a tent waterproof spray from Milllets, or similar.

LOL I wasnt suggesting using it on the cover. I meant for the bike. Sorry was abit off topic just thought it might be of use if he hadnt heard of the stuff.

LOL I wasnt suggesting using it on the cover. I meant for the bike. Sorry was abit off topic just thought it might be of use if he hadnt heard of the stuff.

:icon_smile: :icon_smile:

Ilike acf 50 but it means i cant clean my bike as much as id like.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online