Highway Hawks too Loud!

Draggie
This post is 4433 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

Some advice would be very useful.

I have an XVS650 Dragstar. It's got Highway Hawk slash cut pipes, that were on it when I bought it.

The dealer put a 12 month MOT on the bike, wich came with an advisory "loud pipes".

They are extremely loud!!!

I cannot afford replacement pipes at the present. They do have the Highway Hawk baffles fitted (by the slash cut).

Although I am essentially quite happy with the loud pipes, I do get a tad embarrased at times, and concerned that the boys in blue won't be impressed.

Query, does any one know if I pack fibre glass packing around the perforated baffles, will this lower the sound?

Any other ideas??

Thanks in advance folks.

Peter

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

its ok to pack the baffles with glass, its what normally happens anyway.

Just check for any performance deterioration as you may run a bit rich.

Thanks for the advice folks.

Gizmo - Thanks for the offer , but actually like the pipes, just wanted them toned down a tad...although, tbh, the more I ride, the more I am getting used to them!!!

May well leave well alone!

Cheers

Peter

Thanks for the advice folks.

Gizmo - Thanks for the offer , but actually like the pipes, just wanted them toned down a tad...although, tbh, the more I ride, the more I am getting used to them!!!

May well leave well alone!

Cheers

Peter

haha thought that would be the case

worth a try tho' lol

I've heard stove rope is a good packing material for wrapping around baffles...

The noise for the MOT inspector is at his discretion.

I have never failed a bike with pipes that are too loud.

Harleys are loud as standard

Where do you live?

Hey Paul,

Are you still happy to do my MOT in June? if so Could you PM me your works Address so that i can find you when the time comes ;) Cheers again man.