Gilera 4V project

drewpy
This post is 3189 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

some transfers came today from Classic Transfers, £12 delivered

WP_20140107_0011_zps65364eea.jpg

had the frame properly welded and they also welded my brackets on the fork legs (I need to dress them though)

Frame went to Ashton Powder coat and they'll have it ready for this Friday :hyper:

A bit more painting needed and a bit of machining on some new parts (thanks Bob) as they are not perfect :shakeno:

picked up the frame today, wow it is the dogs dooglies

WP_20140110_0041_zps1da96fd0.jpg

Ashton has done a great job even masking off the frame number and clear coating it

• Like 1

Gorgeous!!

thanks Sasha, no-one sees anything else now till I get it together.

Son's birthday tomorrow so only 1 year late :babyha:

He should consider himself super lucky! I never got any birthday gifts like this! :shrug:

You should have it ready for his 21st. Lol Anyway drewps it's looking good as long as the weather holds shouldn't be long before it's finished.

no it shouldn't, just a matter of bolting it all together and dialling in the engine

WOW Shiny shiny very shiny! Lookin good Drew! won't be long now as Sacha say a very lucky boy.

Wish him Happy Birthday from all of us :birthday::hb2::buzz:

picked up the frame today, wow it is the dogs dooglies

WP_20140110_0041_zps1da96fd0.jpg

Ashton has done a great job even masking off the frame number and clear coating it

Looks brand new!

All the old sins of wear and tear/rotting are gone. Just fantastic what a fresh coat of paint can doo.

Good things come to thoes who wait,,,,, a year is nothing for perfection,esp considering the hunting and sorting to make other parts work on a bike of that age.and still look correct.Lucky lad to have a great DAD like you.

So come monday she will be back in one piece then( ok I know you could have it done in a day but you cant rush perfection) and the picts will be up,and you can get on with the real project of a 72 hp 1988 fz 600.

• Like 1

been working all day on the peripheral paintwork today.

I used the scout hut which has a really powerful heater set to 20'c = bloody hot :)

anyway all done and I'm going to build the bike in the hut I think, as its not being used till Wednesday.

• Like 1

Any port in a storm but thats a nice deal free heated space+ no distractions= faster build. I am running outa popcorn and down to my last 5 cases of beer so quit dilly daddeling.We want Pictuers!!!!!!!!!!!

I would like to see the "hut" when I was in scouts we only had the basement of the local church to use and I dont think they knew what heat was,, other than the little electric fire log we sat around.In frekin shorts and t shirts in the midst of winter,never figured that one out scouts motto "always be prepaired" guess that didnt include long pants and swetters.Pocket knife, needle and thread BS :idea: knitting neddels and yarn would have been a better idea :biglaugha:

I hope the boy is involved in this part of the finnal build,, would say we want picts of his dirty hands but everything is so clean you'd have to send him out to dig in the dirt.Or is this the BD present that he dosen't know about.?

well I started it tonight, I took pictures but your not seeing them yet :)

whilst tightening up the alloy top yolk about 5 mins later i heard a crack, the alloy had cracked. I didn't over tighten so I can only assume it had fatigued.

Luckily I have the steel top yolk that came with the forks so I'll use that.

looking for the bloody return spring for the rear brake lever now, I had it, I did,! but where the feck is it? :madflame:

should finish the main build tomorrow evening and I'll have to push it back home then as the hut is in use for air rifle practise. (we have a competition this weekend)

Jeez thats a bummer about the yoke Drew

But air rifle practice , your scouts do cool stuff man :thumb:

but, ahem when I was in the scouts we went to shoot real rifles at the army range :P

no access now and against POR

better for that yoke to crack now than later mate

it was, tbh its holding, but I'll change it over

just checked the parts book and there's no return spring listed :icon_confused: bit wierd

..002 can kill a good project, as tommy said best it happend now. Nice you have a back up plan

Jeez thats a bummer about the yoke Drew

But air rifle practice , your scouts do cool stuff man :thumb:

but, ahem when I was in the scouts we went to shoot real rifles at the army range :P

You fuckers got riflles in scouts ,,,I got a dirt bike but no one would give me a gun then.

I tried motorbike maintenance on them and got an old crashed suzuki custom thing donated

they basically wrecked it, didn 't know how to turn a spanner. Kids today eh!