Ethanol in petrol

neversaydie
This post is 4564 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Interesting chat in the works canteen today. After solving the problems of politicians taking the "chums" around the world at taxpayer expense (dont these people ever learn) pretending to be working for the nation, topic switched to ethanol in petrol. One chap was at stafford at the weekend, a number of people commenting that older bikes with brass components in the fuel system finding those components rotting away, allegedly due to the ethanol content.

I am led to believe that the % content in petrol is destined to increase as govts strive to further cut emissions, so if true, the problems may get worse

Do the petrol companines all put the same % content in their fuels, how do we know which ones put less in, shouldnt they advertise the %content at the point of sale?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I don't think the average petrol punter cares TBH. People go for the cheapest or the nearest, dependant on desperation. I see lots of ads for "cleaner" or "more miles per Litre" but I tend just to put in the cheapest. I do treat the bike to a bit of the Super duper one now and again but that is like buying the bike a pet treat. Couldn't tell if they work.

Hi

My previous job was to select metals, elastomers and other materials used in liquids this site offers compatibility references.

http://www.coleparmer.com/techinfo/chemcomp.asp

looking at this it looks like ethanol does not have a recorded effect with brass, that is not to say that there are other fuel additives that could have poor compatibility,

Can't say i have seen anything wrong with the jets in my bikes. I would have thought 'o' rings and gaskets would be at greater risk.

I thought brass was pretty much everything proof, its used widely in the flammable chemical industry AFAIK as it doesent spark when struck and easy to machine/cast.

Hi

My previous job was to select metals, elastomers and other materials used in liquids this site offers compatibility references.

http://www.coleparme...fo/chemcomp.asp

looking at this it looks like ethanol does not have a recorded effect with brass, that is not to say that there are other fuel additives that could have poor compatibility,

Yes, it looks that way. Thanks for your help on this.

http://fbhvc.co.uk/bio-fuels/

Have look here - if you scroll down a bit - well a lot - you will see this

Recommendations for Materials Considered for Use in Ethanol and Ethanol/Gasoline Blend

Brass is not recommended

And there is a lot more info re seals.

cheers

P

http://fbhvc.co.uk/bio-fuels/

Have look here - if you scroll down a bit - well a lot - you will see this

Recommendations for Materials Considered for Use in Ethanol and Ethanol/Gasoline Blend

Brass is not recommended

And there is a lot more info re seals.

cheers

P

• The majority of vehicles 10 years old or older will not be compatible with E10 due to fuel system material incompatibility issues.
  • Carburettor vehicles and powered two wheelers will suffer problems due to material incompatibility, corrosion, and driveability issues.
  • Field experience has demonstrated that vehicles and petrol fuelled equipment fitted with glass fibre fuel tanks may suffer catastrophic failure due to the incompatibility of the glass fibre resin with petrol ethanol blends.
  • Based on vehicle age, approximately 8.6 million vehicles will be unable to run on E10… Based on average vehicle life of 13 years very approximately half these vehicles will still be in use when the proposed phase out of E5 takes place in 2013.

Great research Peter

• 2 weeks later...

hi,re dirtydt earlier reply to this topic,how did using super unleaded affect the performance of your bike? im only asking as i have tried using it in the past & it stuffed the performance on my bike until id used up the fuel in the tank,i believe that it was due to the electronic mapping of the ignition system,it couldnt deal with the higher octane content apparently.

,how did using super unleaded affect the performance of your bike? im only asking as i have tried using it in the past & it stuffed the performance on my bike until id used up the fuel in the tank,i believe that it was due to the electronic mapping of the ignition system,it couldnt deal with the higher octane content apparently.

+1 on that i put super unleaded in my bike the tt600 triumph and it ran like a bag of shit till i used it up for exactly the same reasons you quote, my electronic management system could not handle the higher octane,lower octane and its fine

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online