fitting new front sprocket???

Irish Gene
This post is 4417 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, I am changing my chain and sprockets on a 2002 SR125.

I have fitted the rear sprocket to the wheel but I'm not sure how the retaining plate for the front sprocket fits and the haynes manual only indicates how to take it off and not fit it!!!

Should the plate be flush with the sprocket? this can be done but the holes for the screws will not align.

The only way i can get it to fit is to allow a gap of about 2mm between the plate and the sprocket....perhaps it is supposed to be like this but not sure.

Could anyone advise as its holding me up big time!!

I will try to attach photo.

Thanks,

Eugene.http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j326/usaaf14/SR125sprocketretaingplate.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Slip the old parts back on then post a photo for us to compare old with new.

I cant get my head around how the locking plate will secure to the sprocket since it looks a pitch out, and what keeps the combined sprocket and plate on the spined shaft

look carefully and you can see a grey arrow, which means turn the sprocket to match up the holes.

And always clean as you go!!

there is an old adage;

If you work in shit, you produce shit...

As Airhead has said there is a groove in the shaft to enable the plate to turn to locate the bolts. It never seemed to be a good design as even with the bolts tightened against the plate the sprocket is still loose on the shaft. Think Honda also used this idea to hold on their front sprockets on some models.

As Airhead has said there is a groove in the shaft to enable the plate to turn to locate the bolts. It never seemed to be a good design as even with the bolts tightened against the plate the sprocket is still loose on the shaft. Think Honda also used this idea to hold on their front sprockets on some models.

yep. The CG125 I had did it!

Its something to do with the chain movement/vibrations, if you lock it up solid on anything bigger than tiddlers the output bearing on the gearbox will wear out double quick.

Its something to do with the chain movement/vibrations, if you lock it up solid on anything bigger than tiddlers the output bearing on the gearbox will wear out double quick.

Don't understand that as most larger capacity bikes even my RD350LC2 has the front sprocket held on with a nut that holds the sprocket tight on the output shaft.

I don't either but my DT is the same as in has a tiny amount of play. Not rattling around like a marble in a tin can just 'not tight'

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online